Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #46
DRAGON1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
A few years ago my wife bought a yiben 150. the dealer changed all the hoses and such and was a great scoot for a year and started us in the scoot fun. no regrets and we sold it with 2000 miles on it a year later for 150.00 less than we paid. it did have some quirks that we do not have on the kymcos and yamaha scoots but way more money invested.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #47
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
I am on a roll today. I took it to the shop and got it inspected. The tech wants one and asked how much and where to order it. The gas prices right now are really putting the hurt on anyone driving a truck.
Just waiting on the MSO to show up in the mail so I can get the plate.
I hit the highway and got it up to an indicated 60+. It is a bit bouncy in the rear suspension over bumps. The seat is comfy though.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #48
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
I could be wrong . . but it seems like the crux of the emissions violations was that the carbs did not have a plug over the low-speed mixture screw.

You are. The lab in China was falsifying results.
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #49
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
A thourough post delivery inspection will catch 95 percent of the manufacturing shortcomings that everyone loves to yell about. With a little bit of know-how and an average ammount of common sense such a machine can be a sound investment.

Many helpful tips have been offered, especially about the fuel lines, fluids and electrical connections. I'd like to suggest loctite on everything, clear silicon on all electrics.
that'll get you 2000-3000 miles out of it, if all goes well. When was the last time you heard about the crank breaking in half on a Honda or Yamaha with 250 miles on it, or the kickstand breaking off a Ruckus or the wiring harness melting down after someone changed a taillight bulb? Loctite and new fuel lines ain't gonna fix that.

The only places people rack up thousands and thousands of trouble free miles on cheap drop ship scooters is on forums like scooterdawg where half the posters sell drop ship scooters or parts for them. It's funny to me that the same people who rack up all these miles also plug the drop shippers and the parts sellers who post on the forums. I doubt if you could reach most of them via telephone. Here on AdvRider, where the mechanical dexterity of the typical poster seems to be much higher than ScooterDawg, but SPAM is kept under control, people don't seem to have the same miraculously good luck with drop ship scooters. What you read on AdvRider is a more accurate version of the cheap scooter ownership experience I have seen.

We had a Redstreak in the shop a week ago with 8,000+ miles on it. It was a Znen, and I was pretty impressed. Then I talked to the owner, and he's on his THIRD engine. Given the laws in South Carolina (you can ride one with no drivers license, insurance or registration), and how many people buy them (Selling Sunl and Qingqi 10-15 years ago, and everything since), you would think that my shop would have seen at least one or two high mileage Chinese mail order scooters that was relatively trouble free.

I am going to enjoy watching this saga unfold.

Motovista screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 09:10 PM
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #50
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I'd like to weigh in on this as well; my first scooter was a 2005 "Primo Pit Bull" 50cc two-stroke (identical to, and built by the same unpronounceable manufacturer as the Vento Triton) I bought this scooter with 600 miles on it for $600. Overall, the bike was one of the lucky few that made it to the 600 mile mark; in all honesty, this thing wasn't TERRIBLE, but it did have many flaws; both steel rims were off center and slightly warped, the headlight was practically useless it was so dim, the engine was a Minarelli clone that never quite ran right (no amount of carb adjustments could get it to start, idle, and accelerate properly; it was more of a "pick two out of three" situation). The first thing I did was change the final drive oil (which was already black), replace the spark plug, belt, and battery. I managed to get over 1,000 miles out of this thing before I was sick of it running poorly (which turned out to be a leaking crankcase gasket). I will note that after 1,000 miles, nearly everything was rusting due to poor quality paint and low grade metals. Would I ever buy another? Absolutely NOT. I've learned my lesson. When I restored my 1986 Honda Elite, I bought a Chinese clone of the original Kei-Hin carburetor; this carb had more defects than an infant born in Chernobyl! Warped vacuum chamber lid (and stacked o-rings to compensate for it!!!), plunger springs were too tall, stripped screw heads, obvious machining defects in bore, and a damaged cold start valve. I ended up using some of the parts from this carb to rebuild my original carb. Don't buy Chinese, it'll cost you in the end!
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #51
Motovista
Parts is Parts

The Factory Warranty

Does anyone want to tell Clayjars how he already voided the factory warranty?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #52
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
ok moped medic i know thats a joke. now you just playin' with our feelings :(

factory warranty
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #53
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
buying it voids the warranty
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #54
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

You can't opt out of the $60 6 month warranty from the distributor I got it from. I tried.

I don't think this bike is as doom and gloom as some of you are forecasting, but lets see what happens. That is the point of this thread.

There was a ride report a year or so ago where a kid rode one of these around the US and at the end just a few miles from home the motor nuked. I would love to find that RR again.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #55
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
You can't opt out of the $60 6 month warranty from the distributor I got it from. I tried.

I don't think this bike is as doom and gloom as some of you are forecasting, but lets see what happens. That is the point of this thread.

There was a ride report a year or so ago where a kid rode one of these around the US and at the end just a few miles from home the motor nuked. I would love to find that RR again.

did you do a engine psi test yet to get a base number with a new engine, then maybe every 1000 miles check it again just to see where its at
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #56
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegigabyte View Post
did you do a engine psi test yet to get a base number with a new engine, then maybe every 1000 miles check it again just to see where its at
If and when its starts burning oil I'll pull the top end and do rings.

On my Zuma 50 I think the recommended ring change is ever 2,000 miles.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #57
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

The stock Torch spark plug is replaced by a NGK C7HSA. Advance Auto carries them. I put a dab of antiseize on the threads just in case. I also changed the gear lube. My eyes might have played tricks on me but there did not look like much in there from the factory. I changed the oil and put 10W30. There is a screen, spring and oring on the drain plug. My XT225 has the same kind of deal. Very little metal and gasket material came out with the Chinese oil. Taking a closer look, the tires are tubeless. There is a bit of an out of balance feeling and of course there are no balancing weights on the wheels. Dynabeads might do the trick if it gets annoying.
The mirrors have an included turn signal. The mirrors suck. Too narrow and too low.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #58
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Actually, I have one GOOD thing to say about chinese no-name bikes right now.

If you have a little money, and you want to get some mechanical experience, well just get a used complete piece of shit china scoot for free on Craigslist, and there you go! If you stick with it for 5 years, you could be a certified motorcycle mechanic!

Hell, Wyotech should offer a program where if they give you a beat up no name chinese horrible motorcycle, and you can put 30,000 miles on it in one year and keep it running, you'll get your certificate!

BUT the bad about this. If you fix one up, you still have a POS bike! But if you buy an old beat up Elite 250 or old Honda Four, you'll get the experience AND have an awesome reliable to death motorcycle.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #59
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

I only read this online somewhere so I cant say its true but I read they dont use real oil, they use some weird fish oil or something. I drained my tranny off a stand up scooter and it was clear and half of it floated either water who knows but it was not gear oil. So who knows if that ends up causing problems where maybe in the us we have more open roads then they ride on so we go faster and longer (thats what she said)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #60
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegigabyte View Post
I only read this online somewhere so I cant say its true but I read they dont use real oil, they use some weird fish oil or something. I drained my tranny off a stand up scooter and it was clear and half of it floated either water who knows but it was not gear oil. So who knows if that ends up causing problems where maybe in the us we have more open roads then they ride on so we go faster and longer (thats what she said)

Thats nuts. The speed you go doesn't matter, gears are gears, and acceleration wears them more than long high speed riding. But somehow its no surprise to me.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote