ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #136
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 321
Shameless rip-off of Spud's good work

Hey Guys,

No use in pretending--I simply followed Spud Rider's advice, and performed the battery lobotomy today.

The Shorai battery folks are real good to include various thicknesses and sizes of foam; two pieces made for a perfect bed for the battery. The wires in the larger boot seemed too exposed to me; just to be sure I gave it a good coating of electrician's tape. I zip-tied the CDI in the air box intake, with a hole in the top of the box.



The negative terminal cable is far too long for this application. Again, I took Spud Rider's advice, and simply wound it around itself, and then fed it under the frame. I also placed the starter relay & fuse inside the air box. (I don't remember whose idea it was, but I will have to increase the airflow into the air box by opening some holes on the side.)



Finally, I left the fuse box in the dead space between the frame and the starboard side cover. I tried and tried, but could not make the starter relay fit in this space, so she went inside the house.



The battery fits quite nicely in this space, atop the air box. I don't think that I will need any type of tie down device. My only concerns now is the airflow into the air box, and future wiring needs (access is not very good).

Thank you all for the previous work--you saved me a lot of trouble.

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #137
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey Guys,

No use in pretending--I simply followed Spud Rider's advice, and performed the battery lobotomy today.

Finally, I left the fuse box in the dead space between the frame and the starboard side cover. I tried and tried, but could not make the starter relay fit in this space, so she went inside the house...

Thank you all for the previous work--you saved me a lot of trouble.

PD
You're welcome, PD. I didn't want to drill any holes in my air box, so I was careful not to plug the opening on top of it. The starter relay will fit on top of the airbox if your remove the terminals, and reorient them before you re-attach them. I can't remember exactly what I did, but if you play around a bit with the terminals you will figure it out.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #138
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome, PD. I didn't want to drill any holes in my air box, so I was careful not to plug the opening on top of it. The starter relay will fit on top of the airbox if your remove the terminals, and reorient them before you re-attach them. I can't remember exactly what I did, but if you play around a bit with the terminals you will figure it out.

Spud
Aha! Now I get what you did on the Starter Relay--you must have removed those hard metal connectors. Your relay box is definitely smaller than stock; now I see how you did this. Darn it, it's past my bedtime. Will have to wait for the next weekend...

Thanks again, Spud.
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #139
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Aha! Now I get what you did on the Starter Relay--you must have removed those hard metal connectors. Your relay box is definitely smaller than stock; now I see how you did this. Darn it, it's past my bedtime. Will have to wait for the next weekend...

Thanks again, Spud.
Yes, I removed the metal connectors for the starter relay and trimmed one, or both, a little bit with my Dremel tool. Then I reattached the connectors so I could place the starter relay in the position, and the orientation I preferred on top of the airbox.

Play with the connectors a little bit, and you can mount the starter relay on top of the airbox. In this manner you will not inhibit airflow into the airbox, and you won't need to drill additional holes in the airbox. I don't believe in messing with the airbox for CV carburetors.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #140
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,581
I still don't know how the heck air is getting into your airboxes with the batt there, airflow from the front is the main path once you put the seat on.

Obviously, though, it's working.

I drilled some holes in the side frames and the front web on the bottom of the seat and picked up a small amount of top-end.

Dave
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #141
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I still don't know how the heck air is getting into your airboxes with the batt there, airflow from the front is the main path once you put the seat on.

Obviously, though, it's working.

I drilled some holes in the side frames and the front web on the bottom of the seat and picked up a small amount of top-end.

Dave
I'm getting lots of air into the carburetor, Dave. The main airflow into the carburetor comes over the top, right side of the airbox, outside the saddle. In stock form the front of the airbox is blocked off by the transverse strut on top of the saddle, and the wiring on top of the airbox. My carburetor is getting the same amount of air as anyone who has removed the airbox snorkle. I hear a good rumble from air entering the airbox in all gears, at all speeds.

Of course, if one wants even more air, he can drill holes in the plastic rails on the side of the saddle, as you have done.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #142
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 124
Spud,
Nice job. Since these lithium batteries have come out it has made it much easier to relocate. I was content just to loose the weight of the battery. Built another interior battery bracket out of aluminum to lose more weight, then used the extra space to carry a spare oiled air filter.

Why not lose the stock exhaust?
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #143
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr650l bum View Post
Spud,
Nice job. Since these lithium batteries have come out it has made it much easier to relocate. I was content just to loose the weight of the battery. Built another interior battery bracket out of aluminum to lose more weight, then used the extra space to carry a spare oiled air filter.

Why not lose the stock exhaust?
I like the quiet operation and low maintenance of the stock muffler, so I decided to keep it. The stock muffler doesn't weight much; you would only drop about 2 pounds from the bike by switching to an aftermarket muffler , which costs much more than a Shorai battery.

My bike makes more than enough power to suit me, so I don't care to spend money for an aftermarket exhaust. However, if someone wants a little more power and a little more bling, I don't blame him for installing an aftermarket muffler. However, he isn't going to make the bike much lighter with an aftermarket muffler.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #144
guinnessextreme
Adventurer
 
guinnessextreme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Oddometer: 55
about a year ago, I purchased a shorai battery, already had the relo done under the seat with a gel battery. Did a bit of wiring refinement and the shorai worked great. May 21 last year, went down HARD in the sand whoops of the Pine Barrens. Wound up spending 4 days in the hospital... broken rib and punctured lung. Ended up with a blood clot till October.

Fast forward to now. Up to about a week ago, I havent touched the bike since last year. Turned it on once in a while to see if the headlight would work (it did). Did a bit of work in the past week getting the bike ready. Roll it out of the garage today ( I have done NOTHING to the battery in almost a year). I was a bit afraid to even hit the starter... turns over, started on the 3rd try... AFTER A YEAR OF SITTING!!! I am amazed, and quite happy
__________________
Who is John Galt?
guinnessextreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #145
Cumbacheech
XRated
 
Cumbacheech's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Bolton, ON
Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Of course, if one wants even more air, he can drill holes in the plastic rails on the side of the saddle, as you have done.

Spud
Pics???
__________________
2001 XR650L - Done for now...!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #146
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post
about a year ago, I purchased a shorai battery, already had the relo done under the seat with a gel battery. Did a bit of wiring refinement and the shorai worked great. May 21 last year, went down HARD in the sand whoops of the Pine Barrens. Wound up spending 4 days in the hospital... broken rib and punctured lung. Ended up with a blood clot till October.

Fast forward to now. Up to about a week ago, I havent touched the bike since last year. Turned it on once in a while to see if the headlight would work (it did). Did a bit of work in the past week getting the bike ready. Roll it out of the garage today ( I have done NOTHING to the battery in almost a year). I was a bit afraid to even hit the starter... turns over, started on the 3rd try... AFTER A YEAR OF SITTING!!! I am amazed, and quite happy
Thanks for the report on the durability of your Shorai battery, Guiness. I'm glad you are back in the saddle!

The Shorai batteries are excellent. My Shorai battery relocation is still working superbly after 20,000 miles or riding. I can recommend the Shorai batteries without any reservations, whatsoever.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #147
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Pics???
Dave has drilled holes in the longitudinal, plastic rails under the saddle, CC. Several of the areas which Dave drills are shown inside the green circles in the photograph below.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #148
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Dave has drilled holes in the longitudinal, plastic rails under the saddle, CC. Several of the areas which Dave drills are shown inside the green circles in the photograph below.



Spud
Hey, Cumbacheech,

It is not my place to disagree with Mr. Spud, but I didn't have to drill out the sides of the saddle frame bottom (the smaller green circles in Spud's photograph). I did take off the horizontal rib, just as Spud advised. It all works just fine.

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #149
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post
about a year ago, I purchased a shorai battery, already had the relo done under the seat with a gel battery. Did a bit of wiring refinement and the shorai worked great. May 21 last year, went down HARD in the sand whoops of the Pine Barrens. Wound up spending 4 days in the hospital... broken rib and punctured lung. Ended up with a blood clot till October.

Fast forward to now. Up to about a week ago, I havent touched the bike since last year. Turned it on once in a while to see if the headlight would work (it did). Did a bit of work in the past week getting the bike ready. Roll it out of the garage today ( I have done NOTHING to the battery in almost a year). I was a bit afraid to even hit the starter... turns over, started on the 3rd try... AFTER A YEAR OF SITTING!!! I am amazed, and quite happy
Hey, Guiness Extreme (was Saturday fun for you?),

Who cares about the battery--we are just happy that you survived the blood clot, the punctured lung, the rehabilitation. Welcome back.

And, yes, it is amazing that your battery still works. Clearly, somebody approves of your riding.

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #150
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Cumbacheech,

It is not my place to disagree with Mr. Spud, but I didn't have to drill out the sides of the saddle frame bottom (the smaller green circles in Spud's photograph). I did take off the horizontal rib, just as Spud advised. It all works just fine.

PD
You misunderstand, PD. I'm not saying its necessary to drill the holes in the longitudinal ribs of the saddle. I'm not even recommending for someone to drill the holes in the longitudinal ribs of the saddle. I'm merely answering CC's question regarding Dave's method of providing more air to the carburetor, without drilling holes in the air box.

I didn't drill any holes in the longitudinal ribs of my saddle, and I don't plan to do so. I think my carburetor gets enough air without the additional holes.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014