Oddometer: 119
was it sold as being in that bad of condition
is it just a temp pipe?
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #17
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

Oddometer: 5,520
I asked for a cheap stock pipe. He sent a picture. But it just did not do it justice. I expected it to be rough. But not that bad. I assumed a few coats of header paint would have made good enough.

Here is the image he sent.

Hind sight is 20/20. As I look for it now I can see some of it. I guess it's my fault for not looking closer.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,724
D -

Can you fix it and make it work?

I don't think I could but you seem to have mad ninja skillz!

Also, I am assuming the one off the original motor doesn't fit?

As you go through this, remember that many of us (maybe just me?) know little about doing this stuff so, if in doubt - explain!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

I will make it work. I am just dissappointed it was not cleaner. Like I said before. I am going for a low bling end result. So a clean matte black pipe would have made me happy.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 667

scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
DRAGON1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

The pipe is coming along.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

Once the hear shirk came off it wasn't to bad.

We welded some nuts to the pipe so we could mount part of the heat shield to the pipe. And closed a hole in bottom of the pipe. Tomorrow I will get some header paint.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
love the 150 ruck up..

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I bet with new paint standing a few feet away no one would think it was thrashed before looks fine from the pics

ive found one brand of high temp BBq paint looks like it turns purple, and has weird flake things in it. Where another brand goes on great flat black, and one the pipe is totally dry you can take a rag and buff it to a shiny black finish.
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #26
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

I think it will look ok now too. But we had an idea. Maybe we will put the stock Ruckus heat shield on the pipe. That will cover the whole thing. And keep it looking stock. For now it's ready for paint.

Once the bike is together will check to see how the ruckus heat shield looks.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
scooterpartsco
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
Got my used pipe. Woohoo!!!! Not!!!

What a piece of crap. I am very disappointed.

I enjoy watching people do neat things to Ruckuses, and yours sounds like it will be a good one. You are now in the process of discovering that all GY6 parts are not made equal. You could have bought a brand new exhaust for $60-70 from a very good company, and a high quality new engine for about $450-500.
scooterpartsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #28
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

I had a problem finding a new stock pipe. And I want the scooter as quiet as possible. But the motor is brand new. I bought in a kit from Rucksters. They came highly recommended from the people on Total Ruckus. I spent a little more, because I was afraid of buying crap. I hope the people were right.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #29
scooterpartsco
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
I had a problem finding a new stock pipe. And I want the scooter as quiet as possible. But the motor is brand new. I bought in a kit from Rucksters. They came highly recommended from the people on Total Ruckus. I spent a little more, because I was afraid of buying crap. I hope the people were right.
I can get you a stock pipe anytime you want one. Also, most of the european aftermarket pipes are quiet. It's the Taiwanese and Chinese stuff that is as loud as it possible can be. Do you know who made your new engine?

If you do decide to make it a little faster or just operate more efficiently, PM me. About 90% of the aftermarket parts for these engines is crap, including most of the CDIs out there. At our shop, we try just about everything before we recommend it, which of course means we break a lot of stuff (Just melted a $200 Airsal Minarelli Topend. But at least we know not to sell them.) and end up with piles of parts that we won't sell, but over the years, I've gotten a pretty good idea of what's worth doing, what's worth doing if you want to keep it reliable and drivable, and what's a total waste of time and money. There are specific parts that you want to replace with good quality parts from the get go because if you have cheap parts in the transmission, for example, when they fail they take out a lot of other parts with them. Belts that fail sometimes destroy clutches and variators. So you want a good belt, but not a kevlar belt because they don't flex enough to get along with the inconsistencies of Chinese Variators and clutches, and you want good rollers. Agipe makes a decent carbon fiber roller that you can get at any dealer with a Parts Unlimited catalog, and eitherr Bando (Honda OEM and probably the best choice for a daily driver) or Gates make good belts, but if you get them online at one of the whorehouses, you will most likely get the scooter belt equivalent of a $50 dollar Louis Vitton bag. If you are using the short crankcase engine, you are pretty much limited to the 743, but the long crankcase takes either an 835 or an 842 belt. No matter what's in there, replace it with a Bando 842. The bike will take off better and go faster. Get a good battery. The MotoBatt is a good one, but I would try to stick one in that is a little larger than the one that is coming out. I think the YTZ10 is the same size but taller. Use as much of the Honda stuff as you can, and get the electronic components from a decent OEM company when you need them.

I have a pipe for the GY6 150 that looks like an expansion chamber and is pretty quiet that I am tired of looking at. It's brand new, and with shipping we paid $65. The company that sells them bought them over for 50cc engines, and the Chinese gave them the wrong parts, (They also bought a whole bunch of 2 stroke pipes that don't mount up on the engines) so I got this one to try as a sample, and I don't think I'm going to sell it out of the store anytime soon.. If you want it, I'll give it to you for what I'm in it. If you are interested, PM me, and I'll direct you to a link to look at it. It would look pretty good on your Ruckus.

scooterpartsco screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 11:37 PM
scooterpartsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
NachoRoto OP
Motorcyclist-Retired

Ok
I finally have my tracking number for my kit. The pipe is more or less ready. I did not paint it. I am going to fit the stock Ruckus heat shield. But I wanna wait until the pipe is on the bike so it get mounted right.
As for where my engine came from, I am not sure who made it. But its new and Rucksters includes it with their kit. According to them they bought from various distributers. And motors they use now are far superior to the ones they have gotten in the past.