Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #61
Mikegigabyte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
no I meant if your hauling ass for 20 miles full speed you will get insane heat and if your using china oil who knows how well it lubricates where maybe in china if your only going 25 mph part of the day stop and go it may be good enough to lube it

we all hear oil breaks down from heat and age, I bet the china oil is already broken down when they squeeze it out from the fish
Mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #62
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegigabyte View Post
no I meant if your hauling ass for 20 miles full speed you will get insane heat and if your using china oil who knows how well it lubricates where maybe in china if your only going 25 mph part of the day stop and go it may be good enough to lube it

we all hear oil breaks down from heat and age, I bet the china oil is already broken down when they squeeze it out from the fish

Oh that makes sense. It would be far less wear, but still its bad for the engine. But I doubt that the chinese even ride their own lowest quality bikes!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #63
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,759
I'm still waiting on the MSO. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow. In the mean time I pulled the transmission side cover to check the belt. Its a 835 20 30 Bando which should be fine. I lightly scribed the number on the airbox so when it comes time to replace I will know which part to order.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #64
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,432
Wow you're really doing this new scoot good. Most people who purchase the cheap scooters don't think about maintenance or break in periods, they just get them out of the box, strap on a helmet and go WOT, then can't figure out why the engine has melted beneath them within 100 miles.

You'll probably get better results because you're putting so much more thought into it than the Average Joe but it'll be interesting still how far you do get.

Now where on earth is that MSO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #65
kingdm54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Oh that makes sense. It would be far less wear, but still its bad for the engine. But I doubt that the chinese even ride their own lowest quality bikes!
Um, You're way wrong on that one sport. You have to remember the average person in China makes about $600.00 a year. These are all they can aford. They ride them till they are scap and patch them back together and do it again. The parts are cheap and they are cheap to maintain.

Heck I had 15000km on my last one and it never missed a beat. But I was a dumbass and ledt it unlock for 5 min while I ran into the house and it was gone when I got back down stairs...
kingdm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #66
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
i like to think Chinese scoots aren't complete junk but aren't top quality, either. the truth is somewhere in the middle for some manufacturers, most likely. such as Znen and a couple of others. Znen actually builds the Fly for Piaggio, so their assembly plants must be up to snuff, if not their own in house QC, exactly

companies which build their own model lines as opposed to clones are doing ok from what i read. CFMoto and Geely and the like

the trouble is with a lot of Chinese scoots their really is no dealer support or warranty for the most part. BMS and Flyscooters offer(ed) warranties dealers hated to honor (labor rates suck from what i've read, and BMS actually offers dealers small discounts on their next order for the warranty labor), and dealers from what i understand got tired of fixed bikes not staying fixed. too many unhappy customers

and like someone else posted above.....buy a scoot for $700 on the internet, mistreat it and toss it and never scoot again. brake failure, engine failure, and all else left to the customer to fix. heck some people just have a small problem but if they don't know how to fix it or who to ask the scooter might not ever run. so they are left with just another junkie "Made In China" product when the right owner might have it up and running fine lickity split

build quality definitely lags. hardware and general aesthetics. but if it runs safely and dependably for 15,000m and a person paid $1200 for it, you could say they got their monies worth, at least
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #67
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdm54 View Post
Um, You're way wrong on that one sport. You have to remember the average person in China makes about $600.00 a year. These are all they can aford. They ride them till they are scap and patch them back together and do it again. The parts are cheap and they are cheap to maintain.

Heck I had 15000km on my last one and it never missed a beat. But I was a dumbass and ledt it unlock for 5 min while I ran into the house and it was gone when I got back down stairs...
Thats true I was forgetting that.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #68
kingdm54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I paid 2800RMB (about $420.00) for my 150 3 months ago. It is a Vento copy. I can get a compleat topend kit for 95rmb ($15.00) even hopup parts from companys like NCY are cheap here.

For you and me that is CHEAP but for the average Chinese worker that is a big bite out of their monthy income.

Most the stuff sold in the US aside from Kymoc and some of the Taiwan modles were made for the domestic Chinese market. Someone thought it would be a great way to make a few bucks and got them (well some of them) D.O.T approved and started selling them abroad. They work great for the Chinese market (short runs around town at 35-60 kmh) but they were not designed for the demands we put on them in the US.

If you want better quality the Chinese can build it but of course it will cost more.
kingdm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #69
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Well the MSO and bill of sale showed up. I guessed the manufacturer and model wrong. The year and VIN I guessed right. I had no problems registering it, just show proof of inspection and pay the tax and fees.

16 miles on the OD.

It will never look like this again.

Who would have guessed JCL is the manufacturer? The VIN plate states some other name.

Well it is time to put some miles on it. Here's to a long life, no wrecks, or getting stolen or falling apart or blowing up. Here here!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #70
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

This thing is making me hungry for Chinese food.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #71
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Well the scooter has been on the road every day since Thursday. I am going to do a thorough 500 mile check for anything loose and change the oil. It is plenty fast for around here.
The mirrors suck bad and I am going to have to improvise something. I am not sure if the mirrors mount using standard mirror threads.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #72
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
w00t

scooting along fine, fortune cookie style
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #73
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Well the scooter has been on the road every day since Thursday. I am going to do a thorough 500 mile check for anything loose and change the oil. It is plenty fast for around here.
The mirrors suck bad and I am going to have to improvise something. I am not sure if the mirrors mount using standard mirror threads.
Locktite the exhaust manifold bolts and adjust the valves. There is a utube video on how to adjust the valves. Do this and put in a larger idle jet and you should be good to go.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #74
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
I went riding with a guy who has one of these Sunday. I didn't look it over closely, but we did over 100 miles and it never missed a beat. Seemed to perform well too. Not sure how many total miles he has on it.

http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 10:35 AM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #75
D0N
Banned

Oddometer: 280
I'm sorry but the chinese scooters, ATVs and dirtbikes just LOOK so darn cheap. They look like they're made with the same quality and attention to detail as those battery powered kids jeeps and other cars you find in walmart.

I surely hopes it rides and holds up better than it appears to be put together.

For another $600-$800 you could have bought a 25 year old elite 250 and had a really nice scooter that will last another 2-3 decades with minimal maintainance.

D0N screwed with this post 03-22-2011 at 04:34 PM
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote