ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #31
RLK

Oddometer: 6,312
A thourough post delivery inspection will catch 95 percent of the manufacturing shortcomings that everyone loves to yell about. With a little bit of know-how and an average ammount of common sense such a machine can be a sound investment.

Many helpful tips have been offered, especially about the fuel lines, fluids and electrical connections. I'd like to suggest loctite on everything, clear silicon on all electrics.

Since its probably been sitting in a humid hot warehouse near a salty ocean for 3+ years look at all the welds and get in there with a wire brush and Rustoleum where there may be any rust! Be ready to get your hands dirty and be both mechanic and operator. That's kinda the point, isn't it? Enjoy the ride.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #32
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
the few china scoots I see around all have yellowed clear cracked plastics. also did you notice in the video, because ive seen this in person the exhaust tip is fake. It has a small tube that 90's out under the the 1-1/2 looking tip. Why they couldnt just run that tiny tube straight out is beyond me

price is good for a beginner to see if its something they like, then later upgrade to a real one
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #33
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,684
I should of bought one of these. It would of given me all the parts I needed for my ruckus upgrade for less money.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #34
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegigabyte View Post
...price is good for a beginner to see if its something they like, then later upgrade to a real one
I'd be more pro China scooters is this was actually the case. I personally know 5 people who bought a Chinese scooter as a first scoot and gave up on scooting altogether because of the near constant maintenance. My scooter friends and I try to tell them that they just got a lemon and should try a reputable brand. But they feel too burned to really ride another scooter even though they admit that the act of riding is indeed enjoyable.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #35
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,971
Hope you get issued the titles, they had a little problem with multiple bikes with the same VINs a while back. PA. Dot wouldn't issue titles .
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #36
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
thats one thing to consider, if you have it delivered to your house at least in my state I had to go to the dmv and give them the title(they kept it), then they wanted to inspect it so I had to go back home and bring it there and took forever to find the numbers on it. Then I had to pay fees etc but this was a dirtbike. I would think getting a plate just adds more dmv time where if you buy at a dealership they take care of all that and you know for sure its legal then.

any bike you must do maintenance on or have it done. Its not hop on and ride, since your only on 2 wheels there is more that can go wrong. In the beginning frequent oil changes and gear oil changes can help, flush out any shavings and use decent oil. I try to change both oils at 1000 miles. Its what 1/2 quart or so. About 10 min to do. Go over every bolt and if any are loose and you can take it out loctite them down.

If I was to buy a china model I would also go over it very thoroughly in the beginning checking everything. Just they are so ugly looking, like the SPEED sticker in some random spot.
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #37
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
My Xingyue ITA 150 was jetted so lean it wouldn't hardly run when it was cold. It also had a bad habit of shooting oil out of the primitive crankcase venting system during sustained high speed running. I did a very thorough PDI, including replacement of all hoses, fuel filter, loctiting of bolts not locktited at the factory, including the manifold bolts. I also adjusted the valves. I lubed every electrinal connection with dielectric grease and sealed with silicone. I changed all the fluids. The front wheel bearings failed after 500 miles.

Still, I liked the bike and would have kept it, but it was too tall to carry on the front of my Excursion without blocking the headlights. With a re-jet it would have been fine for in town commuting.

Scootdawg is a great forum for these things.

2000 ST1100 ABS

jspringator screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 03:52 AM
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #38
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
My Xingyue ITA 150 was jetted so lean it wouldn't hardly run when it was cold. It also had a bad habit of shooting oil out of the primitive EGR system during sustained high speed running. I did a very thorough PDI, including replacement of all hoses, fuel filter, loctiting of bolts not locktited at the factory, including the manifold bolts. I also adjusted the valves. I lubed every electrinal connection with dielectric grease and sealed with silicone. I changed all the fluids. The front wheel bearings failed after 500 miles.

Still, I liked the bike and would have kept it, but it was too tall to carry on the front of my Excursion without blocking the headlights. With a re-jet it would have been fine for in town commuting.

Scootdawg is a great forum for these things.

Hmm, yea as from what I'm hearing these chinese scoots just don't like being run at or near WOT or at very high speeds. I think a 150 cc GY6 is a good in town bike, but things tend to go at high speeds for long periods.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
well heck, no WOT and no sale, perhaps. at least for me

i ride WOT somewhat often. even if not for extended periods, i have times when i do. and often times just around town i go WOT "light to light", however. especially among fast moving city traffic, or riding up local hills

DudeClone screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 03:49 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #40
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
I think he was talking about WOT on the freeway for long stints.
My buddy has a 12 mile commute to work each way and the max speed is 55 for a couple of stretches. He is driving a 1990's F150 truck which is pretty much guzzling gas. I could have loaned him my Zuma 50 but its max speed is 40 and no more. He has a leg problem which prohibits him from foot shifting so any real bike is out of the question. The Zuma is sweet and I don't want it stolen either. If somewhere in the future something happens to the China scoot, it is no big loss. The China parts availability is in place through a couple of distributors including the one I purchased from.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #41
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I wouldn't have taken my 150 on a 3+ miles on a 55 mph road. It couldn't maintain 55 on the hills. I would get a 250 for that. A much better bike for highway commuting. My Elite would excell in that environment.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #42
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator View Post
I wouldn't have taken my 150 on a 3+ miles on a 55 mph road. It couldn't maintain 55 on the hills. I would get a 250 for that. A much better bike for highway commuting. My Elite would excell in that environment.

My Kymco people 150 will maintain 55 even up hill and its not wide open. (on level ground)

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 06:54 AM
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #43
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
My Kymco people 150 will maintain 55 even up hill and its not wide open. (on level ground)

Yep, some of the higher end 150 scooters will maintain 55 MPH up some degree of hills without a problem.

I don't think a cheapo GY6 150 will pull it though. My Elite 150 will go up a pretty damn steep hill at 50 MPH no problem though. It goes just fine at 55 MPH, but it has 10+ MPH available at this speed, but a cheaper china scoot will likely be just about topping out at this speed.

Yes, for running 55 MPH a 250 is really better suited though. They are really designed for this kind of riding. 250 cc works great, but a high end 150 will pull it. The Scarebeo 150 performs almost like a 250, and is supposed to do 75 MPH actual speed, so 55 MPH would be fine for them.

Anyways, if the china scoot turns out to not work for him, get him an old Elite 250 and you won't be disappointed! They can be found for $1,000 in great condition.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #44
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

No hills here. Its pretty flat.
Scooters here are as rare as hens teeth. There was no way I could get a used one within a couple hours drive.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #45
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

I just got my proof of insurance. $36 for the year. Nice.