User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
RR 101; CDR to TAT and such.

Well it's about time I got around to writing up a Ride Report and giving back to the forum that has given me so much (in the way of inspiration, FF's are notoriously cheap).

Last year a friend and I left Lander, Wy and picked up the conveniently placed Continental divide trail (road?). We headed South and in Colorado turned West on the Trans American Trail until we hit Green River, Utah and headed North for home. Pulling the tracks from the GPS to the computer, then to google maps is to frustrating, so sorry I don't have a map with the route on it.

Since this trip is over a year old, I don't really remember a whole lot of details, so the whole report will be mostly pictures.

Me on the left with an 08 KTM 990a, Joel on the right with a well modified XR650R. This is the generic departure shot, where everything is clean and tidy and nothing could possibly go wrong..

After a 70 mile ride on pavement we get to turn South onto some dirt. This is a road that even though I live around here I've never taken. If you turn right at Jeffery City, Wyoming, this will take you to Rawlins. Sure beats the slab! Be warned safety conscious people, I took pictures and played with the GPS while riding... but it's ok, i had ATGATT.

Just outside of Rawlins, we stopped for lunch. As I pulled off the dirt road in favor of primitive parking, the big girl lugged then stalled and fell asleep (wish I'd have got a shot of it down). Cover the clutch when your gears are tall.

Scratched up my homemade panniers

And broke a turn signal (a full year later, the tape is still holding and the bulb still working)

After lunch we got here. We must be in Colorado by this point.

Stopped at a deserted campground for the night. It's nice when you get a place all to yourself.

At the end of each day I took a shot of the GPS trip stats.

On to day two...
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

It rained somewhat at night and we awoke to wet.. everything.

First river crossing for the 990! Ok.. so it was a stream... maybe a puddle.

Overlooking some town in Colorado. Radium I think..?

Stopped in Silverthorne (I think) to do a photo-shoot of J.Crew's new advertising campaign featuring adventure motorcycling.

Notch.

Probably Silverthorne... (hrm that means this shot should have been before the last two.. oh well)

The road we are on apparently once had rails.

Started to rain a bit on Boreas pass... hence the rain jacket (that's a high dollar wal-mart sweat encasing super shell right there. Keeps the rain out, but you still get wet)

40mph limit on a dirt road as smooth as this? puaaleeeze..

IIRC we started splashing bigger and bigger puddles after this picture and by the time we got to the outskirts of Salida it was a full rain. Which as would happen in the west, as soon as we found a motel, it stopped raining and the sun came out to dry everything.

Stats for Day 2 (mileage is cumulative so subtract 311.5 from this for the total for day 2)
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

Bright and early we are out of the Motel.

I remember some about this pass. It was fast and had good rhythm. Might have been the weekend, as we were having to pass people constantly! We also passed a string of BMW's that were all loaded to the gills. Wonder where they were from/going.. but we didn't slow down to chat.

Decent scenery

The Forest Service in Colorado maintains these roads to well..

I started to get pretty good at these over the shoulder shots while on the move.

I think this is somewhere outside Lake City. Anyway this granite wall was so large and abrupt it didn't seem real. Kinda in the same way you see something on TV in HD and you're like.. "that ain't real"

We ate lunch at the BBQ place in Lake City (closed now?). We knew we'd be "out there" for the night so we stopped at the little grocery store for dinner. They had a very decent steak selection for such a small place.

Generic shot on Cinnamon pass

Look how good I am at drawing tracks

Generic.

Even more generic

R.O.U.S.

Animas Forks. Very cool to see this well preserved ghost mining town in person.

Some scale to California Pass. Absolutely stunning in person. I think it's the golden color to the rocks and the lack of trees that sets this area so far apart from other passes.

13,000 feet. For those interested the XR ran perfectly all the way up here. from 5k to 13k Joel said he never felt like the carb needed to be fiddled with.

I think this photo is used in most of the bars and restaurants in the area..

If you haven't been out west yet, it really is a motorcyclists playground.

Down the other side
Old 08-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 Continued

Still had snow in August 2011. Is there any this year (2012) after such a hot summer?

Scenery before we go back up on corkscrew.

Everything is to steep to get the bikes off the road around here. So we have to leave the bikes on what I suppose you could call a pull-out and camp primitive style.

Ribeye's for dinner!

Trip Stats for day 3
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought maybe I could bang this whole report out today, but the rest will have to wait till tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Kurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Very nice, man I love riding in Colorado...

Also that 990 is such a sweet bike, I really need to buckle down and get one.
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring Edition
2008 KTM 690 Enduro - Sold
Kurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

Camping works out really well when your entire day's plan is just to ride your bike. No tv or restaurants to distract you, you just get up with the sun and go.

Working our way down Hurricane.

Ophir pass.

As we were descending Ophir pass, we found this guy. That's an Electra-glide. He said he'd been duck walking for an hour to get as far as he was. I think in total he spent a little over 2 hours getting down the pass. But good on ya buddy!

Happy bike, Happy life

Finally getting into Moab. The road into Moab from the mountains to it's East was really fun.

End of day 4
Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5

Today the plan was to stick around in Moab and ride the slick rock trail. I wanted to try a decently hard trail with the 990 to really test it.

The direction the Slick Rock trail was heading started getting quite difficult. I was abusing the clutch (stock gearing!) and it was approaching 100 degrees. A couple spots I had to get off and rock/push the bike and then we had enough. Luckily we could escape Slick Rock on Hells Revenge trail which was considerably easier.. I think I even got int 2nd gear on it! Of course, any time the going gets rough.. the pictures stop going.. sorry.

I'd like to come back here with a smaller bike to pre-run the trail, then do it on the 990 (geared 16/45 though).

Since we cut our play time a bit short we decided to leave the hotel and continue on the TAT. But not before I did some laundry first.

If I were to move somewhere (in the States anyway), Moab would be high on my list.

This would have been a great photo had it not been out of focus. But you just can't properly check these things while riding.

A little over an hour out we stopped because I kicked up a rock and broke the XR's windshield.

I didn't let my bathtub laundry dry completely before I put some of it back on. Good thing I had the other pair of socks bungied to the back of the bike and they had dried out.

This area is completely deserted until your all of a sudden going over the interstate.

This is was the most potholed paved road I've ever been on. I assume it is no longer maintaned, If you go fast enough it really isn't rough at all. Another out of focus picture, but you get the idea of the road.

Found a motel, and sent some photos to wife and family.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6

Motel's always cause you to start a little late. The sun is already up.

The ol' Bee in the helmet trick.

And one in the jacket

We didn't have any tracks to follow or even a plan for this day. We just drew some tracks on my net-book based on what we could tell might be a road on the Utah atlas. It ended up working very well. We were rewarded with some excellent scenery.

Cockpit of the XR

Standing over the shoulder while moving photo

WTF pavement!?

This is around the flaming gorge area. Some of the best we've been on yet!

We came across this swinging bridge. Maybe you could get a subcompact car across this. So disappointing that my camera battery decided to die before I could get more pictures. This whole area deserves a revisit in the future I think.

Got the camera on for one last shot on the Loop Road just 20 miles from home.

Thats it, 6 days of riding around. Thanks to all the ADV support and inspiration, I probably wouldn't have done much of this without this website!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Great Shots, i cant wait to ride this area

thanks for sharing!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
MrLebowski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
Very nice, man I love riding in Colorado...

Also that 990 is such a sweet bike, I really need to buckle down and get one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
Great Shots, i cant wait to ride this area

thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the feedback!

I am planning a Baja trip (entire peninsula) this winter, I'll try to make the ride report a little more detailed and maybe get it on a few separate pages to help facilitate loading the pictures.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
red1100cc
motorcycle snowman

Oddometer: 151
Thumb dig the pics

i really liked your trip report. it looks like an excellent ride.
thank you for shareing.
red1100cc is offline   Reply With Quote