Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #16
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRPierre
I had a 92 FJ1200 and finally sold it to my son last year with 115,000km on the clock. Took it to Alaska, Newfoundland, etc everywhere. Comfy with plenty of power. I occasionally ride it these days when we switch bikes around and I'm still impressed how nicely it handles. If you want to upgrade the brakes, suspension or whatever, there are several active FJ owners communities which have every farkle under the sun documented. I still go to the FJ Rally in NC and there are some bikes there with hundreds of thousand of miles on them, running through the NC mountain twisties like there is no tomorrow.
Great bike!
Me too! In fact I rode down with you last year from Mabry's Mill w/ Frank, Eric, and Norbert. (it's me, dan!) Hope to make it again this year. You?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #17
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
Fj1100

Ive got an FJ1100,,Ive had it for about 8 years now and its in a million bits in my garage.
I used to ride it home to Lismore from Sydney and back every week,1600 KLM round trip,it never let me down.It got very tired so Im renewing everything.
I'd never sell it,,its wonderful.It cost me $3000 with 12 months rego.
peter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
I owned a 1989 and put about 8k on it over two years. The black and gold was just beautiful on that bike. The torque output on this motor is addictive. Power is available from just off idle. The handling is slow but it tracks a corner very well. The riding position is sport/tourer and I found the bike crampy after a 750mi day so that I was glad to get off of it where my GS at the time never left me feeling that way.

As others have said, it is close to maintenance free with a leaky float bowl O-ring the only problem I encountered. I dropped the bike once on some fresh asphalt and it left me shocked how fast it hit the ground. Did very little damage. I also low sided the bike on some black ice and did about $300 worth of damage. After that I decided that Colorado was not the best place to own that kind of bike.

I loved the motor much more than my brother's FJR1300 that I've ridden... it's that good. The rest of the bike is good and has no surprises, but it's the motor that overshadows every other impression. If you have a wrist twist addiction, be prepared to get some tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #19
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
I bought a 1990 FJ1200 recently, and so far I like it. Plenty of power, stable at high speeds, and comfy enough. I need to replace the suspension (the rear especially), but even still, on smooth roads it easily drags pegs. My big complaints are the range (250 miles is about max), and the aftermarket pipe which is too loud (but I like the 4 in 1 exhaust). It is also consuming some oil, tho I haven't determined where it's going (there's no apparent leak, and no blue smoke, but gone it is). The only other complaint I have is that I find I'm always doing between 95 and 115 on the freeways. I have to focus on going more sane speeds. But unlike the R100GSPD, I never want for enough power to get out of those on-ramp cluster fucks or pass on a twisty road. And I really dig the instrument display, for whatever that's worth.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
suzukis gsx 1100 f (katana in usa) are faster and a great option as reliable workhorses.. plus adjusting the valves is easier
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer
I bought a 1990 FJ1200 recently, and so far I like it. Plenty of power, stable at high speeds, and comfy enough. I need to replace the suspension (the rear especially), but even still, on smooth roads it easily drags pegs. My big complaints are the range (250 miles is about max), and the aftermarket pipe which is too loud (but I like the 4 in 1 exhaust). It is also consuming some oil, tho I haven't determined where it's going (there's no apparent leak, and no blue smoke, but gone it is). The only other complaint I have is that I find I'm always doing between 95 and 115 on the freeways. I have to focus on going more sane speeds. But unlike the R100GSPD, I never want for enough power to get out of those on-ramp cluster fucks or pass on a twisty road. And I really dig the instrument display, for whatever that's worth.
Since I hepled you in getting the bike , I think it only fair to offer assistance with several of the problems you seem to be experiencing. First and foremost, the best way to increase the 250 mile range on that particular bike is to try and keep the speeds below 95, and certainly below 115 mph. And once you bring the bike down from those sub-sonic speeds, and RPM's , that oil consumption thing might dwindle down as well. Seriously, glad that you are enjoying the bike....but please, don't change out that Hindle exhaust......I loved hearing Bill fire that up on a Sunday morning.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #22
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
hey Mike,
Yeah, I'm well aware that my driving habits have a direct effect on my milage... I'm working on that . Actually, I don't mind the exhaust so much once I have the ear plugs in - it's just that everyone around me seems to hate it so. My neighbors, anyone in a residential 'hood, etc etc. I'm just not used to getting the nasty looks. And my head sure does buzz at the end of a spirited ride.
The bike is fun. But to be honest, it scares me a little. The GSPD is like a garden tractor compared to it. I need to learn to reign in that power band a bit.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #23
samuidave
The Dude abides...

Oddometer: 143
FJs

I have owned three of them. The first was a 1984, the next the 1989, and then back to the earlier 1985 model (current bike).

Perfectly comfortable to me, and I once logged a documented 3400-miles in a three-day rally years ago to back that up.

I found for some unexplicable reason the earlier models to have a sportier feel, though they all look pretty similar on paper (weight most likely).

Funny how I went through the more modern style sports tourers -- 1994 BMW R1100RS and the 1997 Honda VFR750 -- but tracked back in 2001 to an old FJ.

My $.02 .... a bike that can still surprise.
samuidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #24
SkiMan
Nora's freezin' on the...

Oddometer: 127
FJ frame sliders

I Have a 1990 that I bought this past summer with 18k on it.
This bike has turned out to be more then I had hoped for
Touring comfort and lots of pull. Not alot of maintanance other than
having to keep a check on the oil.
I am looking for a suggestion as to where I can find a set of frame sliders
for alittle added protection without going to guards. Any recommendations
on a source, size and placement
SkiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull
Anybody ride an old FJ 1100 or 1200 or has riddend one in the past? I'm thinking of one as a cheap touring bike to give the Duc monster 900 a break. Yeah, I know, the monster is not a very good touring bike, but I did'nt know I would fall in love with touring and I love the bike too much to give it up for something more practical.
Anyhow, I've read good things about the old FJ's over the years, but wanted to check in and hear some first hand opinions on the bike.
I have a buddy who owned a '91 for a number of years, and recently purchased a '92 which he intends to keep for a right long time. Apparently the ergos, etc., are just his cup of tea. He's toured on both and does quite fine.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #26
Minneso-Cold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Owned a 92 FJ - Smoothest bike I ever rode - Power monster - specs showed 0-60 at 2.9 secs (not bad) Top speed 146 (been there - done that). I put 50k on the bike and no mechanical issues. I had Givi hard bags a Corbin seat and toured the country with my daugther, we camped the entire time. The bike was a work hourse carried all the gear and pulled strong at all times. Should have keep that bike. I always said, if Yamaha came out with an FJ with shaft drive I'd own one. I rode a FJR13 and was somewhat disappointed, it didn't seem to have the raw power I remember from the FJ12.
Minneso-Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #27
Fudge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Here is a good resource for parts for the FJ:

http://www.fjclub.co.uk/

Also there is a good Yahoo group dedicated to maintaining the FJ, well worth the visit if you need info.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Needs more leg room for the tall.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #29
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien
Needs more leg room for the tall.

True. Mine rode like a flying couch though.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #30
AirSwim
Miles Ahead

Oddometer: 250
Fj Is Da Bomb!

The FJ absolutely rocks! Especially, when you factor in the dirt cheap price. The engine is a super smooth, trouble-free and tough torque mine, the ergos provide a mostly comfortable fit for the long-haul. The problem with owning any bike of this vintage is that most dealers will not work on the engine. But if you're willing and able to do the work, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better sport-touring bike than a later , '90 onward, FJ1200. Also, I believe its engine still continues to delight riders in a Japan-only standard Yamaha. Is it the XJR1300? I remember some members here singing that bike's praises a couple of years ago. Maybe they would care to chime in again. In any case, the reliable, competent FJ never fails to satisfy. I'm glad someone took the time to mine this thread out, here's my bump! Keep talkin' FJ, love to hear more!
AirSwim is offline   Reply With Quote