Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #106
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Which one is that?
The Shorai batteries come in two sizes, #1 and #2, Steve. I mounted the smaller, #2 size battery on top of my air box.

Dave mounted the larger, #1 size battery in his battery box.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-battery-specs.aspx

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #107
sharktaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
one thing that kinda bothers me about my Shorai battery relocation is that even though the seat goes back on without any problem, I can tell by the indentation in the pads I placed around the battery that there is quite a bit of rider weight directly on the battery.

sharktaco screwed with this post 07-23-2011 at 06:49 AM
sharktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #108
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktaco View Post
one thing that kinda bothers me about my Shorai battery relocation is that even though the seat goes back on without any problem, I can tell by the indentation in the pads I placed around the battery that there is quite a bit of rider weight directly on the battery.
Thank you for the information. If you have time, can you post some photos?

I have now ridden 10,700 miles since my Shorai battery relocation. I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery, and my XR650L, are both working great!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #109
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you for the information. If you have time, can you post some photos?

I have now ridden 10,700 miles since my Shorai battery relocation. I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery, and my XR650L, are both working great!

Spud
Hey Spud, I want to do this to my DRZ 400 and wanted to know if the Battery Tender Jr is compatible with this type of battery? Is there anything specific I need to know about these batteries regarding placement,care,servicing, stator? That is a beautiful picture. I am envious and really want to check out that riding in Idaho sometime....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #110
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Hey Spud, I want to do this to my DRZ 400 and wanted to know if the Battery Tender Jr is compatible with this type of battery? Is there anything specific I need to know about these batteries regarding placement,care,servicing, stator? That is a beautiful picture. I am envious and really want to check out that riding in Idaho sometime....
Thank you, Bob. You can learn a lot about charging the Shorai batteries, et cetera, by reading the FAQs page at the Shorai website.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

The Shorai batteries self discharge at 1/6 the rate of regular, lead-acid batteries. My battery was fully charged, and ready to install when I received it. Also, I have not needed to recharge my battery since I installed it.

Spud
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #111
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Thank you, Bob. You can learn a lot about charging the Shorai batteries, et cetera, by reading the FAQs page at the Shorai website.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

The Shorai batteries self discharge at 1/6 the rate of regular, lead-acid batteries. My battery was fully charged, and ready to install when I received it. Also, I have not needed to recharge my battery since I installed it.

Spud
Thanks for the link. I will read up on them. Now about that Idaho riding........
OK, I read all of the FAQs and my questions have been answered. The stator will charge them just fine, no tender needed, and my Battery Tender Jr from Deltran can be used however they recommend their own balancing type charger which I have found already. Thanks Again

bobbed06 screwed with this post 07-24-2011 at 06:37 PM
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #112
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I will read up on them. Now about that Idaho riding........
OK, I read all of the FAQs and my questions have been answered. The stator will charge them just fine, no tender needed, and my Battery Tender Jr from Deltran can be used however they recommend their own balancing type charger which I have found already. Thanks Again
You're welcome, Bob.

Spud
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #113
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
You're welcome, Bob.

Spud
Hey Spud, Did you order directly from the Shorai website? I prefer to go that route so I can get the best warranty and the freshest battery but when I add it to my cart it doesnt show if its in stock or not?

I need to order it from a reliable distributor that can verify it is on hand at the time of purchase.

Thanks for any time spent to reply....

Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #114
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Spud, Did you order directly from the Shorai website? I prefer to go that route so I can get the best warranty and the freshest battery but when I add it to my cart it doesnt show if its in stock or not?

I need to order it from a reliable distributor that can verify it is on hand at the time of purchase.

Thanks for any time spent to reply....
I ordered my Shorai battery from Superbike Supply.

http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/m...ry_Code=shorai

Spud
Old 07-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #115
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
I ordered my Shorai battery from Superbike Supply.

http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/m...ry_Code=shorai

Spud
I owe you a cheeseburger.....Thanks again... My bike has a YTZ10S big battery kit currently and using the biggest 210cca shorai is gonna save me 5.5 lbs over the current setup and no loss in power!!! I am excited to see how the bike feels with 5 lbs removed off the rear subframe.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #116
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
I owe you a cheeseburger.....Thanks again... My bike has a YTZ10S big battery kit currently and using the biggest 210cca shorai is gonna save me 5.5 lbs over the current setup and no loss in power!!! I am excited to see how the bike feels with 5 lbs removed off the rear subframe.

Cheeseburger.........yummmmmmmmmm..wonder how you`d ship that

B
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #117
powderider
redrider

Oddometer: 3
Question Will air box breath ok?Very

[QUOTE=Spud Rider;15357358]Yesterday I added a few more, finishing touches to my Shorai, battery relocation. I temporarily added a piece of Romex wire to serve as a battery "strap." I will figure out a more elegant solution later. I also added a small piece of "Shorai foam" to protect the bottom of the battery from the air box mount on the frame. In addition, I plan to trim/file this metal tab so it will not nick the battery box.

I also plan to add a 5mm sheet of "Shorai foam" to the top of the air box. This foam will reduce abrasion, absorb shock, and further secure the Shorai battery to the top of the air box.

Spud [/QUOTE
Very nice mod , but will the air box breath and have enough airflow?
powderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #118
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderider View Post
Very nice mod , but will the air box breath and have enough airflow?
Thank you. I have now ridden approximately 18,000 miles since my Shorai battery relocation, and it is still working superbly. I have lots of airflow into my carburetor, and my engine makes very good power after this Shorai batter relocation.

Spud
Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #119
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,710
But how?

I drilled some holes in the under-seat webs and the side 'rails' on the seat and gained a bit of breathing, so how can that not be choked off?

I've seen stranger, though.

Dave
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #120
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
But how?

I drilled some holes in the under-seat webs and the side 'rails' on the seat and gained a bit of breathing, so how can that not be choked off?

I've seen stranger, though.

Dave
My carburetor intake gets much more air than the factory bike with the stock air filter and airbox snorkel. Indeed, my carburetor intake gets as much air as any other XR650L with a Uni air filter and the airbox snorkle removed. My engine starts well, runs well, and makes plenty of power to suit me. Of course, if one wants to maximize air intake, he can always drill more holes.

Spud