Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #76
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,690
I will definitely check it out. But I do run the pressure a bit low to help the suspension. I will try normal pressures and see what happens.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #77
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
My wife thinks your dog is da bomb! What a great set up!

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #78
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniSMC View Post
I will definitely check it out. But I do run the pressure a bit low to help the suspension. I will try normal pressures and see what happens.

Yes, try 35-40 PSI and I think you'll be impressed. It really makes a difference on these little 150 cc bikes, I mean on a car or Harley you won't feel much of a difference if any at all, but a 150 cc motor is making pretty low torque and not a lot of HP.

Low end, pure throttle response, high end and top speed will all go up. You may be getting just the performance you want right now which is great, but I'm sure anyone would benefit from a bit better MPG, engine life and extra performance.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #79
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok
I aired up. And checked the plug.

I am no expert on reading plugs, but this looks rich bordering on fine. The ground strap is golden brown. The sides are black thou. But it's not white. That we know for sure. So I readjusted the the mixture in a bit and went for a spin.
I got to 52 in a spot where I used to get 48mph. How does this plug look to you?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #80
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
That is a kick-ass dog.
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #81
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok
I aired up. And checked the plug.

I am no expert on reading plugs, but this looks rich bordering on fine. The ground strap is golden brown. The sides are black thou. But it's not white. That we know for sure. So I readjusted the the mixture in a bit and went for a spin.
I got to 52 in a spot where I used to get 48mph. How does this plug look to you?

Plug looks just fine to me. Definitely not too lean, yes white is usually lean. It has lots of life left as well.

Yes I think the tires and maybe the mixture helped your speed a bit. On my Elite 150, if the pressure is too low it makes the scoot harder to move around!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #82
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Even thou the plug looked ok. I decided to play with the jetting anyway. It had 36 pliot and 102 main. And I noticed when the choke was on it ran like a monster. I ordered a jet kit a few weeks back. It was $15 and came with a 120, 125,130 and 135 main. And a bought a 38 pilot. So I put in the 38 pilot and 120 main(since it was the smallest I had). The difference I can see right now is the motor runs much smoother. And feels a hair faster. Now my top speed this morning was 56 mph on the bridge. Compared to the 45 of last week I am happy.
Now I plan to order some variator parts and springs. I have an idea of what I want, but I am not sure what clutch main spring to get. A 1000, 1500 or 2000 RPM. And then what weight rollers depending on the spring. Top end is not that important to me. As long as it hits 50 I am cool. I want it to pull hard to 50.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #83
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Even thou the plug looked ok. I decided to play with the jetting anyway. It had 36 pliot and 102 main. And I noticed when the choke was on it ran like a monster. I ordered a jet kit a few weeks back. It was $15 and came with a 120, 125,130 and 135 main. And a bought a 38 pilot. So I put in the 38 pilot and 120 main(since it was the smallest I had). The difference I can see right now is the motor runs much smoother. And feels a hair faster. Now my top speed this morning was 56 mph on the bridge. Compared to the 45 of last week I am happy.
Now I plan to order some variator parts and springs. I have an idea of what I want, but I am not sure what clutch main spring to get. A 1000, 1500 or 2000 RPM. And then what weight rollers depending on the spring. Top end is not that important to me. As long as it hits 50 I am cool. I want it to pull hard to 50.

Thats great! 56 MPH is good on GPS with that kind of weight.

As for the weights and springs, don't mess with it TOO much. If you go way to light, the scoot will annoy the hell out of you with buzzing. Top speed will probably be 45-50 MPH, but at low speeds the motor will be running real fast. It will feel like putting your car in 2nd or 3rd gear and flooring it down the interstate.

I would probably go with a 1000-1500 RPM clutch spring. Weight rollers should be just a bit lighter than stock. Get Dr.Pullys, and go with 9 or 10 gram weights.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #84
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post

I would probably go with a 1000-1500 RPM clutch spring. Weight rollers should be just a bit lighter than stock. Get Dr.Pullys, and go with 9 or 10 gram weights.
Agreed. I was thinking 1000 rpm clutch spring and 10 Gram weights. I am also ordering a few more jets. 105 108 and a 110. 108 is probably going to be the sweet spot. From what people tell me anyway.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #85
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Agreed. I was thinking 1000 rpm clutch spring and 10 Gram weights. I am also ordering a few more jets. 105 108 and a 110. 108 is probably going to be the sweet spot. From what people tell me anyway.

Yea, I think the 1,000 RPM clutch spring will be good. Not so high its annoying, but improved takeoff. 10 grams will be good, you may loose a couple MPH but maybe gain some with you and your dog's weight.

Yea, jetting is trial and error. Its pretty complicated, but those sizes sound about right. I would think 120 is a bit rich for a 150 cc with stock muffler, as when I had that on my Elite 150 is would bog. I run a 102 on it, but in your case 108-110 would probably be perfect.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #86
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Well the speedo pretty much exploded the first time I hit 50. I thought I broke the cable, but it turns out the plastic wheel pickup was in pieces. Since the speedo only went to 40(sort of), I decided to upgrade.

I decided to go with a Vapor from trail tech. I have used them before on other bikes. the look cool and work well. Where the old speedo just gave speed. The new vapor gives you air temp, engine temp, tach, speedo and multiple trip meters. It also remembers top speeds and temps. This will come in handy for the fine tuning.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #87
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Ok the speedo is calibrated. And my new jets came. Originally the jets were 136/102. I then went 138/120(120 is all I had). Today I put a 105 in. We have a new top speed.

Oh so close to 60.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #88
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok the speedo is calibrated. And my new jets came. Originally the jets were 136/102. I then went 138/120(120 is all I had). Today I put a 105 in. We have a new top speed.

Oh so close to 60.

Nice job!

Made a huge difference! Is that speed with just or or with the dog? I'd say thats a really good speed for that kind of weight! And thats true speed, not indicated!

Better than 35 MPH of the original Ruckus! Good job and keep posting!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #89
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Geez, I love this thread, and your dog.. even my wife asked me about your dog today LOL!

What is that freaking awesome looking speedo!?!?! was is pricey?

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #90
NachoRoto OP
Meet you there. OK?

Trailtech.net sells kits for variuos bikes. They actually had a kit for a ruckus. It was $129.