Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #31
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery is working great; it cranks the engine hard, and my XR650L starts easily. Several days ago I installed an XR600R, left side cover.

I now consider my Shorai battery relocation to be complete.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #32
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,313

but hey, dontcha think it looks a little skinny now?

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #33
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

but hey, dontcha think it looks a little skinny now?

I guess you could say I performed "liposuction" on the left "cheek" of the bike, Ono!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #34
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourPros View Post
Me likey likey
Thank you, TourPros.

I am very pleased with the results from my Shorai battery relocation. I have not had a single problem so far, and I can heartily recommend this modification without reservation.

Spud
Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #35
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

What in the heck has been walking all around in that field in the snow behind the bike? It's not fenced in for livestock...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #36
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
What in the heck has been walking all around in that field in the snow behind the bike? It's not fenced in for livestock...

Cute lil' Thumper Bunnies... Ghees Whaddya new???
Just playin'
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's hard to tell, Ono. I think Wattner is probably correct with his bunny rabbit theory, but the tracks could belong to other animals. I frequently see moose, elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, and a multitude of small game everywhere I ride in Idaho.

Spud
Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #38
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
It's hard to tell, Ono. I think Wattner is probably correct with his bunny rabbit theory, but the tracks could belong to other animals. ...
Must be just me... when I saw those tracks, I realized what a large quantity and variety there were, and they seem to wander about aimlessly, some even appearing to stop in mid-track. I'd say judging by the size, mosta the ones we see in the shot were from the fox-coyote-dog-wolf genre, with some deer-elk type thrown in, and who know what those big straight ones on the left are; looks like a person with very close steps walked in there and then got abducted by aliens
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #39
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...and who know what those big straight ones on the left are; looks like a person with very close steps walked in there and then got abducted by aliens

Perhaps I should keep my eyes on the sky, also!

Spud
Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #40
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Shorai battery continues to work great; I am very pleased with it. Instead of lengthening the wires to the fuse box, I would prefer to find a cap to cover the fuses, and leave the fuse box in its current location.

Can anyone recommend a suitable cover for the fuse box? The screw holes, and the tabs on the fuse box look like convenient points to attach a cover; if all else fails, I can certainly use zip ties to secure a cover to the fuse box. Perhaps Honda employs this fuse box, with a cover, for another motorcycle?

Spud
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #41
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Spud, I think that's the wiser solution, capping, instead of introducing potential corrosion points to the wiring. I would cap it to prevent splashing or dripping from getting in but able to let some air across. Keep your eyes open and you'll spot something that'll work.

The area in which you live and ride reminds me of Canada!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #42
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Instead of lengthening the wires to the fuse box, I would prefer to find a cap to cover the fuses, and leave the fuse box in its current location.

Can anyone recommend a suitable cover for the fuse box? The screw holes, and the tabs on the fuse box look like convenient points to attach a cover; if all else fails, I can certainly use zip ties to secure a cover to the fuse box. Perhaps Honda employs this fuse box, with a cover, for another motorcycle?

Spud
Hey Spud,

I am pretty sure that there is a cover for the fuse box you can see a little lip on it and a securing tab. Can you not just stuff the fuse box in the air box? I think that is what alot of people do when they do the battery mod.

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #43
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spud, I think that's the wiser solution, capping, instead of introducing potential corrosion points to the wiring. I would cap it to prevent splashing or dripping from getting in but able to let some air across. Keep your eyes open and you'll spot something that'll work.

The area in which you live and ride reminds me of Canada!
Thank you for your input, OnO.

I'm not surprised my photographs remind you of Canada; Idaho shares a border with British Columbia.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 06:59 PM
Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #44
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Hey Spud,

I am pretty sure that there is a cover for the fuse box you can see a little lip on it and a securing tab. Can you not just stuff the fuse box in the air box? I think that is what alot of people do when they do the battery mod.

Cumbacheech
I agree; it certainly appears the fuse box was designed to accept a lid. However, if the fuse box lid exisits, I don't know where to find it.

I can certainly lengthen the wires, and place the fuse box inside the battery box. However, I would prefer to keep things as simple, and foolproof, as possible, and merely install a cover on the fuse box. Perhaps I could place the fuse box inside a rubber boot, or a thick balloon, and secure the open end with a zip tie.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 07:12 PM
Old 03-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #45
Visigothic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
I agree; it certainly appears the fuse box was designed to accept a lid. However, if the fuse box lid exisits, I don't know where to find it.

I can certainly lengthen the wires, and place the fuse box inside the battery box. However, I would prefer to keep things as simple, and foolproof, as possible, and merely install a cover on the fuse box. Perhaps I could place the fuse box inside a rubber boot, or a thick balloon, and secure the open end with a zip tie.

Spud

Maybe this will work 110x90x25mm

or this http://www.kojaycat.com/Fuse%20boxes.htm

Visigothic screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 08:02 PM
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote