ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #541
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motorcyclemark's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 142
Mine is being shipped out today, bought a used but never ridden 26" Echo. Hospital here I come (54 year old beginner) never to late to start.
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #542
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemark View Post
Mine is being shipped out today, bought a used but never ridden 26" Echo. Hospital here I come (54 year old beginner) never to late to start.
Yeah man, I just got a 24" Because Simple and it's a blast! I'm looking for some shin guards though cause I'm getting tired of the gouges in my 35 year old legs.

FWIW, if the bike you got has disc brakes make sure they are seated and worn in well before trying anything, I had an over the handle bars experience when the front slipped and the rear failed to stop me.

I'll tell you one thing that I am having a hard time getting used to though, is the seat height. It's all the way down but I'm used to mountain bikes so when I got on my trials bike to do a bunny hop I didn't realize how far down I could squat before jumping up, it made a BIG difference in my vertical after I figured out what I was doing wrong.
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #543
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 321





Working with bikes sure has it's benefits..
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #544
MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer
 
MartinPetren's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Gothenburg or Uppsala
Oddometer: 321
Sorry for the BIG images... And you're welcome for your new desktop wallpaper ;)
__________________
Martin Petrén
WallStreetBikes
MartinPetren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #545
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motorcyclemark's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Yeah man, I just got a 24" Because Simple and it's a blast! I'm looking for some shin guards though cause I'm getting tired of the gouges in my 35 year old legs.

FWIW, if the bike you got has disc brakes make sure they are seated and worn in well before trying anything, I had an over the handle bars experience when the front slipped and the rear failed to stop me.

I'll tell you one thing that I am having a hard time getting used to though, is the seat height. It's all the way down but I'm used to mountain bikes so when I got on my trials bike to do a bunny hop I didn't realize how far down I could squat before jumping up, it made a BIG difference in my vertical after I figured out what I was doing wrong.
Did one of those over the handlebar maneuvers at the Hard Rock trial last weekend. Bike ran wide open with me underneath it for a while. Got lucky as did no damage to both bike and me. The bike I bought is suppose to show up this Thursday, will definitely take your advise on seating in the brakes.
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #546
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,523
Your bike ran wide open with you underneath it?

Good thing one of the pedals didn't hit you in the back of your head.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #547
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,133
Last time I saw someone go over the bars and smack his face a dozen times , I was smoking`on a `84 yz 250 going about 70. The poor victom was on a brand new 490. (First ride on it and still limps today) I laughed so hard we almost got tangled up! Just hard to imagine wide open on a trialsin` bike!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #548
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motorcyclemark's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 142
Yea, those high revving push bikes can get away from you pretty quick The trial I was referring to was put on by the Sacramento Pitts at their property in Northern Ca. Had rolled over a three foot rock and was looking ahead to see where to start my turn. Front wheel hit something and yanked the bars out of my hands instantly. Sure glad the rear wheel did not find traction as I was trying to kill the motor.
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #549
Doctor Zed
Resident
 
Doctor Zed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Mills, Wi
Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zed View Post
Hey guys and gals
I was thinking about getting a trials bicycle and saw this on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Yaabaa-Trials-.../dp/B007Y5FZQ8

Is this a decent deal/brand?
couldn't find too much info on the net

Thanks
I finally got around to ordering this bike.
It will be here on Saturday
Let the cross training begin.
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #550
DerViking
Shred
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Black Bill Park
Oddometer: 296
Enjoy.
Brake rotors are very small. Generally you can swap the adapters. I recommend 8", Avid Mechanical's are affordable and easy to work on.

GET SHINGAURDS!!!!! Find some that cover from clear down by your ankle to over the knee. You will get wacked by the pedal. Always wear your helmet. I have had way more head dabs on the bicycle than I ever have on the moto, including a mild concussion 10' from my shop door.
__________________
ATGATT: When you fall off your motorcycle, you will be wearing what you were when you got on your motorcycle. Dress accordingly.
DerViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #551
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.
 
Choicecut's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Oddometer: 289
Just read through this whole thread and now I am intrigued. Wouldn't mind getting one of these just to play around on, but the cost of these bikes are ridiculous. I can't drop that kind of money on something without an engine. What could a guy pick up used in the sub 200 dollar range (the lower the better) that would work for a 6'2" 230 lbs ogre? Also, where is a good place to find used bikes? I looked at pinkbike and observedtrials classifieds, but all that's listed are high end bikes.
__________________
2000 Montesa Cota 315R;
1999 Buell X1 Lightning;
1995 BMWR1100GS;
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #552
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version
 
grizzzly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: socorro NM 505-five five zero-2583
Oddometer: 3,164
I started riding bicycle trials on an old diamondback MTB, broke stuff and upgraded.
Now I have a GSR Hooligan down hill frame set up as a trials bike (trials wheels, gearing and other stuff) I also have a older mongoose trick bike, I don’t ride it much.
I’m not serious but I have fun.
you can do and learn the basics on a MTB, BUT there is as much difference between a trials bicycle and a MTB, as there is in a trials motorcycle and a Dual Sport bike
Buy that Ryan Leach DVD and a cheep bike and see where it takes you.
__________________
you actually expect people to take responsibility for their actions in today's society?!

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #553
DerViking
Shred
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Black Bill Park
Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choicecut View Post
What could a guy pick up used in the sub 200 dollar range (the lower the better) that would work for a 6'2" 230 lbs ogre? Also, where is a good place to find used bikes? I looked at pinkbike and observedtrials classifieds, but all that's listed are high end bikes.
I don't think it's possible.

I weigh 190, and find that most setups feel really flexy and dangerous to me. I run a stout frame, rigid 20mm axle fork, and very stout wheels. A nice rear hub with tight engagement (ie Chris King) is also money very well spent. The quick engagement will speed up your learning.

While learning, especially as an ogre, you will destroy things and crash a lot, until you get smoother, and learn how to land and turn without breaking the bike.

When I was learning I rode whatever I could find. I think I killed 6 wheel sets, and 3 rigid forks in about a year.
__________________
ATGATT: When you fall off your motorcycle, you will be wearing what you were when you got on your motorcycle. Dress accordingly.
DerViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #554
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.
 
Choicecut's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
I don't think it's possible.

I weigh 190, and find that most setups feel really flexy and dangerous to me. I run a stout frame, rigid 20mm axle fork, and very stout wheels. A nice rear hub with tight engagement (ie Chris King) is also money very well spent. The quick engagement will speed up your learning.

While learning, especially as an ogre, you will destroy things and crash a lot, until you get smoother, and learn how to land and turn without breaking the bike.

When I was learning I rode whatever I could find. I think I killed 6 wheel sets, and 3 rigid forks in about a year.
Bummer. Would I be better off just buying a cheap mountain bike and dicking off on that for awhile?
__________________
2000 Montesa Cota 315R;
1999 Buell X1 Lightning;
1995 BMWR1100GS;
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #555
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer
 
trailer Rails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choicecut View Post
Just read through this whole thread and now I am intrigued. Wouldn't mind getting one of these just to play around on, but the cost of these bikes are ridiculous. I can't drop that kind of money on something without an engine. What could a guy pick up used in the sub 200 dollar range (the lower the better) that would work for a 6'2" 230 lbs ogre? Also, where is a good place to find used bikes? I looked at pinkbike and observedtrials classifieds, but all that's listed are high end bikes.
I would look for an used Specialized P1 dirtjump bike. Or some other brand. You might have to change the gearing to someone lower and add a front brake but it could be a good start.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014