User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
New 2009 Burgman 400

I just got her unloaded. After I grab some lunch, I'll go put some miles on her.

Lots of storage areas.

Hard to get a proper photo of, but underseat storage area is huge.

I thought it was a nice touch having a light under the seat. That was a nice surprise.

I really like the pearl white. If they had the 650 in white, I probably would have bought it over a black 400. I'm glad the 400 was white.

Zero miles. Not for long!

I resisted the temptation of the 2011 ABS equipped Executive. Pretty!

I also resisted the allure of the '09 650, even though it was a smokin' price at $5800. The 650 reminds me of the ST1100 with the signals in the mirrors, and the headlights remind me of a ZX-12R I used to have. Good looking bike, that Burgman is!

I'll post some thoughts on the ride once I log some real miles. I think I'm really going to enjoy this. It will make a fine commuter vehicle.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,459
Now, thats a lot of scooter. Looks good.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Congrats! The pearl white looks great.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Very nice!!

I think the B400 is a great machine...perfectly capable of schlepping a person and his or her stuff down the road with good velocity, comfort and safety.

If it ever comes time to replace my SWing, I'd have to look seriously at the B400. I don't really trust the transmission in the B650-have heard a lot of negative stuff about it self-destructing and being very expensive to repair-but the B400 has a tried and true CVT like the SWing.

I think you're going to have a blast with that...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
HowHH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
The Burgman looks really nice in that color. Haven't yet seen it in the wild. The white really pops in contrast with the black panels.

The B400 is on my short list for my next scooter. Hopefully by fall I'll have enough pennies saved. I look forward to hearing your ride impressions once you've had to give it a good test on the road. Enjoy!
HowHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
All I can say is, Wow! What a beautiful scooter you've got yourself there!

I love the white too! I love the Silver and While Burgmans. But I think your going to LOVE this scooter! Although you might regret not getting a 650, believe me at the pump when you calculate 60-70 MPG you won't at all!

I am definitely going to have to get one myself! It will have to wait a little while, but I know I will have one soon! I will first get a Harley, and then a Burgman 400. I think this will complete my stable for a little while, but nothing will complete it permanently!

But good buy! Can't wait to hear more about it.

BTW, I really love the under seat storage! It even has a light!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I like my Burgman 400 (mine is an '07 with about 45,000kms on the clock), the only thing that I dislike is the screen - if you are over 5'10" it is rubbish. Swap the screen to a Givi and it's hard to think of anything negative at all.
Mine had about 4,000kms on the clock when I bought it, so I have added quite a bit - I've done city commuting and some long touring as well as several bike rallies and camping trips. I've yet to have any problems and I have only done the regular maintenance work (oil, filters, tyres, brake pads, spark plugs, new belt, etc.). In fact on the Burgman USA forum the B400 is noted for being the most reliable of the Burgman family.
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Nice ride!
I prolly would have gone with the B650 exec - cause one can never have enough braking control esp. on motorcycles, so I'd have the B650 over the others just for the ABS. That being said, while I like the white (my Jetmax is white) I also like the silver/grey flavour of the exec on the showroom floor - it just pops IMHO.
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Burgman 400: The Eva Mendez of scooters!

Howdy,

What a beautiful scoot! Had finances permitted, this would've been my first choice as well. We expect lots of posts on this impressive scoot. White increases visiblity and overall road presence, that's a good thing. Enjoy that baby.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,733
Very Jealous over here.

Awesome scoot! Love the white.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned View Post
so I'd have the B650 over the others just for the ABS.
Well, they do have an ABS option for the B400 as well.
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
woodentoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I bought a 400 back in 04 and sold it and bought an 07 650 Exec. I now ride an ST1300 and love it but I have nothing but good things to say about both of my Burgmans. I put many thousands of wonderful miles on both of them. Congratulations, you are going to love this bike.
woodentoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Thanks, everyone!

The whole family has been enjoying the new 400, especially my 8 y.o. son! We went for a breakfast fixin's run to the grocery store this morning when it was only 41 degrees! Two full-face helmets and two pair of gloves under the seat while shopping, and still room to spare. When we came out, two bags of groceries under the seat, and two miles back home.

After the gut buster breakfast, we went back out and rode around for another 20 miles. I kept asking my boy if he was cold and he said no! keep riding!

I took my wife and one of my daughters for a spin around the neighborhoor. My nephews came over and rode the Honda Metro 50s, and we went back in town once again! 50 miles logged so far. I haven't even gotten a chance to take it out on a faster road as of yet, but that will change when I commute on Wednesday.

I like how the CVT acts as an engine brake like a hydrostatic transmission downhill. I also like the smoothness, handling, and the braking. It's a slick little piece.

The pearl white looks like a fishing lure in the sun.

So far so good. I'll post more when I log some decent miles. I really have nothing negative to say at all. It's a fun ride!

Thanks to all for all the kind words!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Congrats, that is a great looking scooter and a nice color. I think the B400 has to be one of the best choices right now of all the maxiscooters, it is more nimble than the 650 but still very comfy and actually has more underseat storage than the 650. With rapidly rising gas prices, the 60-70 mpg of the 400 just can't be touched by any of the other maxi scooters. This bike is on my short list for my next scooter.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #15
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Thanks, everyone!

The whole family has been enjoying the new 400, especially my 8 y.o. son! We went for a breakfast fixin's run to the grocery store this morning when it was only 41 degrees! Two full-face helmets and two pair of gloves under the seat while shopping, and still room to spare. When we came out, two bags of groceries under the seat, and two miles back home.

After the gut buster breakfast, we went back out and rode around for another 20 miles. I kept asking my boy if he was cold and he said no! keep riding!

I took my wife and one of my daughters for a spin around the neighborhoor. My nephews came over and rode the Honda Metro 50s, and we went back in town once again! 50 miles logged so far. I haven't even gotten a chance to take it out on a faster road as of yet, but that will change when I commute on Wednesday.

I like how the CVT acts as an engine brake like a hydrostatic transmission downhill. I also like the smoothness, handling, and the braking. It's a slick little piece.

The pearl white looks like a fishing lure in the sun.

So far so good. I'll post more when I log some decent miles. I really have nothing negative to say at all. It's a fun ride!

Thanks to all for all the kind words!

Sounds like your havin lots of fun with it! Can't wait to hear more about it! Also I like how quick you posted those pictures the day you bought it!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote