User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #76
outlaws justice OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Hawaii

Have had some folks from another forum I am a member of ask about doing classes in Hawaii, so we are working on bringing programs to the islands. Any members in Hawaii? If this is something you are interested in let me know and what Island you are on.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #77
mokosai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Thumb

I took the class run by Dave and Jen from What Next Motorcycle Training. They're based out of Oklahoma but the class was in Topeka, KS on May 7th at the Heartland Park Track (paddock). I rode my ST1300 from Cedar Rapids, IA to Topeka for the weekend, so I had high expectations: the class had to be pretty great to be worth the 6 hours of super-slab.

It was, in short, awesome! I learned a lot about going around a corner smoothly and quickly and without drama. The class is a LOT of information in a hurry, so I strongly recommend reading Lee Parks' book before you take the class (which I did).

The best part of the class is that we had two instructors and four students. This meant a lot of practice and a lot of personalized attention and advice. It's great to do an exercise, get instant feedback from a pro, wait 30-40 seconds while someone else goes, then have another shot at it. I only wish that we had done each exercise a few more times before moving on to the next; we would move on once everyone was doing something correctly, but I wanted to do an exercise correctly more than once or twice. Sometimes you get it right by accident and haven't really learned.

Another awesome thing about this class was the track day the next day! It was at Heartland Park (~2.5miles, 14 turns, GPS says my average speed was in the high 40's and top speed in the low 100's). Turns out a 700lb bike on a track really likes to destroy tires!

It was my first track day ever and quite possibly the most fun thing I've ever done. I would not have enjoyed myself nearly as much had it not been for the class. Plus, Dave and (another student, an inmate) Eric did the track day too, and we all split a garage. Great day all around. Dave was just as awesome "off the clock" as he had been teaching the class.

I might have a new, expensive, high-speed track addiction....

I would whole-heartedly recommend the ARC to anyone who wants to sharpen up their skills and have a great time doing it.
mokosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #78
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimolen View Post
I would whole-heartedly recommend the ARC to anyone who wants to sharpen up their skills and have a great time doing it.

Nice!

Just did another track day. Every time I get to revisit TC-ARC lessons:

(That's a 180 degree left-hander... I even managed to impress an instructor who was following, with my vision through the turns!)

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #79
DaveHunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I took Parks' ARC in Loudon, NH at the track. Aug. 2008. I've taken the MSF ERC twice. I think I got more out of Parks' class. Wish it was less class time and more range time. The class time seamed like a re-hash of the book to me. I wish I could have done the track days but I wasn't comfortable using my ST13 for it. I think I want a smalller bike to try out the track.
DaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #80
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I'm going to Christine's class on May 28. Very psyched.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #81
mokosai
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone here have any first-hand experience with the Level II class? I want to learn more, but I'm not sure if an ARC Level II class is the right way to go, or maybe a track school or something similar.

Also, does it make sense to do the Level II class right after the Level I, or should I do a few more track days in between to sharpen up the Level I skills first?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #82
outlaws justice OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimolen View Post
Anyone here have any first-hand experience with the Level II class? I want to learn more, but I'm not sure if an ARC Level II class is the right way to go, or maybe a track school or something similar.

Also, does it make sense to do the Level II class right after the Level I, or should I do a few more track days in between to sharpen up the Level I skills first?
I Helped Lee develop the Level II class, (Not with very much of my Input) but by being the test rider, and I also helped teach some of the first classes. It is taught both ways back to back with level I or with space between. I guess it depends on how you learn etc. For ME it makes sense to take some time between to work on the level I stuff and then go for the Level II. It is very good materials and a little revist to a few things from Level I. If you liked Level I you will enjoy level II
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #83
Corbets
Gravity Slave

Oddometer: 33
This is a great thread! I've been riding about a year and 3500km on a learner's permit, as the Swiss system is a little different (I also have about 20 hours experience with an instructor two-up on my F800R, and maybe 12 hours group training, because I have plenty of room for improvement)) and there's no need to rush the test. But it really sounds like these courses are fantastic, and if they were offered around here I'd probably sign up.

I'm off to buy a book now though. ;)
Corbets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #84
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
This is a great thread! I've been riding about a year and 3500km on a learner's permit, as the Swiss system is a little different (I also have about 20 hours experience with an instructor two-up on my F800R, and maybe 12 hours group training, because I have plenty of room for improvement)) and there's no need to rush the test. But it really sounds like these courses are fantastic, and if they were offered around here I'd probably sign up.

I'm off to buy a book now though. ;)
I'd also get Twist of the Wrist 2 (Keith Code), and also the two Proficient Motorcycling books by David Hough. The former may seem designed for the track, but I've found it's really helpful as a street rider. The latter two are street and survival oriented.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #85
mokosai
Gnarly Adventurer

I just got photos taken during the class and track day, so I thought I'd post a few of them here to give people who haven't taken the class a better idea of what you learn. I came in with few skills and little confidence, but was all a lot of fun even though I'm definetly not a pro just yet!

At the class:
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #86
mokosai
Gnarly Adventurer

Now a right turn. Still haven't used the tires all the way to the edge, it seems!
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #87
mokosai
Gnarly Adventurer

And finally, using those new-found turning skills at my first ever track day.

(No, I wasn't really keeping up with those bikes, and yes, I am going to let them pass me on the next straight, but it was still fun.)
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #88
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
I did some searches and did not come up with much. I was wondering how many people here have taken the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic? www.totalcontroltraining.net I also would like some thoughts from those who have. (I have been teaching it since 2006) I have traveled all over to teach, or help teach the class, from Washington and California to N.C., Tenn, and GA. to Maryland, N.Y. and N.H.

The Class was a real eye opener for me, especially being an MSF instructor that I saw the need for such training and got involved. Now when I have a free weekend or vacation time I use it to travel and teach where needed and requested when I can.

We have Classes scheduled for June 3rd or June 4th (Your choice) for Nashville Tenn. If you are interested in taking one you can sign up here. http://www.nashvilleriders.com/index...tion-june-2011
Well, shoot. I stumbled on this thread a bit too late, it seems. I am going to do one of these classes one day.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #89
outlaws justice OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censport View Post
Well, shoot. I stumbled on this thread a bit too late, it seems. I am going to do one of these classes one day.
Never too late, I will be back in Nashville for classes in Late September when it cools down!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #90
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Christine's class in Poughkeepsie, NY, at the end of May was excellent. Wish I'd signed up for Day Two. Discovered during the 40-foot circle drill that I had my FJR sufficiently over that there's little or no chicken strip; the body positioning really makes a difference.