Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #76
Ducs2Dirt
Not quite all there

Oddometer: 168
I guess I'm gonna be a minority here. I just picked up my new 2011 GSA this weekend and I like the exhaust.

Coming from my 07 GS, which I had 2 cans for it while i had it. One stock and the other an Offenback i picked up for shits and giggles. I went back and forth between the cans, since they were soooo easy to swap out. I liked the stock can for its performance and smoothness. The bike just seemed to run 10 times better with it on. I didn't have any power commanders or powerblocks...etc on the old GS.

With the Offenbach, it opened up that ugly yet unique boxer sound. But it ran rough in my opinion. Even with the TB's sync'd. It seemed to have no backpressure when you wristed the throttle from 0% to anything above 0%. It would delay..... then BARK. But we're not here to talk about that. But I liked the sound. It was loud enough for my tastes and quiet enough when i was plodding along the slabs at 65 mph around 3k.

The new GSA exhaust seems to be a blend of the two and I personally like it. It was quiet enough coming home on the highway but it has the loud aggressive tone when you get on it. Perfect for a GS(A) IMO. If i wanted a stealth bike I would of gotten an RT.

Ducs2Dirt screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 10:52 AM Reason: Handicapped sticker for my keyboard has been applied for
Ducs2Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #77
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
^ i'm with you, and like the sound as well. not too loud, and a tad more agressive than the pre '10 models. what's interesting are the comments from my riding friends, the exhaust note is one of the first things they noticed when i rode it for the first time.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #78
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Thank you for your opinion but as stated in the first post this thread is for those who DON'T like it. Please start your own thread entitled "I just LOVE my new boxer's sound!" and refrain from cluttering up this one.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #79
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Thumb Dyslexia?

Maybe loud pipes bring out latent dyslexia, or they just want oppose, go get them
Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #80
Ducs2Dirt
Not quite all there

Oddometer: 168
Had wayyy too much coffee this morning. I might of premature posted. I think i might of read thru the first page in under 5 seconds. My mistake.
Ducs2Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #81
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
I love the exhaust.

That is all.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #82
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybob View Post
Update on 3-12-11: read post #41.

Or is it just me? I love the torquey new motor but the louder growl just gets on my nerves after a while. I really loved the "stealth mode" of my 07 R12RT--quiet, like an F-16 at mach 2 until it passes you.

I know lotsa folks here love the new sound. Good for them. I'm glad they're happy.

So does anybody else feel the same way about their 2010 or newer GS? Does anyone know what would be involved to tone the sound down a few Db ? Do the new RT's sound the same? Not that I want an RT, just curious. (yes, I wear earplugs)
Quote:
Thank you for your opinion but as stated in the first post this thread is for those who DON'T like it. Please start your own thread entitled "I just LOVE my new boxer's sound!" and refrain from cluttering up this one.
wow. i didn't read the part about it being only for those who don't like it. the thread's title is "My 2010 GS is too loud." you go on to ask if it's only yourself that feels that way, and then ask if anybody else feels the same way. what's more interesting is the fact that others have mentioned that they prefered the louder sound, and there are other replies having less to do with the topic at hand, but i didn't notice you responding in the same manner to them. maybe you were responding to the gent's post prior to mine? regardless, sorry for "cluttering" your thread with my earlier reply and this one.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #83
StarFleet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Loved the sound for the first month but the novelty has worn off and whenever a non DOHC drives by I yearn for their sound.
StarFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #84
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFleet View Post
Loved the sound for the first month but the novelty has worn off and whenever a non DOHC drives by I yearn for their sound.
Thanks for checking in, starfleet. Pretty much my exact experience. Currently I'm running exhaust extensions that tone it down a bit but hoping a better alternative will surface.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #85
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
wow. i didn't read the part about it being only for those who don't like it. the thread's title is "My 2010 GS is too loud." you go on to ask if it's only yourself that feels that way, and then ask if anybody else feels the same way. what's more interesting is the fact that others have mentioned that they prefered the louder sound, and there are other replies having less to do with the topic at hand, but i didn't notice you responding in the same manner to them. maybe you were responding to the gent's post prior to mine? regardless, sorry for "cluttering" your thread with my earlier reply and this one.
Since my original posting wasn't clear enough for you, I fixed it. Re-read it now.

(edit--and nothing personal oa, just starting to get too many non-relevant posts)

bobbybob screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 04:09 PM
Old 07-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #86
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Since my original posting wasn't clear enough for you, I fixed it. Re-read it now.

(edit--and nothing personal oa, just starting to get too many non-relevant posts)
it's all very clear now.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #87
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I love the new sound! Decible wise, from 100 feet there is probably very little difference. I don't think I am pissing any one off, and with my ear protection, I only hear it on occasion.

2010 BMW R1200GS
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #88
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
I love the new sound! Decible wise, from 100 feet there is probably very little difference. I don't think I am pissing any one off, and with my ear protection, I only hear it on occasion.
OK. I give up.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #89
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,521
Quote:
OK. I give up.
Good call.

I like the new sound.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #90
bobbybob OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Good call.

I like the new sound.
I haven't given up on my quest for quieter pipes, only on expecting people to read the *complete* original post and respecting the request to make it relevant. Apparently a lot of folks just don't give a shit. This isn't a poll on who does or doesn't like the sound. And if you read thru the posts, I am not alone.