thanks for sharing that - very interesting insight

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #47
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
Day 2 Videos

Day 2 began with Bill driving the support vehicle ahead to the next campground, unloading his bike and riding back to meet us on the trail. I would lead our merry band (I hoped!) with the route in my GPS. As we moved farther north we began to see subtle changes in terrain and topography. We were fired up and looking forward to a good day of riding and enjoying the scenery. We were not disappointed.

We saw all kinds of cotton fields and other evidence of the agrarian economy that dominated the area. It was like going back in time in some respects.

Classic Georgia red clay backroads with a sprinkling of pavement thrown in occasionally. A few glimpses of my speedo indicates we were making good time!

If this isn't true Classic Adventure Dual Sporting, I don't know what is!!

We met up with Bill at Hamburg SP and I fell to the back of the pack to get a different perspective. DUSTY!!

This was a sweet little stretch that we all really liked. Dust on the camera lens and the angle of the sun compromised the quality of the video some, but you still get the effect. KILLER!

Here are a couple of vids from Ken of some of the same roads from his view. Good stuff.

That's all from Day 2. Another great day of adventure! No mechanical issues and no crashes were the icing on the cake. Tomorrow:

THE MOUNTAINS!!

Day13 screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 11:20 AM
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #48
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 693
Good stuff Dave. It's nice to see the first half of day 2 from a bike and in daylight. You had me lost there a couple times.

Was there any video from that last loop we did after the 1700 church? Or are you saving it for later?

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #49
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,567
Very cool! Great idea for a trip, great pics and video.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
lostmarbles
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
do you have the GPS file for your adventure

Don't tell me the skies the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Have you seen my marbles?
you can't be lost if you still have half a tank
save 5$ on smugmug.com coupon #----(DE9oGz4LoiNZA )
lostmarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #51
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 742
very nice Dave.... mountains........ oh yeah.....
06 DRZ-400S (4 sale soon)
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #52
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Day 2 Wrap up

Sorry for the delay guys. Work and family issues, you know!

Per Bill's special request, here is some "Bonus Coverage" of a really cool loop that he showed us at the end of Day 2. Unfortunately, my helmet cam battery died just as we turned into the trail, but Ken was right on time and got the shot. Of these 3 clips, the first is about 1 minute, the second is about 5 and the last is almost 10. I tried to split the last file up but it got really messed up for some reason (I'm getting new video editing software!) so I just put up the original raw file. It's great as is, and I think really captures the original feel of the ride.

There was consensus that this loop was the highlight of the trip so far. It was also agreed that if this stuff was wet it would be like eel snot or some such thing! At the very end you can hear me exclaim, "Thanks a lot!" to Rich, who unknowingly and unintentionally (so he says! ) sent a wall of muddy goop into the air which I rode directly into, covering me from head to toe in funky orange swill. I was the only one who looked like I had been offroad riding!

This was a perfect way to close out our second day of the trip. We were so pumped afterward that we were reluctant to head to the camp. The trip so far completely exceeded my wildest expectations and we hadn't even gotten to the mountains yet. This trip came together like clockwork and it was evident that this brainchild of Bill's was more than just an off the cuff weekend roadtrip. This was, in my mind, reminiscent of the early pioneers finding a route through the wilds to a desired destination, then planning and persevering to make it happen. Challenging, but oh so rewarding. I sure hope I'm on the next one.

I'll get you to the mountains next!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #53
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

Day 3 The Last Hurrah!

I know it seems like it has taken me forever to post these videos (it has!) but the challenge for me is not to post them all! I had 133 video files of our trip (mine & Ken's) with 40 of the last day alone. Sifting through them all and trying to determine which ones to leave out is a greater task than one might think. That is my feeble excuse. Enough whining...

I couldn't bear to omit the beginning of our last day. The terrain is somewhat similar to what has already been seen, but it was too good not to include. I'll go light on the narrative and let the vids do the talking. A picture really is worth a thousand words, especially mine!!

Well, we finally got to some real elevation! This is where the big picture sense of the trip really took hold for me. From sandy, flat Florida just two days before, to this, emphasised the scope of what we'd accomplished. The fact that we'd come this far on almost all dirt was amazing.

A little ominous cloud action overhead

Gotta give some kudos to the new guy, Craig right here. He drew the short straw and the driving duties for this part of the trip and wanted to do what Bill had done the day prior and make the campground, unload his bike and come back to meet us. I must admit, I was laying odds he'd never find us. Thankfully, I was wrong. Not only did he find us, he got to camp, unloaded his bike and found us much farther down the trail than even seemed possible. He stood tall the whole trip.

Well, that's all I've got. Having the opportunity to make this trip was incredible and I can't thank Bill enough for having the brains to put this together and the balls to pull it off. Thanks also to a great bunch of guys I've had the pleasure of getting to know in the last year and a half. Sam, Rich, Ken, and most recently Craig are the kind of guys that make this stuff really memorable. Getting to relive it again through posting these videos just makes me chafe to do it again. On big bikes!!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #54
waybill
cheap thrill

I haven't looked at today's videos yet, but I just want to say Dave you truly are The Man!! Thanks for posting them and all the hours put in editing them. And thanks again to Rich for getting the rr going.

This has been about a year in the works between finding the route thru Ga. and working out the logistics (originally it was going to be 11 or 12 riders and two rigs). Perfect weather, a bit of luck, and a really great group of guys allowed it come off like clockwork. It ended up probably being the most fun I've ever had on a bike, and that goes back almost fifty years.

For those who've asked and those maybe wondering, the route will be available as a GPS file. It won't be free though. After much deliberation (originally I'd intended it to be), a little research, and considerable feedback, it's going to carry a small charge. When we were riding home in the truck I asked each one to put a value or price on what they thought the route was worth to them, having ridden 3/5 of it. They all came in between $75. and $100. I was thinking $35., although the further we rode the more it wanted to creep up. So I'm meeting them in the middle at $45.00

And again, the entire route is Five days not three. It begins (or ends) near Ormond Beach, Fla. at the Atlantic Ocean and goes to Tellico Plains, Tennessee on the western side of the Appalachians. The intention was to have a state park for camping at the end of each day's ride. Each of the primary state parks also have cabins and reservations for them should be considered, especially weekends. There are also secondary state parks along the way if a slower or faster pace is desired (our pace was 140 to 210 mile days, the longer days can be ridden faster). There are restaurant recommendations (some good ones) for lunch and dinner each day and some recommended gas stops. There will also be some motel info if requested. And lastly there will optional routes for the first and last days, one more direct, and another more scenic or more fun.

Dave and I just need to finish up a couple small corrections and get it finalized, should be pretty soon. I'm thinking it'll be in the Vendor's Section here on ADVRIDER. I'll post to this thread when it's available, thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #55
GR8GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Amen, Brothers!

Finally back from Jamaica (no problem) and Bikeweek and had some time to watch the last day's videos and re-live our adventure. Let me add my thanks and appreciation, especially to Bill for all his work in planning this trip, and to Rich and Dave for hours of work in posting the commentary, photos and videos. Helmets off to Sam and Craig for making the ride back, although maybe it was easier than loading the bikes . I truly can't remember having more fun with a bunch of great guys on two wheels and can't wait to do it again!

Ken
GR8GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #56
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,222
That looks like it was an absolutely amazing ride!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #57
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,226
Great job Bill.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #58
waybill
cheap thrill

Thanks Dave, it's always good when a plan comes together. You should give it a go one of these days once you get the new bike, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the route and the big Yammie.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #59
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
That looks like it was an absolutely amazing ride!
I'd guess it depends on your perspective, and it's pretty tame by the standards set around here, but we sure had a lot of fun and I think we're all looking forward to doing it again, maybe the five days consecutively.

Dave and I finally got around to riding the Fla. section last week and getting the tracks recorded, and the mountain section is pretty much already in the bag, so it looks like I'm running out of excuses.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #60
Day13
Worst Avatar EVER!

The beginning at the end...

Well, as Bill mentioned in the above post we FINALLY got around to riding the last (or first, depending on your direction) section of the South East Trail ride. What a day it was! We somehow convinced each other to take the big KTM's, which proved to be a good decision except for one teeny little section (ahem). We met up in Green Cove Springs and got our game plan together.

We took off to SR 21 and soon found ourselves on some nice back roads on a beautiful day that was the coolest day in the forecast recently. The 950's were eating this up.

The pavement quickly came to an end and we got what we came for! Pure bliss!!

Most all of the pics are unfortunately of me as Bill had very limited subject matter!

I was never really sure where we were even though I had the GPS.
It was a varying of typical Florida terrain that all seemed to be flying by at what I later called, "hyper scouting speed!" (Them KTM 950's will do that to ya!)

A bit of respite and a great burger at the Orange Springs Diner. The food at this place is way above average and cheap too!

Hammer down to the next cool spot on the trip.

This is somewhere in Ocala National Forest that is a really neat little spot. The way the trees grow here along with the recent fires made for a sort of ethereal backdrop. Strictly off limits to motorized vehicles, of course!

El Capitan contemplating the rough stuff to come. We're headed to the ferry across the St. Johns river, but there's some, shall we say, challenging terrain to be traversed before we get there.

We made it. Cool ferry shots...

Once on the east side of the river we stopped in a little fish camp tavern to inquire about lunch possibilities and just generally check the place out. Neat place. Quaint and laid back.

It was beginning to get late so we beat feet toward the coast. I was really feeling the anticipation of drawing this endeavor to it's conclusion and thinking about all we had seen from one end of the trip to now. We got to the salt marshes east of US 1 and I knew it wouldn't be long before we would be at the end of the line.

And finally, there it was. The expanse of the Atlantic. I felt like Balboa (except different ocean, of course).

And by the way, we weren't parking, just resting!!

Well, that wraps up about the best motorcycle adventure you could have in Florida by my estimation. Add that to the rest of the route up to TN and I'd say it rates East Coast Epic, for sure. Thanks to Bill for the countless hours and enormous expense he put into connecting all the dots and letting me and a few other lucky stiffs tag along.

I'll get some video of this final segment together soon. Trying to deal with some significant family issues at present.