User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #226
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Brendan,

I'm so sorry to hear this. Heal quickly.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #227
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 170
Brendan,

How's the healing going, ribs any better?

I must have missed this thread until today. Looks like you got hit on the right side. How did your leg make out?

I had a similar accident back in 2000 but as my sidecar is mounted on the right and I got hit on the right the sidecar took the abuse from the Iszuz. The one good thing is it was my "Rat Outfit" not something nice like yours. I was able to stick a new swing arm and wheel on the sidecar and replace a couple pieces of the mounts to the bike and I'm still using it today. The "Rat" just getting a little rattyer every year.
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #228
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;20313768
Brendan,

How's the healing going, ribs any better?

I must have missed this thread until today. Looks like you got hit on the right side. How did your leg make out?

I had a similar accident back in 2000 but as my sidecar is mounted on the right and I got hit on the right the sidecar took the abuse from the Iszuz. The one good thing is it was my "Rat Outfit" not something nice like yours. I was able to stick a new swing arm and wheel on the sidecar and replace a couple pieces of the mounts to the bike and I'm still using it today. The "Rat" just getting a little rattyer every year.
G'day all !!!! The healing is pretty much done with the ribs. kshansen I actually got hit on the left side. The driver ploughed directly into the sidecar wheel and broke it off, in turn knocking me off the bike and then the bike rolled over me and eventually pinning me under it.
Unfortunately the bike has been deemed a statutory write off by the idiot assessor from the insurance company. Even after discussing with the assessor and insurance company they were more interested in writing off the bike even though it could of been repaired quite easily. I did ask if the bike could be repaired only but they were not interested in this, even though it would have saved them close on 16 grand instead of blowing 20 grand in writing it off. I must say that a lot of frustration and stress has arisen over this accident more so from purely losing my pride and joy.
But this won't be my only outfit I'll ever have I'm currently toying with idea of what bike I will get next as a tug and mulling over the design of the next chair.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #229
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Bluhduh Glad and sad

Glad to hear you are better.. Sorry to hear the wreckers are getting your machine though.
Big Triumph?
Cheers, Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #230
CaptTeach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Brendan

I'm not sure how it works there in OZ but here the party that hit you is responsible for the bill - and unless it is the same insurance company you are pretty much in control of the outcome. If its gonna cost 16-20K to repair it then they just write the check

Good Luck - I just found this thread and it looks like a few days too late

96 Heritage Softail Classic
89 XT 600
71 CB 200 Cafe Racer
70 CL 100
63 Sporty XLCH
CaptTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #231
ErictheBiking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
But this won't be my only outfit I'll ever have I'm currently toying with idea of what bike I will get next as a tug and mulling over the design of the next chair.[/QUOTE]

Brendan, this is exactly the point I am at.
The Goldwing outfit has gone - couldn't handle rough or dirt roads without threatening to rattle all the panels off.
The KLR650/Velorex outfit will be for sale - not that good for extended highway driving.
So what could handle both conditions.
I spoke to HiHo in WA who has built a couple of leaners and he believes it would be possible to build a leaner that could be locked into a rigid conformation for extended dirt road travelling.
This is something we are going to look into further in the new year.

But what bike?
I was pretty keen on the Super Tenere until I heard about the loose spoke problems which I imagine might be even more troublesome in a sidecar application.

I would like ABS.
This rules out BMW as I live 500km from the nearest dealer and have had the experience of non-dealers refusing to service the brakes on my F650 ABS due to not having BMW computer facilities.

Suzuki Bandit 1250? How would it handle the dirt.
Suzuki GSX1400? No ABS but a good solid bike. No longer produced and not sold in the USA so limited accessories available.

New Triumph 1200 Explorer? Limited dealer network.

Maybe I'll wait for the new DL1000 Vstrom which apparently will have ABS.

I hope you keep us updated on your next build. I have enjoyed folowing your adventures.
ErictheBiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #232
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTeach View Post
Brendan

I'm not sure how it works there in OZ but here the party that hit you is responsible for the bill - and unless it is the same insurance company you are pretty much in control of the outcome. If its gonna cost 16-20K to repair it then they just write the check

Good Luck - I just found this thread and it looks like a few days too late
G'day Capt its pretty much the same here in Oz. I decided to pursue the claim through my insurance company, but next time I will go through the offenders insurance company. There was about $4-4500 worth of damage on my bike but the insurance companies here are more than happy to write stuff off rather than repair it, which is becoming a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErictheBiking View Post
But this won't be my only outfit I'll ever have I'm currently toying with idea of what bike I will get next as a tug and mulling over the design of the next chair.
Brendan, this is exactly the point I am at.
The Goldwing outfit has gone - couldn't handle rough or dirt roads without threatening to rattle all the panels off.
The KLR650/Velorex outfit will be for sale - not that good for extended highway driving.
So what could handle both conditions.
I spoke to HiHo in WA who has built a couple of leaners and he believes it would be possible to build a leaner that could be locked into a rigid conformation for extended dirt road travelling.
This is something we are going to look into further in the new year.

But what bike?
I was pretty keen on the Super Tenere until I heard about the loose spoke problems which I imagine might be even more troublesome in a sidecar application. Don't worry about the spokes keep an eye on the tension and they should be ok. Heavier duty spokes are available if it becomes a problem.

I would like ABS.
This rules out BMW as I live 500km from the nearest dealer and have had the experience of non-dealers refusing to service the brakes on my F650 ABS due to not having BMW computer facilities. Pfft every man and his dingo has a beemer thats why i went with the Yammie.

Suzuki Bandit 1250? How would it handle the dirt.
Suzuki GSX1400? No ABS but a good solid bike. No longer produced and not sold in the USA so limited accessories available. We a few people over here running the 1200 & 1400 with chairs in the dirt with no problems encounted ( fill free guys to disprove me if I'm wrong). I'm looking at the 1200/1250/1400 route myself .

New Triumph 1200 Explorer? Limited dealer network. Will be interesting to see how the Trumpy diff holds up over the long term as its their first diff.

Maybe I'll wait for the new DL1000 Vstrom which apparently will have ABS.

I hope you keep us updated on your next build. I have enjoyed folowing your adventures.[/QUOTE] I will do !!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #233
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Glad to hear you are better.. Sorry to hear the wreckers are getting your machine though.
Big Triumph?
Cheers, Bruce
Thanks mate, be screwed if I'd by a Trumpy its fuggin ugly and I'd buy another Super Ten or a Beemer or Guzzi NTX1200 before a Trumpy.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #234
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,857
Personally, I can highly recommend the 1000 V Strom for an outfit.
Mine has been brilliant.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #235
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Unfortunately the bike has been deemed a statutory write off by the idiot assessor from the insurance company. Even after discussing with the assessor and insurance company they were more interested in writing off the bike even though it could of been repaired quite easily. I did ask if the bike could be repaired only but they were not interested in this, even though it would have saved them close on 16 grand instead of blowing 20 grand in writing it off.
I'm sure insurance rules are different country to country but here in the U.S., if the insurance company decides the bike can't be repaired, it pays you the full market value of the bike (which you can argue about how much that is) and they get full title to the bike which they then sell off to the breakers for however much they can. But usually they will be interested in selling the bike back to you if you want it. This saves them time and trouble. They usually just want you to match the highest offer from the breakers.

I did this once on a 2003 V-Strom I destroyed. The paid me $6000 for it. I told them I wanted to keep the carcass. They went out and got bids then came to me a week later and said I could have it for $600. I said OK. So they sent me a check for $5400 (minus my $250 deductible) but basically I got the bike back for $600. In my case, the bike was pretty much not worth fixing, but I broke it down myself and sold the parts online for close to $3500. With the $2900 profit I made on the parts and the $5150 cash settlement I'd made on the bike, I had enough money to go buy a nice 2007 Moto Guzzi Norge.

My point being that you should ask the insurance company if they'll sell the bike back to you.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #236
ErictheBiking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
So Brendan

Any particular reason you are considering other bikes instead of going straight for another Super Tenere?
ErictheBiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #237
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Eric no particular reason than secondhand ones still have a price premium on them where as I can pick up a 1200/1250/1400 for quarter to half the price of a secondhand Super Ten. I also have a few other debts hanging over my head that I would love to get rid of first. Plus I'm trying to plan a trip to the USA for next year for a month.

Drone its pretty much the same way things work here.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #238
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Personally, I can highly recommend the 1000 V Strom for an outfit.
Mine has been brilliant.
+1 on Dave's comments.

The 1000 VStrom works well for me for many reasons.
Chain drive makes it easy and affordable to change the gearing.
Oodles of power.
Lose the right side exhaust, make a 2 into 1 out the left side, install a quality slip on pipe. This will shed 17-20 pounds, give you better low end, give you more room to attach a rig, and reduce heat and noise for your passengers.
Lose the luggage rack and a couple other useless dodads and your down nearly 40 pounds.

They can be had with low miles for cheap.
I am curious about the comments above regarding ABS. First, I wonder if an ABS system will work properly with a car attached. Secondly, I often slide the rear end on purpose, tarmac and dirt. ABS systems take a lot of power, space, and add a crapload of complexity to a motorcycle. There's also the abs 'sprockets' on the wheels which might limit wheel choices and front end modifications.
I'm convinced that one of the reasons my VStrom handles so well is it is not high off the ground. I would love to have more ground clearance under the bike, however I believe that can be a double edge sword. If you raise the bike for more ground clearance, it raises the CG, and makes other issues more tricky to deal with. Personally, I've found the clearance to only have been an issue a couple of times when I high centered the rig.

No regrets on the V Strom.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #239
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Thanks mate, be screwed if I'd by a Trumpy its fuggin ugly and I'd buy another Super Ten or a Beemer or Guzzi NTX1200 before a Trumpy.

Oi!

Thems FIGHTING words.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #240
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Oi!

Thems FIGHTING words.