Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
well i for one will be following this saga as it progresses. this is one of those lowest price, most generic chinese scooters around. i doubt it's a ZNEN scoot, but most likely from some other chinese maker

i can read chinese scooter forums and the info and opinions and experiences are just all over the place. and now that i have some experience with my own scooter, have collected some tools, and am comfortable with the idea of doing some work on it, a chinese scooter for some transpo purposes is viable. trouble is i live in Cali, and the 200cc big wheeled scooter i would consider isn't approved for emissions by Cali. but a 150cc big wheeled scooter is, and it would certainly be more appropriate for climbing some local hills and getting down some faster roads then my smaller wheeled 125 is

thing is, i wouldn't want a "project" bike. or anything i would have to fuss with too much after a good PDI. i like the fact my Kymco just runs and runs and runs, and does it well. starts and goes, battery still works, bulbs don't blow, valves don't need adjusting, nothing has been changed, swapped out, or broken. i also like its solid feel on the road

but, you never know. and i figure if THIS chinese scooter has what it takes to go along fine, you never know if i might pick up a 150 with 16in wheels for $1000 just for the heck of it. not expecting it to last too long, but if i got even 12,000 fairly trouble free miles for $1000 out of it, that would be a deal for me, really. heck, even 10,000 miles. especially as a "second" scoot

we shall see...

DudeClone screwed with this post 03-07-2011 at 02:06 AM
DudeClone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #17
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz View Post
Loos good so far.

I guess there is a bit of luck of the draw in these scooters.

Other than that, just keep an eye and hand on it.

Hope you stay a happy customer.
on all counts

I had a Vento ZipR3i and it was a great bike for me. I had to go over it with a fine tooth comb initially, and fix one minor problem, but it never let me down as a daily driver and I wish I still had it. I knew it was probably luck of the draw to some degree, though the PO had 2 of them and ran them both WFO all day long in the True Grits rally right out of the box with zero issues.

Good luck! Hope you got a good one.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #18
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
might pick up a 150 with 16in wheels
Just for reference . . the China 16" wheel scooters usually have some variation of a GY6-B engine. The ignition system components ARE generally the same as non-B engines.

For those considering a China scooter . . the Baja SC150, sold by Pep Boys, has both front and rear disc brakes. Also include Superior Powersports in your research.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #19
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Just for reference . . the China 16" wheel scooters usually have some variation of a GY6-B engine. The ignition system components ARE generally the same as non-B engines.

For those considering a China scooter . . the Baja SC150, sold by Pep Boys, has both front and rear disc brakes. Also include Superior Powersports in your research.
Why anyone would willingly buy a Baja scooter from Pep Boys is beyond me. I can truly say that I've never seen a scooter in their store that was assembled in a road worthy manner. But that actually pales in comparison to the fact that the company was fined $5million dollars for falsifying emissions on a quarter million vehicles and engines. They are known to lie and to cut corners. Why reward bad behavior?
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears View Post
Baja . . . fined $5million dollars for falsifying emissions on a quarter million vehicles and engines.
I could be wrong . . but it seems like the crux of the emissions violations was that the carbs did not have a plug over the low-speed mixture screw.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
I could be wrong . . but it seems like the crux of the emissions violations was that the carbs did not have a plug over the low-speed mixture screw.
Its telling that they didn't care about meeting the small standards for something that would cost them pennies at most. They are a big company who knew the easy to meet standards, but they chose to ignore the standards. So they cheaped out to make a fast buck rather than meeting an easy to meet standard. Even the $5million fine probably didn't affect their bottom line when you realize how many vehicles they sold and how much they made per vehicle. Again, why reward knowingly bad behavior? Why trust a known cheapskate to do anything but be substandard?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #22
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears View Post
Its telling that they didn't care about meeting the small standards for something that would cost them pennies at most.
Similar Genuine Scooter Company issue.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305

I've been bumming around on scoot dawg and some other forums about these.

There's some interesting 150-180s out there, but I'm really curious about the reflex copies as well, they seem to be really popular and there's a nice blue one in my apartment complex that I see running around the city all the time.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
on all counts

I had a Vento ZipR3i and it was a great bike for me. I had to go over it with a fine tooth comb initially, and fix one minor problem, but it never let me down as a daily driver and I wish I still had it. I knew it was probably luck of the draw to some degree, though the PO had 2 of them and ran them both WFO all day long in the True Grits rally right out of the box with zero issues.

Good luck! Hope you got a good one.

You old the zip!?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #25
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Similar Genuine Scooter Company issue.
Similar except that it was a couple hundred/ maybe a thousand scooters in a single shipment that got held back at customs versus a quarter million scooters, bikes and engines actually sold to customers before getting caught. Genuine doing something wrong doesn't let Pep Boys/Baja off the hook.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #26
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
You old the zip!?

Yeah. I am a idjit for many reasons but specifically for selling the Zip. It was one of those "need money/room for another bike" things but I should've held on to it anyway. It was a sweet little 'round town bike.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Had a few of these when they first started showing up over here about 5-6 years ago. Ridden intown they seem to hold up real well with occasional parts cracking or rattling off. However they don't hold up quite as well when used for distances especially at speeds around 50 or so. Whatever you do ,don't try to hop it up. The connecting rods must be made of beer cans.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #28
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
All I can say is you DON'T want a Baja from Pep Boys! Seriously, trust me you DON'T. They are absolute junk.

I have known many who have nothing but bad experiences with them. I can't speak for a lot of these chinese bikes, but those are just a bad idea.

And yes, they are almost like a 30 year old bike. They need a bit of work to be reliable. My Elite 150 along with almost all these old scoots won't be reliable for day to day long distance riding [Don't ask me how I know!]. They need things like intake manifold, tires, brakes, hoses/tubes, bolts, etc to become reliable. And once you get all the crap sorted out, they can become extremely reliable scooters for many years to come and won't ever let you down.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
...they are almost like a 30 year old bike. They need a bit of work to be reliable...
Maybe so. But my 1962 Honda 50 was a lot more reliable than almost anything you can buy today nearly 50 years later. I'll take pushrods, breaker point ignition, and a dirt-simple carb over the half-dozen onboard computers that are used today. This is especially true with Chinese stuff, where they simply don't care about quality or safety.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
Nothing new yet. I am waiting for the MSO paperwork to show up and for Progressive to bill me for the insurance. The VIN doesn't show up in their database so it is going to take a couple of days.