User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #196
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Thumb How?

How is it going Brendan? was briefly in Melbourne last week. Flew over for a funeral in Yackandandah. (90 yr old aunt)
I see another Chiang chair amongst the inmates.
Any good mods?
Called in at Antique tyres to see what they have for 17 inch rims.
I may get one of their 550-17's to trial though a bit pricey
Steering changes to yours?
Pictures?
cheers Bruce.
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #197
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Well since I have last posted about the build a fair bit has happen, some things I haven't or wanted to happen.

To start with the chair nudge/bull bar has been finished and fitted.

I had been hankering to also put some driving lights to make it a bit easier to see of a night time, as we some wonderful wildlife here that truely love to wrecker motor vehicles.

I have also been thinking of fitting a screen to the chair as well. I managed to sweet talk a good frien

And?????
Old 07-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #198
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Sorry mate, I misunderstood your original request.

Lets see if we got it right for you now.
Thanks Nev I wasn't too fussed about it to be honest but it should make it easier for other now to find it.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #199
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
And?????
Well I don't know what's happened there as there is a whole heap missing.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #200
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
How is it going Brendan? was briefly in Melbourne last week. Flew over for a funeral in Yackandandah. (90 yr old aunt)
I see another Chiang chair amongst the inmates.
Any good mods?
Called in at Antique tyres to see what they have for 17 inch rims.
I may get one of their 550-17's to trial though a bit pricey
Steering changes to yours?
Pictures?
cheers Bruce.
G'day Bruce all is going well with the chair no nasty suprises as of late and hope to keep it that way .
Sorry to hear about the Aunt. She certainly had a good innings. At the rate I ride I'll be lucky to live to be half her age.
Yeah Derek took possession of one of them Changy chairs.
Bruce the trail reducer plates were fitted by Phil before I took back possession of the bike. Certainly made a difference to the amount of effort required to steer the biatch. A leading link is in the pipeline sometime soon hopefully this will overcome a couple of issues the current arrangement is having.
Me and Phil have been toying with the idea of converting the leading swinging arm on the chair to a trailing arm setup which should give me a better range of adjustability and shocker options. It seems to work ok with the current setup but I'm not 100% happy with it.

Brendan J screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 04:17 AM
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #201
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Ok back on with this show !!!!

Unfortunately for some unknown reason the last major post I put up about the build history has only half come through.

I went out and bought some elcheapo driving lights to fit to the chairs newly fitted nudge bar. I was having some fun and games in finding some appropriate fittings to mount the lights due to the diametre of the pipe used. Eventually I found some Easton handlebar clamps that were almost spot on to use. Sorry I don't have any close up photos of these.
But here is a photo of what the lights look like mounted.

Anyway I procured a screen of my good friends boat as a possible new screen to use on the chair.

Anyway sometime after this photo was taken I had a small little mishap at work coming back from lunch. I had been wondering for some time what would happen if I ever put something solid between the chair and bike with a little speed up. Well I found out the hard way..
I somehow managed to put a 6inch steel fence post in that wide gap between the chair and bike resulting in some not very nice and expensive damage.

Lets just say some very large and loud profane words were said immediatley after it happened. I had managed to rip out the bottom locating lug in the radiator rendering the bike unrideable.

Some very hastily phone calls were made to try and get the bike back on the road. Thanks must go to Jim at Dyno Engines for welding up the radiator at short notice and to my boss for lending me a bike to get the radiator fixed, even though he seem more concerned for the damage to the fence I caused. Thanks also goes to Phil and Clancy for there help in helping to fix the damage over the subsequent days following the mishap. But I must say this is not the last time they get rounded up to help me out. The best is yet to come. folks so stay tuned.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #202
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Oops again

Nothing ventured nothing gained..... er or lost as in this case.
Backed into a corolla a month or so ago and was so glad I was in the work truck . Crunchie Corolla!
The poor girl driving got right close as I was backing into a driveway.
Like the stickers say if you cant see the mirrors.........worst part was a weeping female Meh!
Good thing you were able to get the radiator weldedI I imagine the part number would have multiplied the cost somewhat.
I like the lower front mount is it fabricated or a modified car part?
The idea of reversing the swingarm is interesting.
I have in mind to extend the original a little and fit a shock mount at the same place and at the same time straighten the wheel a little closer to verticle.
Oh and fit roller bearing in place of the torsion bar and plain steel bushes.
Then it would need a sway bar I suppose.The list goes on.
Might go ot to work on it now.
Cheers, Bruce
Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #203
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

An even bigger OOPS !!!!

G'day Bruce the radiator was going to cost me about $450 + and to top it off Yam Aust didn't have one at the time.

Anyway time again for a bit more of an update to the continuing saga that is the evolution build of this outfit.
Well I'm one for always pushing things to limits till something breaks or goes wrong and for me it's usually at a bad or inconvenient time.
Well the next little instalment was no different. One wet Sunday I decided to go down the local shopping centre/mall for a bit of a perv and check out a few other things at the shops. On the way down there the traffic was a bit banked up due to our local so called drivers not being able to handle wet roads. A couple of cars in front of me decided to shoot down a side street, so I thought these twats must of knew where they were going. Well as it turned out they didn't. As it turned out it was a dead end street. Well the car in front of me decided to go down to the end of the street to do a U-turn and meen while I had another car coming up behind me. So I thought I would do a quick RH U-turn by turning quickly and locking the rear wheel as the same time. Well to my suprise the damned thing dug the car nose into the road and flicked me off and rolled the outfit completely upside down. Luckily I got thrown clear of the whole bike but landed heavily and popped out a rib in the process. Thankfully one of the car drivers stopped and gave me a hand to roll the whole thing back onto 3 wheels. I must say that I did feel more than just a little embarassed by the whole debarkle and thanked him for his help. I then quickly straightened a couple of small things out and made a beeline for home.

After I got back home, I assessed the damage and straightened and fair more other things out including my pride. Which had just taken a huge beating to say the least.

I must add that only a hand full of weeks prior to this happening I had Phyllis make up and fit a new chair fender bracket in which the old one had given up the ghost. This bracket did not give an inch in the roll over and in fact transferred all the load into the chair body spring mount and bent it. I must it was a good test of how good Phil makes stuff.

Also a big thankyou to Clancy for doing most of the work in straightening out the chair damage. I don't know what I would do without these two guys.

Brendan J screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 01:13 AM
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #204
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
Wow ,you have been in the wars with your sidecar.

Time to slow down and smell the roses a bit i think .

Good to hear you have come out ok .

Chers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #205
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,885
Good to hear you're okay Brendan.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #206
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
Wow ,you have been in the wars with your sidecar.

Time to slow down and smell the roses a bit i think .

Good to hear you have come out ok .

Chers Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Good to hear you're okay Brendan.
G'day Ian & Dave this happened at about 15kph so I wasn't going quick exactly, but this also happened months and months ago. I am only just catching up now on updating on the build story. And yes I have learned my lesson.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #207
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Current?

Brendan how are you and the rig now? Pics? Choose the better profile of course. ......Do you have one?....
Cheers, Bruce.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #208
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,885
See you at Dargo Brendan?

A few of us are heading down Friday morning, you're more than welcome to tag along.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #209
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Eh? Thanks Brendan

Actually I am glad you shared the accident details with us Brendan.
It just goes to show how easy it is for everything to go sour a situation easily arrived at by anybody.
We should let it be a warning for the rest of us to have respect for the machines we pilot.
I took mine out for a spin today and it is more fun than a barrel of monkey's but they really are diabolical in many ways.
The tall adventure style bikes make them that much more unstable when turning.
Or is just that your beast needs training wheels?
Cheers, Bruce.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:44 AM   #210
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Brendan how are you and the rig now? Pics? Choose the better profile of course. ......Do you have one?....
Cheers, Bruce.
Bruce most of the damage on the bike has been repaired just need to replace the screen has it has a crease mark and scratches all over it. Most of the chair damage has been repaired or tidied up. I will post up picks of its current condition sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
See you at Dargo Brendan?

A few of us are heading down Friday morning, you're more than welcome to tag along.
G'day Dave I probably won't be going to Dargo as I'm only working 3 days a week and thats not quite enough to keep my head above water.

Quote:
Actually I am glad you shared the accident details with us Brendan.
It just goes to show how easy it is for everything to go sour a situation easily arrived at by anybody.
We should let it be a warning for the rest of us to have respect for the machines we pilot.
I took mine out for a spin today and it is more fun than a barrel of monkey's but they really are diabolical in many ways.
The tall adventure style bikes make them that much more unstable when turning.
Or is just that your beast needs training wheels?
Cheers, Bruce.
Bruce LOL !!!!