User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Diamondman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thinking about trials

Any advice for a total noob to trials bikes? I do prefer a 4stroke, I don't like mixing gas. I live in north east tn, so the mountains would make a great place to learn. I have 6 acres to build whatever I want and a 15 mile trail 20 minutes from my house.
I've been a road rider for 20 years and dirt for the last 3 years, but trials bike fascinate me. Trials training center in Chattanooga is only 3 hours away, so maybe a trip there one weekend is in store.
Thanks!!
Diamondman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 656
My advice? DO IT!!!! you Will have a great time, look for a bike that is 2004 or newer and you will have plenty of room to grow with it, (the bike won't be the limiting factor, believe you me ),. Check out B1's learn to ride trials series, and have fun. Get hold of the folks in the local trials club and you will find a resource for bikes, and nice people who want to share the sport.
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 867
Trials will kick your butt around on the road to much satisfaction. It will make a person more calm and sane. The sport certainly will make you a better rider of any type motorcycle. And, oddly enough, after an initial kicking around, it will reduce your body pains (no kidding).

One of the toughest parts to get around when approaching trials is riders from faster venues often bring in all sorts of assumptions and prejudices. It's hard to 'get' certain concepts without directly experiencing them, and that takes time. All sorts of things like 4 strokes versus two, and how big a motor to get. It's just more different than you can imagine, so I suggest hooking up with some experienced sources to try bikes.

I suggest starting on a smaller engine like a 125 or a 200 if you can find one, and as modern as possible, like post 2005. If you want to go older and super cheap that is fine. Any trials bike is better than none. But down the road once you get hooked solidly, you may have wished you had bought up to begin with.

A 125 can do very well many levels above your current skill level. That may sound surprising, but here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by-wbg4giug

There is a new-used 2014 GasGas in Austin that I set up from new, so I know the bike well.

If you want a 4 stroke you will like them too, and the used market is mostly in the the HRC/Montesa 4RT. There is a very nice 2005 4RT available that I aslo set up, PM KrAzyOSUcOwBoY on this forum. Here is a vid of a 4RT that extols its virtues, but know there has been relative little change since 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFWO3zHBaU

There's definitely trials activity in TN. You mentioned the TTC:

https://www.youtube.com/user/trialstrainingcenter

No better way to check out trials than to go there and rent a bike and get some experienced instruction!

motobene screwed with this post 09-04-2014 at 07:58 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,366
+1 on advice to go visit TTC.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
mrwmw
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Not to hijack, but I too have been considering buying a trials bike. Never rode one but I did quite a bit of BMX and mountain biking...mainly dirt jumps and street riding so I know how to pedal kick, tire tap, spin, ect. I would think similar concepts apply just with a 150 lb bike and a throttle.
mrwmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Zuendapp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Not all 4 strokes are equal. The 2 choices that you will be Happy with is a Montesa 4 RT ( fuel injected and easy to start ) and the Beta 250 / 300 4 stroke. The Newer Beta is most likely a better choice than a older Montesa 4 RT

I recently road with a person that had a Sherco 4 stroke. Hard starting when cold and harder starting when warm. Doesn't seem to good choice.

Just my thoughts
Terry
Zuendapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
fun

Do it, trials bikes are fun. It will change how you look at obstacles.

How ever chasing fast guys on moto bikes not so much[fun].
Old 09-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Nodabs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
http://stratrials.com/
Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #9
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
The 2 things I wish I did sooner...
- start on a smaller displacement like a 200. Going from a 280 which I had for a couple yrs to a 250 now even helped me. In the case of a 4 stroke, I'm pretty sure the extra weight and power will just slow your learning progress, and mixing a little 80-1 can of gas surely is as inconvenient as a 4 stroke oil and filter change.
- take the Ryan Young class. Do it as soon as you acquaint yourself with the bike and your brain is trained to be using the clutch ALL the time.
(1 finger covering and constantly using the brake and clutch). I waited several yrs and discovered a few bad habits to get out of, and important techniques needed to advance.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
Diamondman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks

I'm reading all I can on this. I think I can see a new to me bike in the garage right after the new year, I know it's a long ways off, but I have a strange job that keeps me gone for 2-3 months at a time. THANK YOU for all the replies.
Diamondman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,464
Stop Thinking. It can only muck up the works.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
monjorrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I'm gonna keep an eye on this. I think trails may be something I'm interested in playing around with but need to do more research and drop a few more hobbies. And I'm also in East tn(Greeneville area)
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,377
I'll put in a plug for another four stroke, the Scorpa TYS 125/175/200. Not real common but they're around. Google 'em.

Mine's a 125:
Old 09-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
You could also have everything you need in a power plant without any fuel and be able to ride anywhere silently. Capable of doing a whole trials event on a single charge. Stealth riding without any range issues. What could be better.

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/wp-c...AZINE-UK-1.pdf
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,464
I'd been thinking about Trials ever since the early seventies when it was supposed to be The Next Big Thing. I was riding down short, steep hills on my Schwinn Stingray with my weight as far back as I could get it, and totally frustrated with how the chainring would dig in to logs when I tried to cross them.

Here it is 40 years later and I finally got a trials bike...what the hell did I wait so long for??

You guys on the fence...get off it and on a Trials Bike!
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote