Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 847
Well, there is a wreck out there somewhere(NSW). Mine got total lossed by the ins co in January. I'd expect it's gone through Pickles auctions by now.

Statutory write-off though.

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie View Post
if one came up as a wreck I wouldn't hesitate to put a chair on it. One can always get around those issues.

At Silverwater wreckers they have a 1600 triumph. sent my head spinning with ideas.....trouble is ideas cost money...

Back to the Ural.

Wait a Ural with a 1600 parrallel twin hmmmmmmmmmmm
prolly turn the final drive into a pretzil.

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,530
Well I took posession of the Super Ten today its super smooth compared to what I have been riding and could be a licence loser to boot so I will have a keep a steady right hand. At a first good look at it, it looks like its gunna be a bit of a nightmare to make a subframe, so some professional help is going to be needed.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #18
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Well sorry for the slow updates on here. I have been searching for a good donor chair for the project. Well I think I may have found something at a good price ? A customer of mine from the shop where I work has a complete Changy chair for sale. Its quite an attractive price but I'm a bit concerned that the front lower mount may not be suitable and the tub is leaf spring suspended. It looks like may have some sort of rubber in torsion suspension for the chassis?
My concern is that I what to use this for offroad use will it be suitable??
The price I can get it for makes it a bargin but I don't want to be buying something that wont meet my needs.
I can get this whole setup for $500 AUD

Brendan J screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 01:05 AM
Old 04-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
Sparrowhawkdesign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
Does yours have a centre stand Norwest?
I left mine on but it would be a lot simpler without. Will be watching.

Cheers Bruce
Actually Vstrom subframes are easy. We do a lot of them. One thing people don't think of when they install a sidecar is that they have a better option than a center stand. Get yourself a small scissor jack from the scrapper. That will allow you to lift any of the three wheels and actually high enough to make tire changing easy. It can also be used in some circumstances to help free your bike when you get it stuck but that's another story.

General Manager, designer, installer, test rider, problem solver. Generally whatever needs doing.
37 YEARS PLAYING WITH SIDECARS

Myths and misinformation are more seductive than the truth.
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #20
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawkdesign View Post
Actually Vstrom subframes are easy. We do a lot of them. One thing people don't think of when they install a sidecar is that they have a better option than a center stand. Get yourself a small scissor jack from the scrapper. That will allow you to lift any of the three wheels and actually high enough to make tire changing easy. It can also be used in some circumstances to help free your bike when you get it stuck but that's another story.

????
Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #21
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Chang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
????
Looks like my comment led to a bit of thread Hijacking, Sorry.
That Chang sidecar looks familiar............ Oh thats right I have 5 of the suckers in my shed.
The front lower mount on these is the fixed mount with the other 3 being adjustable. So you would need a subframe if you could not attach it under the engine.
My Weestrom build is getting close to the assemble stage. (just painted the connecting bits) So should be able to comment on ride and stuff soon.
The torsion bar suspension seems to have very little travel but the leaf springs assure the monkey of a good ride.
Minimal travel would make the rig stable on good roads but probably transfer more shock to the bike in rough going.
I see the chair swing arm could be rotated around the spline of the torsion bar to give more travel and ground clearance though a longer torsion bar would most likely be required to make that work.
I may see a spring maker about this.
At $500 you could buy it just for the body but with a welder and a 5"grinder adjustment is possible.
Another thought with the suspension is to throw the torsion bar and mount a normal swing arm and shock absorber set up.
Might try some of these ideas myself after I get mine over the pits for licensing stuff.
Cheers Bruce
brstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #22
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

G'day Bruce I was thinking the same thing about changing the suspension setup as it looks a bit too short for my liking. My other concern was the lower front mount possibly being wrong, I could always take to it with a grinder and welder like you said. I was really after a Ural chassis and tub but as you know these are as rare as rocking horse shite here in Australia. I was thinking that a Changy chassis was my next option.
Does anybody know how thick the chassis steel is on a Changy compared to a Ural ?
In all interest I was going to turn it into a convertible sidecar, have a passenger tub, a cargo setup or even some sort of fold out camper/tent arrangement. I believe this should be possible with the Changy or Ural chassis ( please feel free to tell me otherwise ).
My biggest concern at the moment is getting a subframe made to be able to mount it to the bike. This will be the interesting part of all as I'm sure there are a few people waiting to see this, me including.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #23
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Subframe.

(My biggest concern at the moment is getting a subframe made to be able to mount it to the bike.)

I had to look and keep looking and thinking for ages as to how to make the subframe. Then I just sort of made it up as I went along.
But I do work with metal for a living. Bunnings hardware here had a complete welder outfit for $200 here in Perth the other day and a 5"grinder for $109. So easy to give it a go?
Dont know how thick the steel frame is but its a military design and seems chunky enough. Perhaps if I went out for a look? Nah to hard. Later.
Cheers Bruce
Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #24
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Bruce I will more than likely get Phill Duffy from over here in Vic to do the subframe and connect the chair. He has come highly recommend by a few of the inmates on here. I don't mind paying good money for high quality work and unfortunately I don't really trust my welding skills enough to make up a good subframe.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #25
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Sub frame

Yes getting it right the 1st time would be a major bonus. Good money has already been spent.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #26
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Had a good chat with Phil Duffy via the phone tonight about slipping a chair onto the bike, he seems very interested in the project. I hope to catch up with him over the coming weeks and discuss the project some more and hopefully work out if its going to be an easy job. Either way if its not I still want it done.

If your reading this Phil thanks for the good chat.

Unfortunately the bike is sitting at Force Accessories for prototyping for a new bash plate. I hope to have the girl back this weekend as I'm really missing it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #27
beys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbiker View Post
I think till today no single of the big Tenere has been modified in Germany.
There is minimum one in the AIA. check the pics of TT 2009!

greets
beys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #28
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Had a good chat with Phil Duffy via the phone tonight about slipping a chair onto the bike, he seems very interested in the project. I hope to catch up with him over the coming weeks and discuss the project some more and hopefully work out if its going to be an easy job. Either way if its not I still want it done.

If your reading this Phil thanks for the good chat.

Unfortunately the bike is sitting at Force Accessories for prototyping for a new bash plate. I hope to have the girl back this weekend as I'm really missing it.

Brendan, will you stop farting around and get it up to Phil'sI'm dying to see what this come out like.
Might have been a good idea to leave the bash plate 'til after the subframe is made though.
Welcome to the dark side. You won't regret it And don't listen to 3legs. He talks a lot of shit
Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #29
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,088
I heard that Neil.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #30
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Hey Alex, if the old boy gives you too much grief ask him if he is doing the Scrapheap Challenge.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote