Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Need help with Price Evaluation 2006 KLX250S

Hey guys,

I've been away for a year and don't have a good grasp on bike prices in the US market, and thus need a bit of help evaluating this price.

I've got a chance to buy a 2006 KLX250S from a friend of mine. My wonderfully awesome fiance Kristi has expressed the urge to ride south to Guatemala and beyond rather than drive south in a cage, hence she needs a bike. I'll be riding my trusty '09 DR650.

For reference purposes, Kristi is 5'9" and 140-50lbs. Strong as an ox as well. Doesn't like the feel of a DR650, and prefers lighter more manageable bike.

Price is $2500. Here are the stats.
*2006 KLX250S
*Year: 2006
*Miles: Between 1000 and 2000, closer to 1000
*Storage: outside and covered in the summers, inside in the winters (which is why current owner doesn't know the mileage right now--it's parked in her friend's garage).
*Condition: some scrapes and dings; brake and clutch levers shortened. She lowered it 2 inches but still has the original links and kickstand. The lowering links and shorter kickstand are included.
*Friend bought it used in 2012 from original owner with less than 600 miles. It was completely stock. Was parked in heated garage for the first 6 years. My friend bought it, added parts below. Now is leaving on multi year round the world backpacking trip and is selling everything she owns.

**Happy trails pannier frame. Perfect condition, never used (all she did was trail ride).
**Ascerbis 3.7 gal gas tank
**Kuoba lowering links
**KLX 250SF kickstand (shorter than original)
**Trackside hand guards and bark busters
**Pro Taper SE 7/8" CR high bend bars
**Utah Sport skid plate
**Double Take mirrors
**Grifter box (hides things under license plate; not compatible with pannier frames).

Here are some photos:
Pictured as fully equipped minus mirros

Pictured fully equipped

Prior to modifications

Prior to modifications

What does everyone think???
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
It's a deal!

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Sounds fair to me. I paid 2200 for my 07 last year with 400 miles on it. You have a few hundred bucks in add-ons on there though. They could probably get around 3k for it if they wanted.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Seems like YOU got a screamin deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Sounds fair to me. I paid 2200 for my 07 last year with 400 miles on it. You have a few hundred bucks in add-ons on there though. They could probably get around 3k for it if they wanted.
$2200 for an '07 is a good deal. I'm pretty sure when my friend bought hers, she paid less than $2k for her bike with similar mileage. She paid just under $1k for her farkles (all purchased new, rather than used), and has owned it for less than 2 years, and ridden it less than 1200 miles. Her original price was ~$2,000 until she came to her senses when I IMMEDIATELY expressed interest. Then she did her research and made me the "friends" offer of $2500.

So, how good a deal is this? Is it one of those, "Don't pass it up idiot, cause the next in line will buy it!!!" or a "Great deal! That'll sell quick" or "Fair price. I'd probably buy that if I needed one."

Just gauging my dollar value here, as I'll have to ride it home 1250 miles after I buy it.

--Alex
Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,446
i just read elsewhere on adv a new leftover 2012 was $3500
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

That bike will go quick, get it if you like it.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
Old 02-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=eakins;23533290]i just read elsewhere on adv a new leftover 2012 was $3500[/QUOTE
Just because someone gets a great sale price doesn't make used any less.
They are over $5k new, this is only $2500 with less than 2000 miles and some prefer this year for longer suspension and taller 6th gear.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
It looks like a really good deal. You're not stealing it at that price but pretty damn close. Tank, skidder, racks, and mirrors really add up. Where did the muzzy go though? These benefit alot from carb adjustments with a can and kdx snorkel.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i just read elsewhere on adv a new leftover 2012 was $3500
I too read that, however, if I remember correctly it was $3500 + destination fees + tax. Or around $4300+ all said and done.

I did also read that the 2006-2007 models have the longer suspension travel (11" front and rear vs 10"), and larger gearing ration (higher 6th gear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler;
It looks like a really good deal. You're not stealing it at that price but pretty damn close. Tank, skidder, racks, and mirrors really add up. Where did the muzzy go though? These benefit alot from carb adjustments with a can and kdx snorkel
Carb has only been set for altitude where she lives (over a mile high), and stock muffler. I'll have to take into consideration the muffler, carb, and airbox mods as well. This girls mechanical ability extends to the exterior of the bike/cosmetics. If it's not pure bolt on, it wasn't modified.

bigalsmith101 screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 02:27 AM
Old 02-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #10
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
price shopping on adv I never understood. You shop for what you want. When you see it, negotiate a deal and buy it. if it doesn't sound right walk away.
The bike described above is hardly overpriced if it is what you are looking for.

The key is knowing what you are looking for and be ready to pull the trigger.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I'd get it...

...but I don't think she'll need the lowering link. I'm about the same size and with proper sag she'll be able to almost flat foot it, especially loaded. So if it had the stock dog bones...or more importantly, if the stock dog bones are not part of the deal you have something for price negotiation.
I bet she'll dig it! It's a great little bike. I would ride mine to SA tomorrow if I had the time and money.
And she must be a keeper, wants to travel to SA with you on her own moto, you are a lucky man!
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
The older models were also about 30 lbs. lighter than the newer ones. More room for luggage, etc.
A 351 kit and this would be an awesome light adv bike. Not bad as is.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
The older models were also about 30 lbs. lighter than the newer ones. More room for luggage, etc.
A 351 kit and this would be an awesome light adv bike. Not bad as is.
I'm not so sure about that 30lb. differential. Every comparison I've seen show the '06/'07 models to be basically the same as the '09 and later model...or at least not enough to make a notable difference. It seems that weights reported by manufacturers have gotten "more honest" in later years.

I prefer the '06/'07 because of the suspension and closer parts affilitation to the off-road-only KLX300.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #14
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Claimed "curb weight" on the newer ones (2009 is when they changed, I think) which should include fuel and oil is 297.
Claimed "dry weight" on a 2006 is 262 so closer to a 15 lb difference depending on their definition of dry and curb. (weights from Kawasaki specs)
Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #15
Wreckster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Boarderline snatch it now foo! Not a bad price for a sorted out travel ready bike. Not bad at all.
Wreckster is offline   Reply With Quote