User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
broncobowsher OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Sherco electrical load

In an attempt to extend my riding a little bit I want some real light in my '12 Sherco 2.9
That stock headlight is the most pathetic thing ever. I already have that removed and a number plate in its place. I was thinking of getting another number plate and putting a nice modern light on it. Be able to switch back and forth depending on if it is night or not. Which gets me to spending a day trying to figure how much load I can place on the stator. The stock LED light can't have any significant load to it. So I worry a little stepping up to an ~11watt LED I would like to use.

The trick up my sleeve, the Sherco Xride. I see in the pictures it has an incandescent headlight. It is suppose to be the same 272cc engine. Whatever that incandescent bulb is I am sure it is more then the 11W LED I would like to use. So I spent the day trying to figure if the electrical systems really are the same? Needless to say, looking for info online just doesn't provide any good results. I can't find any specs. I even tried to look at parts diagrams and compare numbers to see if they are the same. I can't find enough numbers.

So before I go buy a light that isn't exactly cheap, I figured I would ask if anyone knows any info that I have not found. At this point I plan to go ahead and get the light after I figure how broke I will be after Christmas, unless someone can point to some reason it won't work.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Have you looked here?

http://www.nofives.com/Sherco_2014_M...rts_s/3119.htm
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
15 watt Draw

Have been thinking about much the same thing, and was considering this one.

The Penetrator 310, and delivering 1500 Lumens at 15w dra sounds like it might work for trials bikes...

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...kit-_p_15.html
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
broncobowsher OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
I had not seen that one, forgot about it. But I did look now.
Still can't cross reference anything over to the Xride.

I was looking at the Rigid Industries SR-M series. There is a 2 LED version (#90211) at 9W and 800 Lumen, but the 3 LED version (#91211) is 11W and over 1100 Lumen with what looks like a better beam pattern as well.
I could always run a battery pack. But I still have the remnants of the original wiring and a plug and play would be easier, cheaper and lighter then adding battery.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I got an LED light from ebay that works great. It is 12 volt, 15 watt and cost about US $20. It is very bright. 1200 lumens. Mine is a spot pattern. It might be better to get a little wider beam but since I use it mostly on the trails, not on sections, it works fine. I set mine up to install and remove with one screw and an electrical plug.

Search for "motorcycle cree led headlight" in ebay motors category and you will see many sizes, shapes, wattages.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-15W-LED-CREE-Day-Light-Headlight-Motorcycle-Van-Truck-E-bike-1-/151161716964?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2331f0c0e4&vxp=mtr
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
broncobowsher OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am not worried about what light to get. Already have that picked out.

It is the electrical load on the Sherco I worry about. The light I want to upgrade to is low power, 11W. But that is probably 10x what the stock lighting system draws. Before I burn up any of the expensive and hard to get electrical parts on the Sherco, I am trying to research if it can take it. The thought that it can is from the Xride that does have an electrical load greater then what I want to run. Therefor if I can tell if they do share the same electrical system I will be comfortable putting on some LED lighting.

Come to think of it, anyone have any idea what the wattage of the cooling fan is? I may have to factor that in if I ever find a published stator wattage rating.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 573
While you're at it, how about a seat heater?

Man, I'm glad to not be at Prescott for a trials at the moment!
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Bronco - The homologation kits for road use (in Europe) typically use a 25W bulb in the headlight and a 13 watt bulb in the tail light. They use the same Stators and wiring as the US bikes. You can find these kits and bulbs listed in the manual. As long as you stay under 25W - you should be fine.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
I'm also pretty sure the 11W will be fine. Also it won't do any damage, worst case it just won't be bright. Bikes are setup so the stator puts out as much juice as it can all the time and the voltage regulator shunts the surplus to ground. So loading it up with more current drawing stuff doesn't change the stress on the stator and reduces the stress on the voltage reg (b/c it's got less to shunt so gets less hot).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
21Watts and lots of light.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...umber=487001WT

You might also be able to get the stator rewound for more output, but without seeing one I can't tell for sure.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
broncobowsher OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Bronco - The homologation kits for road use (in Europe) typically use a 25W bulb in the headlight and a 13 watt bulb in the tail light. They use the same Stators and wiring as the US bikes. You can find these kits and bulbs listed in the manual. As long as you stay under 25W - you should be fine.
That makes me feel better. So far I have yet to find anything that is a show stopper. I'll probably order up a light shortly after Christmas, after I figure how much cash I am lacking.

I'll skip the Baja designs light, they put a little too much emphasis on long distance lighting. I had a good talk with Rigid, they are local (I have driven past there place and know people who have been there), I plan to go with them. They accept a stupid wide range of voltage (9-30V I think). And I have seen there beam pattern in person at SEMA.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I'll skip the Baja designs light, they put a little too much emphasis on long distance lighting.
You can get any pattern from flood to spot in those, Light will be far superior to any other on the market with the same wattage. Plus it comes ready to strap on to the forks.
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote