Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #61
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Looks like it's a dead duck this year. No support even from the guy who introduced the damn thing

So two more years ad we can try again lol
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #62
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,052
Since when did lane splitting have anything to do with cars paying attention to bikes? If you're relying on that, splitting or not, you're asking for trouble.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #63
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Lane splitting in Texas is a bad idea. It may work in CA, but not here. Besides, I ride AWAY from cities where it is not needed. Wide open spaces do not need it. In the cities you are just asking for it from cagers.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #64
iridered2003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator7G View Post
It's hard to say for sure what went on to cause this accident, but there are definitely a lot of lessons to take away from this video. Even without lane splitting being legal, I would've pulled over to the shoulder first since the center lane was occupied. Even in my car, I'll do this if traffic is that congested and I have to make a quick stop and avoid getting rear-ended.
there was no shoulder in that vid. look again
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #65
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridered2003 View Post
there was no shoulder in that vid. look again
As I said, it's hard to tell what went on for sure, including the presence of the shoulder due to the angle of the video. When I looked at it, it appeared that there was enough room on the left between traffic and the concrete barrier. Regardless, it still appears to me that he was traveling too fast for conditions.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #66
iridered2003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
As I said, it's hard to tell what went on for sure, including the presence of the shoulder due to the angle of the video. When I looked at it, it appeared that there was enough room on the left between traffic and the concrete barrier. Regardless, it still appears to me that he was traveling too fast for conditions.
read my lips,theres no shoulder in the vid if you think theres enough room on the left for him to hit, you need to get your eyes checked. you can see in the vid plain as day that theres no room on the left for him to go into. even if theres a small area, i guess it would be threading the needle. i wouldn't want to try it.
iridered2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #67
Operator7G
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridered2003 View Post
read my lips,theres no shoulder in the vid if you think theres enough room on the left for him to hit, you need to get your eyes checked. you can see in the vid plain as day that theres no room on the left for him to go into. even if theres a small area, i guess it would be threading the needle. i wouldn't want to try it.
Dude, chill. I can't see your lips anyway. So there's no shoulder, fine. You get a gold star. I'm not going to bother watching the vid again for that. If anything, that just proves my point even further that legalized lane splitting wouldn't have significantly altered the outcome. And if you would read everything, I also stated that my belief is that he was traveling too fast for the traffic conditions, which ultimately led to the accident. But then again, without seeing what went on before that clip started, it's hard to tell for sure.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #68
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Dude, chill. I can't see your lips anyway. So there's no shoulder, fine. You get a gold star. I'm not going to bother watching the vid again for that. If anything, that just proves my point even further that legalized lane splitting wouldn't have significantly altered the outcome. And if you would read everything, I also stated that my belief is that he was traveling too fast for the traffic conditions, which ultimately led to the accident. But then again, without seeing what went on before that clip started, it's hard to tell for sure.
what does a shoulder have to do with lane splitting? If he'd been on the line to the right he could have gone as fast and as far as he wanted and never hit anything, cuz he'd split the lanes in-between cars.

Legal or not he should have went for the only open hole available, which was directly ahead and in-between the lanes. If lane splitting were legal it would have been the 'normal' reflexive thing to do.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #69
Operator7G
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
what does a shoulder have to do with lane splitting? If he'd been on the line to the right he could have gone as fast and as far as he wanted and never hit anything, cuz he'd split the lanes in-between cars.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think lane splitting being legal is license to just haul ass regardless of traffic conditions, but I can see where being used to riding the white line might have given him an out that he would not have considered otherwise. I'm not sure I understand your logic on the shoulder with regard to riding the line to the right, but it doesn't really matter. You hit the nail on the head when you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Legal or not he should have went for the only open hole available, which was directly ahead and in-between the lanes.
I agree with you 100%. Lane splitting legality is irrelevant in an emergency situation like this appeared to be. If that's the only safe option, you take it.

Regardless, this thread is moot since the bill didn't go through. So with that, I wash my hands of this.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #70
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Lane splitting in Texas is a bad idea. It may work in CA, but not here. Besides, I ride AWAY from cities where it is not needed. Wide open spaces do not need it. In the cities you are just asking for it from cagers.
Hmm I ride everyday to work which requires me to ride towards and into a city. Not all of us only ride for pleasure. If I'm going somewhere 9.9 times out of 10 it's on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #71
kevinmorris22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Great article on Lane Splitting Statistics

It is easy to have opinions but these facts speak for themselves.

Lane Splitting is Safe
kevinmorris22 is offline   Reply With Quote