Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #166
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,480
G'day All !!! I took the new toy for it's first somewhat major ride this weekend in my hands. Well the fuel consumption has taken a far dive could be just me with my heavy hand. Range has gone from close to 400km on a full tank to around 300km on a full tank.
The rear shock needs a way heavier spring. I will try and sort this out this week coming and the chair needs probably a stiffer spring or a sway bar. Bare in mind that I have limited chair experience but over 20 yrs of solo riding so I could be way off on what the chair really needs.

First impressions of now riding it for a week since having it all back. With the bike in sport mode and traction contol off and taking off hard at the lights it's a bloody monster, all it wants to do is lift its head off the road and sledge the front along the road. Even snapping the throttle quickly with the trac control on and in sport mode at lower speeds it becomes a bit of a hand full. On a dirt road its absolute fun it just loves to go sideways.

Brendan J screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 01:56 AM
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #167
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
I wouldn`t say its rough at all Neil.

I till have it here at home if you would like it Brendan.
G'day Nev yes I am interested in it will chat with ya sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halflive View Post
The front axle is on the short side, the nylock nut does not do it's job. So please, make a longer axle, or a different method to lock the nut.
I am thinking to use the same trail reduction on my /7 beemer which also has the original axle in front of the fork. That's what is bothering me. placing the axle another 4cm away from the fork leg would cause the slider to stick in the leg. Off course your setup is different because of the upside down fork. please report complaints if you have stick slip, I'm interested.
G'day Halflive I was a bit concerned about the said nut, I will sort it out soon I have been keeping an eye on the tightness of it so far so good. The front end has worked fantastic so far no complaints but saying that my skill level isn't good enough to push it hard enough yet to get any forseeable problems.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #168
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
G'day All !!! I took the new toy for it's first somewhat major ride this weekend in my hands. Well the fuel consumption has taken a far dive could be just me with my heavy hand. Range has gone from close to 400km on a full tank to around 300km on a full tank.
The rear shock needs a way heavier spring. I will try and sort this out this week coming and the chair needs probably a stiffer spring or a sway bar. Bare in mind that I have limited chair experience but over 20 yrs of solo riding so I could be way off on what the chair really needs.

First impressions of now riding it for a week since having it all back. With the bike in sport mode and traction contol off and taking off hard at the lights it's a bloody monster, all it wants to do is lift its head off the road and sledge the front along the road. Even snapping the throttle quickly with the trac control on and in sport mode at lower speeds it becomes a bit of a hand full. On a dirt road its absolute fun it just loves to go sideways.

As I said mate, just give it some time. Walk before you run. Don't try to over analise it all. Just ride and learn what it will do. You'll get there.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #169
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
As I said mate, just give it some time. Walk before you run. Don't try to over analise it all. Just ride and learn what it will do. You'll get there.

Yeah I know Lookin forward to Pooncarie tho and catching up with a few other somewhat like minded individuals
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #170
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,346
Quote:
G'day All !!!
The rear shock needs a way heavier spring.
Hi Brendan,

I have a rear shock out of the BMW 1150 GSA that you can have and adapt if you like, would stiffen up the rear end and......

...double the value of the outfit.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #171
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Brendan,

I have a rear shock out of the BMW 1150 GSA that you can have and adapt if you like, would stiffen up the rear end and......

Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #172
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

How dare you suggest I fit inferior parts to the bike that will one day be the bike that gets yours out of TROUBLE !!!!! It would clearly devalue the bike. I have a stiffer spring lined up anyway !!! I have other ideas to double the value. I should give both of you smarta*&e's a clip under the ear for being cheeky.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #173
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,888
Quote:
Hi Brendan,

That's all well and good but wouldn't it better to have something that would last longer than 200 K's?

Just sayin'

Hi Neil
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #174
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Eh? Modifications

How is it going with the the recent modifications Brendan? Just jousting.... er joking.. Pictures please
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #175
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
How is it going with the the recent modifications Brendan? Just jousting.... er joking.. Pictures please

Oooooh, that's a bit harsh But, considering the pasting you gave me when mine broke, yeah, where's the fkn photos????
Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #176
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Oooooh, that's a bit harsh But, considering the pasting you gave me when mine broke, yeah, where's the fkn photos????
pops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #177
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Well the fuel consumption has taken a far dive could be just me with my heavy hand. Range has gone from close to 400km on a full tank to around 300km on a full tank.
Maaaatttteeee,
75% sounds fairly bloody good, imho!
The Tiger would get well over 400k to the tank, solo. That dropped to 200k with the previous outfit and, with the new lighter jobbie, it's settling around 240-250km. Bit better than 11km/l at the moment, it seems.

Maybe it's a sloppy right wrist that's saving you heaps of juice.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #178
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Maybe it's the LIMP right wrist that's saving you heaps of juice.

Fixed!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #179
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Quote:

Yeah its about time I showed the damage !!!! I have managed to fix some of it. It still rough but at least it now has a bit of character I will say that I have had a rough week concerning the outfit. First off side swipping an oncoming vehicle was not pleasent and not something I really wanna repeat in a hurry or ever again for that fact. In fact I came very close to hitting 3 vehicles. I came very close to losing my life and it was a rude awakening !!!! The outfit understeered and pulled to the right across the road into the incoming lane, I had just exited a roundabout when it occured. This was by far the most frightening experience I have had so far on it. I was considering giving up on the sidecar lifestyle but after a good chat with Phyllis, Clancy I have decided to keep at it for a while longer and see how things go.!!!!!!!! I will say that inlight of what has happened it was more than likely a case of me trying to run before I can walk with the outfit. The few weeks I have had it in my posession have been a big learning curve, at times a lot more than I can handle but given time I hope to improve.

The second incident occurred the very next morning on the way to work. I had just pulled up behind a vehicle who had stopped at another roundabout on the way to work for the right side traffic to go through when I heard squealing of tyres behind me then I received a far nudge from behind . I looked around and was not happy as I see a young male putting something down inside his car (mobile phone I think). Luckly the young idiot behind me did more damage to his car than he did to my sidecar.

This was taken the night I got home, after I returned back to work and taped up the lose panels. the handlebar was badly bent in the accident luckly they are made from soft steel and was able to bend them back into reasonable shape. They looked side speedway handlebars after the accident. The Barkbusters I have fitted were a saving grace to my right hand. Without them I reckon I would have possibly crushed my right hand. I'm sorry for the photo of a patched up bike but at the time of the accident getting a photo was the least of my concerns.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #180
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 736
fark....glad you are ok!

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote