Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Expedition to Discover the Route North thru Georgia

Oh Well, we can't all have nice catchy titles

The tease

The Mission: Discover a route on as much dirt road as we can from North Florida to North Carolina. This route took us from Jacksonville, Florida to Dillard, Georgia on the North Carolina boarder. This trip measured almost 500 miles one way.

The Expedition Team: This was a hand picked crew of highly seasoned, er well, somewhat experienced,,uh make that guys who could get off work.

The team would be required to travel three days up and then one day all the way back. We started with 11. However the weekend that was originally planned ended up cold and rainy. The launch was pushed back 1 week and now there were 6. So 6 Florida boys of vintage age strike off on adventure.

Dave and Ken, These guys did the video filming. Both have a stable of bikes including KTM 950 and or 1150 GS's.

Sam, world traveler extraordinaire. Sam has spent years on a motorcycle traveling Europe as a younger man, including Eastern Europe before the Wall came down. And as a teen all the way down through Mexico and almost never came back. Well you see there was a girl But, that is for another time.

Craig, he was the new guy added to the group. You see down in this part of the world you always need "The new guy". You know, to deal with bears and such. The old saying, you don't need out run the bear, you just need to out run the slowest guy. Craig did a great job and in the end took one for the team.

Me, your narrator, well because I couldn't do anything else

And our Expedition Leader, Bill. This endeavor is actually his brain child. It was his years of search that found the roads used to put together the route. This was just the first time it was to be explored as one route.

This adventure included full logistical support vehicle

The plan was to have one guy drive the rig half a day each. You would put you bike on the front rack and head for the rendezvous at lunch. Trade off with the next driver at lunch and then drive the rig to the days ending point. A nice Georgia State Park. Where the real "work" began This actually worked out very well. The trip was actually very relaxed and enjoyable. We only had to cover 150 miles a day and the roads ended up being in great condition. Everyone in the group has larger bikes, but since this was exploratory in nature, we used small bikes. As it turned out they were all suzukis. 4 DRZ 400's and 2 DR 650's

GEORGIA, since some may not be familiar with this State the boards five other States it is big and old. It has an interesting beginning especially in the territory we were going to travel through. The Spanish had set up Fort along the coast in the 1500-1600's but not much inland had taken place. The French had some infestations of catholics (this will become clear shortly), but for the most part it was uninhabited. Then in the early 1700's the British ruled the Colonies and General Ogelthorpe had a grand idea. The Debtors prisons where filling up with folks and there was no end in sight. If a man had no job, he quickly fell into debt, was put into prison and with no potential for income, would never get out. Under the Authority of the Trustee of Georgia, the old General came up with a win-win. He would send these people from prison to Georgia to start new towns and become productive people again. He convinced the King to send these folks to Georgia, give each one 50 acres and enough supplies to make it through one years planting. This accomplished several objectives. Emptied the never ending life in prison. Set up (sweat shops) in another country. Actually the thought is the produce could be used back in England to help pay and justify this endeavor. And the best thing was, these British Protestants could colonize and keep the French Catholics from getting the upper hand in the new country. And so Georgia was born.....

We would be traveling in a land that has not really changed much from the 1700's. We would be going through farm lands, wood lands, and occasionally the dreaded hunting leases . You see, the guys (from the big cities) that lease those areas for a couple of hundred dollars a year will be keen to defend that property with their life. At least that is the impression they give carrying those big guns around. So real dangers were a possibility that faced us all. And of course, getting too drunk and falling in a camp fire... Well, it could happen.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
Well done CADS.

Good pix.
Rich, good story line.

Hope the VIDS are following.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Well done CADS.

Good pix.
Rich, good story line.

Hope the VIDS are following.
Yes, 3 days of pictures will be following along with video. Last night I loaded day one and went to post and lost my connection so all of that disappeared

So I will try again tonight.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Thumb I'm Subscribed

Cant wait to see the route. Hope you can share the knowlegde with this transplanted GA Boy and the crew working on this Southern DS loop.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646598

jonnyw screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 07:50 AM
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 786
I'm waiting....!!!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1 The NE Territory

So we begin. Since Georgia got its start similar to Australia it seemed fitting that we start our journey by meeting up at the Kangaroo outside of town. We start in Florida.

It is a cool foggy morning. Temps around 50 when we start, cold by our standards.

So according to plan someone needs to drive to lunch. I volunteer to take the first shift...well it was cold

The raods are nice even from a truck's perspective. That is old faithful, putting its life on the line.

The team is also off and running

Here they hit the Florida Georgia border, crossing the St Mary's River.

Notice the Florida S. Georgia sand color, s you go north it will turn to clay

The sand was fairly firm, nothing too squirely for the big bikes.

Meanwhile in the rig, I am coming up on some riders

Could it be? I left before the team. I went straight to 301 and then north. But somehow I am catching up?? It is about an hour and a half after I left.

Unbelievable, it is them... Could it be that the dirt roads are about as fast as the hard roads?

In about a mile they turn left into the woods again and I continue on to lunch.

I stop at a lunch spot in Screven. I think it maybe the only restuarant as the parking lot is full and not much else in this intersection (not quite a town)

Shortly the team arrives

Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
Discovery rides are always interesting and enjoyable!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,804
Perfect.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1 After lunch

Sams votes on the food.

Sam takes the next turn at driving

Oh and I casually mention to Sam, he is losing air in the rear trailer tire Tag your it.

Meanwhile my turn to start having fun.

This was supermoto stuff

Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1 Afternoon

More good stuff

Just great conditions perfect temps

We break out on hard roads for a map check

Classic Georgia Home

The NASCAR force is strong in this one

Back into the thick of it

Your typical neighborhood, just like Chicago or NY..

It is about 3:30 now and we break out on to another black top and can you believe this...again

We over take the rig, with Sam driving.

We decide to stop for gas and chat

So twice in one day, we find ourselves making about the same time as a vehicle traveling straight through.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1 the a good finish

We determine that the tire needs to be replaced. Sam confers with locals and starts searching for trailer tires.

We hit the road, good luck buddy!

We take a break for our Suzuki commercial

We finish at the George Smith State Park north west of Statesboro AND we pull in the same time as Sam. Actually follow him into the park. Wow the timing is starting to amaze us.

We get our spot for the rig and the night

Our spot over looking the lake

Oh, Sam did find a tire. However they wanted $5 to mount it. He said he almost walked away Total cost $22

A good day

Our first day was like clock work. It was time to settle in. 4 of us slept in the trailer, one in the van and one in a tent. The State Park wanted to charge us $5 a vehicle, in the end they just let us in and said have a good night. Picking the sleeping arrangements is always dicy. The trailer had two beds in the back and couch in the front. Someone had to sleep on the floor and someone else on the couch. When we loaded the trailer Sam and Dave took dibs on the two beds in the back. That left the floor to "bear bait" (Craig the new guy) and then what to do with me??? Well Dave was concerned about Sam's snoring, as Dave is a light sleeper. I volunteer to take a bullit for Dave and sleep in the back with "snooring Sam"

The next morning it was Craig that snoored and Sam didn't. So all was working out great for me Day 2 coming up....
Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 663
Just a little teaser vid. More to come...

One of many awesome GA backroads in the middle of nowhere.

Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
Just a little teaser vid. More to come...

One of many awesome GA backroads in the middle of nowhere.

Did I actually see Bill slow down AND stand up on the pegs in that vid??? A first for me!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,586
I'm in.

If you lads made it to Dillard you rode right by my house....

or else you missed the best part of your trip.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 663
Check out the terrain transitions.

Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote