Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #151
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Cumbacheech,

It is not my place to disagree with Mr. Spud, but I didn't have to drill out the sides of the saddle frame bottom (the smaller green circles in Spud's photograph). I did take off the horizontal rib, just as Spud advised. It all works just fine.

PD
Thanks guys!! I will try to remove just the horizontal rib and see how it goes. I just ordered my battery the other day so I am getting ready to do this mod soon. Can't wait!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #152
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,695
The holes are worth a wee bit of top end.

Just a bit.

Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #153
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Thanks guys!! I will try to remove just the horizontal rib and see how it goes. I just ordered my battery the other day so I am getting ready to do this mod soon. Can't wait!!
Please keep us updated regarding your progress, CC. You are going to love the Shorai battery. I encourage you to follow your instincts, and just remove the transverse rib in the front of the saddle. I'm confident your bike will breath well without additional holes. However, if you decide you want an additional, "wee bit of top end," you can always drill holes in the longitudinal ribs of the saddle later.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #154
Cumbacheech
XRated

Just picked up my battery from the post office... Holy smokes this thing is tiny!!! Can't wait to start this project...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #155
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just picked up my battery from the post office... Holy smokes this thing is tiny!!! Can't wait to start this project...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
You thought they shipped you an empty box, didn't you? You're going to love your Shorai battery, CC.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #156
Cumbacheech
XRated

OK so I spend the last few hours messing around on the battery relocation...
Seat... done!!
top of airbox ... done!!
battery & box removal... done!!
cleaned up some wire... done!!
So now I want to look at the CDI and other bits.... Spud you did a kick ass job, but I am still not sure if I want to put the CDI in the airbox so I started to play around... I think I figured out how I want it but I am not sure if this is a good idea so I am looking for some feedback... (see pics below)

With it set up like this the side panel fits on nicely, CDI not in Airbox and fuse box on top.

PS i will zip tie the CDI to the frame rail so it is secured.

I welcome all comments...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #157
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

It probably won't surprise you, but I prefer my placement of the CDI unit inside the air box, CC. I think the CDI is more protected in that location. Also, the air flows into the carburetor from the right side of the air box. I think the fuse box and ignition coil are blocking air flow where you have them located.

However, the important thing is whether or not you like the placement of the components. If you're happy, that's all that matters. However, I can testify that I haven't had any problems with the placement of my electrical components in over 20,000 miles. Also, my engine gets lots of unobstructed air.

Spud
Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #158
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
OK so I spend the last few hours messing around on the battery relocation...
Seat... done!!
top of airbox ... done!!
battery & box removal... done!!
cleaned up some wire... done!!
So now I want to look at the CDI and other bits.... Spud you did a kick ass job, but I am still not sure if I want to put the CDI in the airbox so I started to play around... I think I figured out how I want it but I am not sure if this is a good idea so I am looking for some feedback... (see pics below)

With it set up like this the side panel fits on nicely, CDI not in Airbox and fuse box on top.

PS i will zip tie the CDI to the frame rail so it is secured.

I welcome all comments...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
Hey, Cumbacheech,

Good work on a Saturday afternoon (shouldn't you be out riding instead...?). Just one question: If you put the CDI on the aft shelf of the air box (starboard side), what is the likelihood of dust/mud blowback from the wheel well?

Given that the CDI causes so much grief, it is nice to keep it firmly attached (zipped in at all). I agree with Spud--if you like it, then it should be that way. Let us all know what you do.

PD
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #159
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
It probably won't surprise you, but I prefer my placement of the CDI unit inside the air box, CC. I think the CDI is more protected in that location. Also, the air flows into the carburetor from the right side of the air box. I think the fuse box and ignition coil are blocking air flow where you have them located.

However, the important thing is whether or not you like the placement of the components. If you're happy, that's all that matters. However, I can testify that I haven't had any problems with the placement of my electrical components in over 20,000 miles. Also, my engine gets lots of unobstructed air.

Spud
I forgot all about the breathing and the conversation we had about drilling the side ribs for more top end... I'll be ok.. So I ended up putting the CDI in the airbox, took the bike out for a quick spin and it seemed to work good. How did you attach the starter relay? Just industrial grade velcro?

I used the industrial grade velcro to attach the CDI to air box but i think I will throw a quick zip tie to make sure it doesn't move.

So all in all I am very happy. All I have left is to install the new side panels . Thanks for the instructions it helped big time.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #160
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Cumbacheech,

Good work on a Saturday afternoon (shouldn't you be out riding instead...?). Just one question: If you put the CDI on the aft shelf of the air box (starboard side), what is the likelihood of dust/mud blowback from the wheel well?

Given that the CDI causes so much grief, it is nice to keep it firmly attached (zipped in at all). I agree with Spud--if you like it, then it should be that way. Let us all know what you do.

PD

You are absolutly correct that I should be riding instead.... The reason why I wanted to put the CDI on the shelf was because I saw it on a KTM and I thought it was a good idea.
So after all was said and done I ended up doing the install ala-Spud. Very happy with the end result, just couple more things to do and it will be all done.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #161
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
I was thinking about doing this and then using the extra space in the battery compartment for extra tools.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #162
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
I was thinking about doing this and then using the extra space in the battery compartment for extra tools.
That is what I will be doing when I go on some over night trips. It will now be part of the luggage system... 2 bolts and put back the XRL side panel.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #163
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
I forgot all about the breathing and the conversation we had about drilling the side ribs for more top end... I'll be ok.. So I ended up putting the CDI in the airbox, took the bike out for a quick spin and it seemed to work good. How did you attach the starter relay? Just industrial grade velcro?

I used the industrial grade velcro to attach the CDI to air box but i think I will throw a quick zip tie to make sure it doesn't move.

So all in all I am very happy. All I have left is to install the new side panels . Thanks for the instructions it helped big time.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
Hey, Cumbacheech,

When you get a chance, please take some pictures for us--especially your mounting method for the CDI within the air box. I also use a combination of Velcro and Zip Tie. I installed a conduit clamp inside the air box, held to the wall of the air box with a bolt and rubber washer. I wonder if there isn't a better method.

I really like Spud's battery relocation idea. My only concerns right now are with the Zip Tie, and also the fact that my Uni air filter is within 1/2" of the CDI--I don't want that pink sticky fluid on the CDI...

In the case of the relay, because the two terminal cables (one from the negative ground, the other going directly to the positive post on the battery) are so stiff, the starter relay just sits tightly on the air box shoulder--no need for Velcro or any other tie down device.

PD
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #164
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
You're welcome, CC. I must admit, I merely placed the starter relay on top of the air box without fastening it. After 20,000 miles of riding, it's still in great shape. However, I am going to add some velcro to both my CDI unit and my starter relay in the near future.

Spud
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #165
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That is what I will be doing when I go on some over night trips. It will now be part of the luggage system... 2 bolts and put back the XRL side panel.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
I hadn't thought of that! That's a great idea, CC!

Spud