Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,606
talk me out of a trials bike for a trail bike

why would i not want a trials bike?
big day rides (50+ miles) of gnarly trails, nothing super fast (>25mph except for maybe a couple transfer roads)

used to have a crf230 as a first dirt bike, then progressed to a ktm 200xc-w. i'm fairly short, and the ktm was pretty tall for me. i have a 450exc as my dualsport, which is just too big for the kind of trails that i'm thinking of.

was shopping for a crf150f, and starting revisiting the idea of using a trials bike instead. good or bad idea, and why?

tia
Old 09-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,418
"...50+ miles..." You'll have to carry fuel or get a new Beta with the long range kit.

I wouldn't talk you out of it. It's the direction I would take. Just keep in mind you can't hit stuff as fast or as hard as you can with the KTM's. As least, not for long.

http://3dtrials.org/
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
50 + would be the problem. You would have to carry fuel and the modern bikes are not Comfortable. The again the new Montesa from your local Honda dealer comes with a trail seat which you could store xtra fuel. There is no gnarly trails on a trials bike. We use those easy trails to get to the `Hard` stuff.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

not worried about fuel range, a numberplate tank and a couple fuel bottles in a backpack would do the trick.

more like hurting the motor from running down a trail, i know they're not really tuned for that. i'm sure the jetting has to be different from trails to trials. or does it?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

A Montesa is a fuel injected Honda. Perfect for your needs.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
clapped_r6 OP
The Spoad Warrior

er, forgot to mention i'm a cheap ass looking at sub 2k bikes exclusively.

the crf is probably better at what i'm trying to do, but building a couple backyard obstacles would be fun too
Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,456
Ride one before you decide. Some people really love them and others seem to hate the riding position and etc. Also keep in mind Trials bikes (engines) are not made for sustained riding especially with the premix ratio they use.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
er, forgot to mention i'm a cheap ass looking at sub 2k bikes exclusively.

the crf is probably better at what i'm trying to do, but building a couple backyard obstacles would be fun too
An old TL250 with a desert tank would eat up those trails all day and with a top speed just over 70mph with stock gearing. Throw a disk brake up front and most people could not keep up when the going gets rough.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #9
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Watch "World's most highly engineered trail trials motor…" on YouTube
World's most highly engineered trail trials motor…: http://youtu.be/ldvBwVSe1pk

Found this it is and can be done im assuming the nos tank on feo t is extra fuel tank!
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
hadfield4wd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Think about the hybrid bikes by Ktm and ossa
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #11
Boom Boom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Sherco X-ride covers everything you want except for a 2k purchase price.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,509
How about an 1986-87 Honda Reflex?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
lardshop
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Do it

Someone rode the MCC Edinburgh Trial (200 miles & overnight) on a Beta Rev3, standard apart from the lights.

A bit of trail riding is doable, trials motors are tough enough for the road.
lardshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
For gnarly stuff you can’t beat a trials bike. One of the things that makes them so good is the light weight and low center of gravity.A big contributor to that is the small fuel tank that limits fuel range.
Probably one of the most fun trials bike I have ridden for trails was a ’94 GasGas Jt25.The tank was almost a gallon.I rode a 12 mile hare scramble type event on the expert line (a bit gnarly) that was mostly single track with a little bit of gravel road and the fuel was low but I had not hit the reserve yet. Acerbis makes fork mounted tanks in approximately, 1, 3, and 4 liter capacity.I had a 3 liter that mounted and really didn’t notice it in the handing.I did not have it plumbed to the main tank so that did not enter into the consumption above.
The gearing on that age range of gassers was perfect for trail riding (6 speeds).A lot of the newer bikes have 3 gears very low then a big step to 4th.I find that on my Montesa 4RT (5 speeds) I am often screaming in 3rd or lugging in 4th when the trails open up a little.
The ’94 to ’01 Gassers are essentially the same bike with development over time.From ’03 the new “Pro” model was available – complete redesign.
You should be able to find a decent one within your price range.Depending on your weight, you could stiffen it up with heavier fork oil and crank up the rear spring and clickers.

Bronco638 mentioned the Honda TLR200.I also have one of those that is street legal with lights, etc. It has a huge fuel tank and easily has a 60+ mile range.I have heard of people getting 100 miles but that was mostly on pavement.The big fuel load does make the bike a bit top heavy.4 stroke does mean no mixing of gas/oil which is nice.Lower the gearing, rejet the carb and it is a fun bike.If looking to buy, take the fuel tank off and look closely where the front and rear portions of the frame are welded together.That is a weak spot and the frames sometimes break there.If you are thinking seriously about a TLR200 read Brutus’s thread “Having fun with O.J.”Lots of good info there.
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,108
I had a Montesa 4RT for two seasons of trail riding. I sold it last year thinking that alightweight enduro with a seat was more reasonable for the riding I wanted to do. I wound up with a Husky WR, bored to a 165. Given the thirst of a peaky 2T, even that bike is problematic range-wise at 60 miles without outboard fuel or a larger than stock tank.

60 miles is about five hours of actual riding for me in the Northwest mountains. That is a long time on trials pegs. I had oversize pegs on mine which helped a bit, but make the relatively low trials bike peg height more of a problem in trenched out switchbacks and such. Being able to sit down and paddle on occasion will also be missed when transitioning from a 200 KTM or CRF230.

Fuel range will not be an issue with the RT or an old TL, TY, or TLR twin shock. I can't speak to the two stroke stuff.

Just now there are a couple of nice twin shock Yamahas for under a grand over on the east side. PM me if you want some more info or links. Those would be just as good as a CRF in my opinion, and would probably hold their value better. They have a seat for paddling use and resting on occasion. Only the suspension will be problematic, at least compared to the KTM you had. Pretty much that is true for any trials bike in the sub $3k range, in my opinion. No bashing obstacles at any kind of speed.

I'm re-thinking my position on this subject too. Mainly because the light weight becomes a real godsend for an old fart in the super nasty stuff. It's the difference between a day hike with five pounds on your back, and backpacking with 30 pounds. That difference seems to get almost exponentially more important as the ride gets longer.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote