Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucka View Post
Check the laws in your state. I think in Ohio the minimum motor size is 250cc for the freeway.

Just a thought.

Russ
The legal 250cc limit seems to be a myth floating around several different states. In reality, many states have no explicit regulations in regard to engine size and the ones that do are mostly in the 125-150cc range. Some are specific about engine size in relation to freeways and some use engine size to classify as motorcycle and label the motorcycle as the minimum to be on the big roads. Minimum speed laws are abundant, but even a good 50cc can do the common 45mph minimum.

As for the actual scooter...My wife is barely 5'1" and many scooters don't fit her not because of seat height, but because of seat width. Things like a Silverwing and Reflex have low seat heights, but wide seat and body widths. There's no replacement for your wife sitting on a bunch of scooters.

The best advice so far is to get her a short, thin and light 150cc or less to ride for awhile and then see if she wants to move up. My wife rides a Scarabeo 500ie. But that's only because she had years of experience on ultra low seated Honda Rebel and because we have the Scarabeo's seat shaved down to the minimum. She will tell you outright that the Scarabeo wasn't the vehicle she would have started with even if she can ride it now.

approachbears screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 08:03 AM
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #17
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,667
Grabbed the following Chart for Seat Heights off the web:

The sub-28" high seats are for those short of stature. 29.5" is noticeably higher, believe me. I've ridden Majesty 400 & Burg 650 but the difference between these two is that the Yamaha's lack an indentation behind the rider's footboards.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I know it's a little far for you but Wasko's in Pa has some great deals right now on last years SYM scooters. I just bought their last Symba but they have a SYMply 50 for $1,195, a Fiddle II 125 for $1,695, a bunch of HD 200's for $2,895.

http://www.waskosauto.com/waskos-scooters/scooters.html

I brought mine all the way home to Maine in the back of our Honda Odyssey. It would have been a long trip to pick up a scoot but we were on our way back from DC so it was just a small detour.
MaineScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Consider the weight of a freeway scooter

Howdy,

Respectfully I say that a beginner (and a petite woman beginner at that) should begin on a 125/150 scooter and worry about the Interstate later. Ride a 125 for 6 months or a year, then move up.

Consider that any freeway capable scoot will weigh in at 350 lbs. Learn how to ride on a 125/150cc scooter like Hodna's PCX or Sh150i. Yamaha makes the rugged little Zuma 125, which enjoys a good reputation, if not flashy styling. Gain confidence and experience on an easy handling 125, then move up to a 250 or larger for the super-slab. Good luck!

PS: 125/150 scoots weigh around 300 lbs; easier to control for beginners and ideal for 'round town.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
doogiepooch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
First off let me say you scooter folks are all right. The number of responses is astounding. I appreciate and read each one.

She's ridden seated behind me for years and she does pretty well by herself on the misc small dirtbikes I cycle through my ownership. I wasn't really to keen on her doing alot of interstate miles anyway. She wonders where we'll go if she can't ride on the interstate to which I try to tell her....all these hours I ride on the weekends....I'm never out on the interstate, I'm on a backroad somewhere. Honestly I don't even like interstate on my bike, the draft off a semi makes me look like I have some serious twitching issue. As far as getting her or women in general to ride, I can sort of see that but my wife is different. She doesn't really have any hobbies of her own. She doesn't shop excessivley or talk on the phone for hours. She just seems to enjoy whatever we may be doing at the time. So I've naturally tried to pull her into whatever it is that I do, golf I've pulled her into. Riding bikes, she loves to ride with me and I'm 99.9% certain she'll love riding her own ride even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears View Post
The best advice so far is to get her a short, thin and light 150cc or less to ride for awhile and then see if she wants to move up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Yamaha makes the rugged little Zuma 125, which enjoys a good reputation, if not flashy styling. Gain confidence and experience on an easy handling 125, then move up to a 250 or larger for the super-slab. Good luck!

This might indeed be the best route. I may go back to my original thoughts on the Zuma 125 that this is indeed the best way to go. The video that guy posted a couple weeks ago, I think his name was ADVScoot, where he beat the crap out of that thing out in the desert. Heck that made me even want a Zuma 125.

doogiepooch screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 11:14 AM
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Let's face it, unless you are ready to step up to the 300cc range you are going to be running pretty much wide open on the freeway. Hit a long grade and you my drop back in the 50-55mph range. I ride my 250 on the freeway from exit to exit but I consider it an any road but the freeway vehicle.
But I look at it like this, what fun is the freeway. I avoid it like a plague on my motorcycle also.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
This might indeed be the best route. I may go back to my original thoughts on the Zuma 125 that this is indeed the best way to go. The video that guy posted a couple weeks ago, I think his name was ADVScoot, where he beat the crap out of that thing out in the desert. Heck that made me even want a Zuma 125.
The Zuma 125 is an excellent choice. She and you will love it. Spend a day out riding the back roads, stopping for B'fast or Lunch, checking out the dirt side roads, looking at the farm animals - she'll love it!

Sounds like you've got a great wife and you aren't one of those "I ride to get away from her" macho guys. My guess is, before too long, she is gonna have a scoot and you are gonna have one of your own too! lol
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,410
I just bought a Kymco People 150. Its one of the smaller 150s out there. I bought it for around town and 55 MPH roads. It rides really smooth, has good power and will run 60 to 65 if needed for short bursts, but 50 to 55 works best.

The build quality is right there with Honda and there are some good prices on them..Also has a two year warranty.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,742
The local dealer here in Huntsville was selling People 150s for $2350 OTD. And Kymco's come with a 2 year warrantee. Not sure how long those prices will last with spring coming and gas prices rising.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #25
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
I would suggest you look at the Grand Vista by Kymco. I know a gal that is about the same height and she has no problem riding the GV. I think the Downtown is similar but it is a 300. I just looked and both have a seat height of about 30.5" but I think they are lower when you are on the bike. The weights are almost the same at 359(gv) vs 367(d300) pounds.

You can find a good GV on the used market. Downtowns are new so they are harder to find and you are likely to only find new ones.

I personally would stay away from any clones or chinascoots. I know some are good but many others are money pits.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
A Helix or Morphous will work nicely for her; a Genuine Buddy will also work well.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,742
Just remember to keep enough money in the budget for a second scooter, the one you'll want to get for you after you ride your wife's a few times

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #28
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Just remember to keep enough money in the budget for a second scooter, the one you'll want to get for you after you ride your wife's a few times
Nonsense!!! Real Men don't ride scooters.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #29
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
i think everyones right. You gave us some nice further detail, so we can now help you find the ideal scooter, of corse with her making the finial choice of what fits her the best.

I am thinking a 125-150 cc will be great for right now. Why get a 250 for much more when the 150 will get her ready and you'll have the money to get a 300-400 which will be a real freeway scoot unlike a 250?

I would suggest a good 125 cc or 150 cc scooter. An older Honda Elite 150, Riva 125, Kymco People 150, Super 8, Agility 125, Hd 125, etc will all do just great.

Some have more power than others, but most 125 cc scooter will top 55+ MPH, and most 150 cc scooters 60+ MPH. Water cooled scooters seem to offer a little more performance than the air cooled models, with my Elite 150 hitting 70 MPH on GPS along with Aprilia's Scarabeo 150 topping 75 MPH.

There is some great advice. STAY AWAY from no name chinese scoots if you don't already know.

I think the Helix is alright, but its slow and long. The Morphous is really too long if you ask me, although the seat height is only like 26 inches or something like that. Its extremely heavy at over 450 pounds [YES, not to far below a Sportster!] with a 250 cc motor its slow off the line and takes its damn sweet time up steep hills. It will however hit 80+ MPH if your a very patient rider.

THe Reflex is fast for a 250 scoot. It WILL actually do 80-85 MPH flat out, and is happy cruising along at 65 MPH, making it an okay interstate scoot.

But I think you'll be impressed with the performance of even a 150, especially the water cooled models. They accelerate real well until about 50-55 MPH, where they hit their dead spot in acceleration, with 250s doing this at 60-65 MPH. They will beat slow cars off the line, fly past heavy traffic, pass slow cars with ease, and are hard to beat getting 85+ MPG.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,675
One thing is seat hight is taken care of on any bike by shaving the seat foam. A helix , elite 150 or 250. Riva 180 or 200. Helix is my choose but everyone knows I m nuts about them anyway. Woops a female corrected me and Say nope he s just nuts.