Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #271
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Well my big 50 birthday party was a huge party. Many friends showed up, we rode trial bikes and had a party. Curtis, Rob and I all shared our birthday riding weekend. Many pics to upload later. Thank you thank you for those that showed up. My Big 50 was pertfect.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #272
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345
I'm one behind ya Tony...Happy Birthday .
Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #273
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
There were 11 riders at my house last night shredding the pallets. We celebrated birthdays for Curtis, me and Dad Hertritch. BBQ ribs, Jitteritas and shenanigans. A very large time was had.

I had a few personal bests last night! I side hopped up 3 pallets and actually gapped about a bike length distance.

I meant to get a picture of the three Echo's - Curtis, Ron and Rusty. All from the same guy, they are so nice. Ron didn't like his pink rims, but I think they are bad ass. He is a BMX & dirt biker, he is just killing it on a trials bike, serious mad skills. It was his first ride on the Echo.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #274
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Well my big 50 birthday party was a huge party. Many friends showed up, we rode trial bikes and had a party. Curtis, Rob and I all shared our birthday riding weekend. Many pics to upload later. Thank you thank you for those that showed up. My Big 50 was pertfect.
Darn kids...
Happy birthday, Tony!
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #275
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,977
Quote:
There were 11 riders at my house last night shredding the pallets. We celebrated birthdays for Curtis, me and Dad Hertritch. BBQ ribs, Jitteritas and shenanigans. A very large time was had.

I had a few personal bests last night! I side hopped up 3 pallets and actually gapped about a bike length distance.

I meant to get a picture of the three Echo's - Curtis, Ron and Rusty. All from the same guy, they are so nice. Ron didn't like his pink rims, but I think they are bad ass. He is a BMX & dirt biker, he is just killing it on a trials bike, serious mad skills. It was his first ride on the Echo.
Thanks a bunch for putting this on Tony!! Had a blast and hopefully learned some new stuff to try on the bicycle. Good times!

Tony's got quite the backyard setup for the bicycles

Tony shredding the pallets

Nathan Hassler

T-Dog

Thanks again Tony for a great evening and Happy Birthday!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #276
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,345

Mission Complete.

I just slapped this layout togeather today. It all will be changed, I did it just to help me visualize...what could be...

I'm on the hunt for pallets now...I want to put one layer across this whole side of the yard...then build it up.

My wife gave it the to move forward .

Garthe screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 11:27 PM
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #277
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,977
Sweet Jim!! The addiction has begun!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #278
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
The ATeam BBQ was a blast!

Here are a few more shots:

It's my birthday. I can do what I want!

Nathan

He does this on motos too (and makes it look easy)!

When the kid on the wooden bike was doing gaps, I left my bike in the truck!

One more of Trev. He is really smooooth on the bike.

There may have been some drinking involved.

Thanks Tony! Good fun!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #279
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,025
Looks like you guys had a great time.

Jim, Aidan's bike looks sweet.
Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #280
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
I WANT ONE!

Now it's time to get the little lady on board. Shouldn't be so hard should it?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #281
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post
I WANT ONE!

Now it's time to get the little lady on board. Shouldn't be so hard should it?
Don's gonna be pissed if you get one Miguel. He said he's been trying to resist getting one.

It's definitely your turn for a new toy since Wendy got her 250.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42694

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #282
DirtySantana
Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
Don's gonna be pissed if you get one Miguel. He said he's been trying to resist getting one.

It's definitely your turn for a new toy since Wendy got her 250.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42694

I like your thinking about my turn for a new toy, but I have so many.

I'm really happy that she is happy with her new 250, she's looking for someone to go play hookie with now.

Can I try one of your bikes out when we see each other again?

DirtySantana screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 04:14 PM
DirtySantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #283
Charla OP
Tamalamian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post
I like your thinking about my turn for a new toy, but I have so many.

I'm really happy that she is happy with her new 250, she's looking for someone to go play hookie with now.

Can I try one of your bikes out when we see each other again?
Absolutely, we should plan a BBQ or something.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #284
ArcticEd
Whatya mean,"noob" ?

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
As for practice, track stands are the first thing to try. Then work on pivots or moving the front wheel left and right, rocking and then moving the rear wheel. A few pallets or steps, anything that requires you to pedal up and off an object. Really you just got to ride and ride. It is so hard at first but every hour on the bike creates improvement. The Ryan Leech video is awesome. Join www.observedtrials.net, there is a beginners section that you can spend weeks reviewing.
Trackstands are great to learn balance... But don't worry about hopping and nose pivots for a while. I would encourage new riders to learn no to slow speed bike control and pedaling (rolling) through a section for a quite while. As a beginner, there's no need to hop or try to backwheel through obstacles.. New riders often put the cart before the horse learning tricks before they master basic biketrial skills, and then get lost and stalled when they try to move up. You can't build the house before you finish the foundation.
If competition is in your son's future, I'd suggest going to a lumberyard or hardware store and getting some red and blue surveyor's ribbon, and laying out sections the same way that he's likely to encounter at an actual trial. It doesn't need to have any serious "ups" or obstacles... Just tight turns and opportunities to use basic bike control skills (ie braking, pedaling through tight areas, picking lines, navagating through and / or around loose rocks) and getting used to reading the section prior to riding. Get him in the mud, and let him learn how to carry momentum and find traction. Small logs need to be taken without a second thought before he'll need to trouble himself with getting over a 3 footer.
Try to get him used to the idea that the ribbons are pretty fragile and if he breaks one, he's done... Also, it'll get him used to the idea of "right on red, blue on left" and it'll prevent him from getting "lost" in a section.
I used to marvel at kids who would freak out when riding between the ribbons and course markers and drop a 5 just because their head overheated while in a section. They rode more difficult obstacles on the loop between sections and didn't think a thing about it because they weren't "In the section" and there wasn't a checker there with his hand up...
In the beginning, there's no real need to spend big $$$ on a specialized trials bicycle... You can go a long way on a BMX bike with a small front chainring, some decent brakes and some fat tires. Same goes for 26"... loose the outside chainring, use the middle one for a rockring and ride on the inside gear.. And try to get a short cage derailleur, or you can eliminate it all together.. At first, there's little need for more than one gear, anyway.
If you want really good rim brakes, you can grind the brake tracks on the rims for some serious grab.. Kinda hard on pads, but a lot cheaper than getting a frame and fork that's disk compatable or messing around with hydros. A set of nice thick sidewall tires (2 " front and a 2.35 rear) and you should be good to go from beginner through intermediate with out spending much at all.
I've read alot of discussion in this thread about this bike and that, and I'm gonna say the obvious... You can't buy success in trials. Take what you've got, set it up right and practice, practice, practice.
When you get to the point that you think that the bike is what's holding holding you back, ride it another 3 months and then go shopping for a 17 pound wunderbike.
Have fun, and remember.... chicks dig scars.
ArcticEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #285
DirtySantana
Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
Absolutely, we should plan a BBQ or something.

When is your next compitition, maybe we can make a weekend of it or something?