Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #31
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Day 2 still going

We stop at another State Park

It has a nice water fall

Inside the park behind waterfall

I guess by now you notice all of the crowds It was like we had the whole State to ourselves

Sam and his hog

While we are playing tourist, Bill close flying up and now we have the whole team. This group should get the towns folk nervous

Here is a neat trail that would have been fun to explore

It followed along that river

Our next stop was Heavy's BBQ..this had an interesting story, it is where the bar scene was filmed in the movie Sweet Home Alabama

That wagon is filled with coke bottles

Our next stop was an old church, built in the late 1700's

Inside

Here is the secret caption contest photo

Finally we pull into Alexander Stephens State Park for the night

Get to our spot that Bill had parked at earlier in the day. Good thing too it was the last available spot as they were full

For me it was the end of another good day

kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #32
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post
Todays plan is Bill (our leader) will drive the rig all the way to our caming stop for the night and then ride his route back until he meets up with us. Our job if we can handle it, is to take our time and enjoy the day ie. go slow...

The fun begins

Which way do we go again??

It felt like the movie North by Northwest, just the middle of absolute no where. Cotton fields as far as the eye could see

Ok I can take a hint already, go ahead smell the roses, could be your last chance.

Today was shorter and more scenic, about 140 mi. (w/ an extra loop at the end), and after yesterday's 220 miles (remember we kept catching the truck) would be more relaxed and provide more time to stop and generally fart around, which I see they did in abundance.

So I get the rig to the nights campsite and hustle the little DR down thru central Ga. (within an inch of it's life) to try an meet up with them for the remainder of the day. I find them lolligagging around Hamburg SP acting like tourists taking pictures of each other, with no motivation whatsoever.

Luckily they'd been there awhile so it wasn't too hard to get 'em moving again. Day two finished out with some nice scenery (we were getting into what I call Ga. hill country) and an extra loop that was more technical than what we'd already seen. I think everyone enjoyed it because there was a good bit of whoopin and hollerin' afterwards.

Day two was even better than day one, things were looking good.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #33
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 3 into the Hills

After Crawfordville's China Buffet, we all could barely move from eating so much. Between our group and the Durham Town crowd of MX guys we had control of the place.

Next morning turned out to once again be perfect weather.

Buttoned up and ready to leave. It would be Ken driving this morning.

Come on lets go!!!

Exiting the Park

Not far from the State Park and we are back in the woods

It is dusty? or just me???

These maybe too many pictures, but I wanted you to get a feel for the roads as much as possible.

Came upon this sign, we are near Athens at this point

A molty crew indeed

More dirt and another break

Even the paved roads are nice

Sometime after this photo we ended up in Royston to have lunch. This is when Poocher stopped by on his KLR 650.

This is now after lunch as Ken is now in the back and Craig is driving the Rig.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #34
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 3 Late Afternoon

We stopped in at Traveler's Rest. This is an old Stage Coach stop from the 1700's.

This last section got into the mountains. We started to wick it up and the only pictures now will be video of this section. Going into the hills

At the end of our ride we stop at this church/ cemetary. This actually is set up for mass.

Once back on pavement it was twisties into Dillard

We finished off with Dinner at the Dillard House..this was big food

Then after dinner once again, we needed assistance to move Our next ATV ride.

Next day we headed back to Jacksonville. It was questionable about getting all the bikes to fit into the Airstream, so Sam and Craig volunteered to ride the route back to Jacksonville. They were able to do quite a bit of the dirt roads, in the end it required some highways to make it one day. It is a route of almost 500 miles. Thanks for following our little "expedition".
Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #35
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,419
Good ADV. I enjoyed the read. One of those above pix of you guy all in a turn is a classic. It's fun to run a bunch of dirt bikes in a pack like that.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #36
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
Good ADV. I enjoyed the read. One of those above pix of you guy all in a turn is a classic. It's fun to run a bunch of dirt bikes in a pack like that.
Hey thanks neighbor, yeah Rich doles out a pretty good RR now and then (and thanks Rich, I know it took some time to organize, specially all those pics). Some of 'em showed up a few times.

We had fun coming down the hill at the end (actually the whole trip was great fun) but I think mainly we were just in a hurry to get to dinner.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #37
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 742
Guess that's what I get for not going to the meetings. Bill told me about it last night. Sign me up from round two. Nice job guys.
06 DRZ-400S (4 sale soon)
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #38
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Nice ride .you cad guys always seem to have fun
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #39
Sportakus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider View Post

This adventure included full logistical support vehicle

Can you do your motorbike in front of your car!!!

In Spain this it's impossible...

I live in 3er world...

pd: Great pics friend...

YAMAHA XT660Z Ténéré 2008
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
Sportakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #40
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportakus View Post
Can you do your motorbike in front of your car!!!

In Spain this it's impossible...

I live in 3er world...

pd: Great pics friend...
Hi,

Thanks. This bike on the front was a little tricky at night. We had to pick a bike that would allow the lights to shine through We ended up have to take a muffler off.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #41
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Hey Rich,
Looks like a great ride. I rode with you and Sam and met Waybill at the Hooch ride last summer. Figured we might see you at Devils Creek. I'll have to tell you about that one some time as it required ambulance and helicopter rides to Tampa General Give a shout next time you have a ride up to GA. Did Bill ever get that route mapped across Fla?

Dave
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #42
kaosrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeRace View Post
Hey Rich,
Looks like a great ride. I rode with you and Sam and met Waybill at the Hooch ride last summer. Figured we might see you at Devils Creek. I'll have to tell you about that one some time as it required ambulance and helicopter rides to Tampa General Give a shout next time you have a ride up to GA. Did Bill ever get that route mapped across Fla?

Dave
Hi, Remember last year well, had a great time. Hope to make it to Hooch again. Had a conflict for Devils Creek. I was watching though and saw all the issues Martine had, it was a shock to me as he is way over my head as a rider. Just shows anything can happen anytime. I hope he is back to 100% now. As to the route across Fl, Bill has a bunch or routes and is trying to tie the across Florida with this one through GA etc. Unfortunately it is all in his head. It rides off memory, so getting into a GPS and easily distributed is the current challenge
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #43
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeRace View Post
Hey Rich,

Dave
Hi Dave. I wasn't aware that Martine got hurt, I hope he's alright.

To answer your question, not quite. I was about done with the Fla. coast to coast to coast route when we talked but put it aside to work on this Ga. deal. Now that it's done except for a couple small miscues when we rode it, I'll finish the Fla. one pretty soon.

The Georgia route we rode is just the middle three days of a five day route that starts near Daytona Bch and ends in Tellico Plains, Tennessee. The first and last days are already familiar from years of riding those areas. I was looking for a way to get near the TAT from the Atlantic Coast that went from Fla. to Tenn., ultimately creating a diagonal route across the country (with a small gap, not wanting to tie directly to TAT) utilizinging the five states, I'm calling it SET (Southeastern Trail).

Like Rich says the toughest part is getting it into a format so everyone else can see it. Dave (Day 13) has been a big help so far getting it on GPS and we oughta have it cleaned up and ready soon. Then the Fla. ccc and maybe a couple others will follow. It'll likely be in the Vendor's section when it gets done.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #44
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
On with the show!!

Well, I finally got some of the video from our trip sorted and will post up the action from Day One tonight with more to come tomorrow (promise)!

We begin at the beginning...

Here we are at the jumping off point in W. Jax. and we're finally ready to hit the road/trails!!

It wouldn't be long till we left the pavement and found DIRT!!

It got good quick!!

A brief stop for a photo op and we leave Florida behind for a few days!

The scenery began to improve and so did our sense of anticipation for what was yet to come. I was almost shouting in my helmet I was so excited!!

Some of these old Georgia backroads allowed us to make really good time. We kept a good pace and covered a lot of ground.

It was so cool to see the Heartland of the South as we wound our way through these old rural areas.

Bill did a masterful job of linking pavement and dirt (mostly dirt!) as we worked our way north. Scenic surprises greeted us around almost every bend.

To see the old farms and plantations was a real treat as well as a rare glimpse into the life of these locals going back for generations.

Sam flouting all convention (and laws!) as we rolled into our first night's destination. What a day it's been! The sense of success so far and good things to come made for a great time of discussion and anticipation.

More to come tomorrow. It gets better...
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #45
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote