User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #241
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
Thanks for the update Tony.

How exactly did Aran score a -1? Is he just that good?
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #242
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,508
Some sections had white splits that if a pro rider attempted that part of the section and cleaned it, then they would receive a deduction in points. Aron Cook did not take any dabs and I guess he only elected to ride one white split. He is an animal for sure.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #243
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 871
Well now I've gone and done it.

I contacted Matt at MWT a few weeks ago and we were trying to find something in my budget I could build out of some old MTB parts I had. After a couple of days of chatting back and forth he dug up a couple year old, unused Becasue Simple 26". Perhaps it is not competition grade, but with the addition of a set of HS33's I had sitting around, it should be good enough for me.

It arrived today and I spent a couple of hours this evening pedaling it around my back yard. I must say that it has been a very long time since I tried something new with zero idea what the heck I'm doing. I have lots of MTB miles but this is something totally different. I'm looking forward to trying to learn something new and hope I can progress well enough to stay interested. It is a good cross-train for me for some of the racing I'm doing this year and I could use all of the balance practice I can get.

The basic question is, what should I be practicing? On some of the bike-trials discussion forums all of the 'beginner' stuff is way beyond what I can even dream of at this point. I tried to stop and track-stand, but my instinct wants me to just roll around. I'm not used to being in one spot. So what should I be practicing that will help me build up to real trials stuff? Is there a good source on the web that starts from a total zero for trials?

-totalzerobiketrials
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #244
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
I contacted Matt at MWT a few weeks ago and we were trying to find something in my budget I could build out of some old MTB parts I had. After a couple of days of chatting back and forth he dug up a couple year old, unused Becasue Simple 26". Perhaps it is not competition grade, but with the addition of a set of HS33's I had sitting around, it should be good enough for me.

It arrived today and I spent a couple of hours this evening pedaling it around my back yard. I must say that it has been a very long time since I tried something new with zero idea what the heck I'm doing. I have lots of MTB miles but this is something totally different. I'm looking forward to trying to learn something new and hope I can progress well enough to stay interested. It is a good cross-train for me for some of the racing I'm doing this year and I could use all of the balance practice I can get.

The basic question is, what should I be practicing? On some of the bike-trials discussion forums all of the 'beginner' stuff is way beyond what I can even dream of at this point. I tried to stop and track-stand, but my instinct wants me to just roll around. I'm not used to being in one spot. So what should I be practicing that will help me build up to real trials stuff? Is there a good source on the web that starts from a total zero for trials?

-totalzerobiketrials
+1 to this post. I've been riding the trials bicycle quite a bit, but don't really feel I'm improving much and am not really sure what to practice. Definately not in my comfort zone compared to the moto!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #245
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,327
...I need ideas for the almost 7 year old too...

Very good question.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #246
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
I'm stuck on pretty simple stuff but watching some instructional videos is usually recommended.

Mastering the Art of Trials by Ryan Leech is a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt2JEnWT2Hc
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #247
Garthe

Echo Kids Mod

Well, it's finally on it's way...

Matt sent me photos today. It really hard to realize the scale of the bike in the pictures. It's a 'Kids mod frame' which is smaller than the standard model. The stem needs to get dailed in. It's the smallest one Echo had to offer. I'm might have to use a mountain bike or BMX one, we'll see.

Here are a few pictures...

His birthday is next weekend...lucky kid.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #248
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Nice rims, how much (or little) do those weigh?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #249
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Pimpin' Echo Garthe, what an awesome present for your kid. Now you have to find one for yourself, seriously. If I may offer my nonprofessional opinion here, cut the steerer tube a bit, move the spacers under the stem. That is a potential impaler area there with the spacers stacked up like that on top. You can use a pipe cutter, a hack saw in a guide or get it cut at a bike shop. You don't want to risk a groin injury, which is a whole "nother" story of mine.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #250
Garthe

^^^^ The plan was to leave it that way and I am going to fine tune it.

But, I have questions...He's seven...isn't it a bad thing to cut it. I mean, he will grow...and don't I want some flexability in the 'rise' of the stem OR is that what I use the stem for...? If I cut it, aren't I painting myself into a corner down the road? You sure can't put it back, once it's gone.

Also, can you mount a stem backwards? He's about 4'4" and even though this is a 'Kids' frame. I'm sure it's going to be to big for him for right now.

When we get it, I will take some pictures of him on it...I'll post them up here. Then we'll be able to see what I have to do with the stem to have it fit him correctly. This is all new stuff for me. I have a very good understanding of the attack position on a dirt bike, but unsure in this Trails bike thing. Now's not the time to form bad body position habits.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #251
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Nice rims, how much (or little) do those weigh?
All I can tell you is they're called SL=super light...I have no idea what they weigh?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #252
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

My opinion would be to cut it maybe half. Then put the spacers under the stem. Your right, you can't go back to a longer stem however you don't want to risk a groin injury. You can add longer stems as he gets taller, stems are like $50 bucks compared to a fork set that can be $150. Otherwise I would zip tie a pipe insulation wrap or something to add some protection, going over the bars is a common thing, did it last night at UNM. Also I recommend setting the bike up moto style, no reason to have him learning two different brake set ups. Better for him to get used to riding a bit out of his comfort zone and then growing into it. Grayso Hertritch as well as Micah Hertritcg started off at 7 to 9 with a mod bike and they have to reach for the bars, doesn't bother them a bit. They don't know what is best for them, they just want to ride.

As for practice, track stands are the first thing to try. Then work on pivots or moving the front wheel left and right, rocking and then moving the rear wheel. A few pallets or steps, anything that requires you to pedal up and off an object. Really you just got to ride and ride. It is so hard at first but every hour on the bike creates improvement. The Ryan Leech video is awesome. Join www.observedtrials.net, there is a beginners section that you can spend weeks reviewing.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #253
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Also I recommend setting the bike up moto style, no reason to have him learning two different brake set ups.
Thank you for the info Tony...

Question, what do you mean by 'two different brake set ups'...?

Also, 'moto style'...you mean typical dirt bike standing position, right...?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #254
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 871
I know nothing about trials, but I do know that moto style means right brake = front brake unlike normal bike setup where right brake = rear...
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #255
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,805
^^^^^^^^

What he said Jim.

I went with moto style on mine because I was hoping some of this bicycle stuff would transfer to the moto at some point and I didn't want to get confused with the brakes. Ironically, I rode my mountain bike today which has standard bicycle set up on the brakes and had all kinds of problems with the brakes because I'd gotten used to the moto set up on the trials bicycle!