Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #196
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Is there a minimum number of people we need to use the campsite?

Did you prepay for anything?

I'm still going (but in my truck w/ my supermoto in the back.. long story). Hell, the HU colorado meeting was canceled too. We gotta do something!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #197
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
I can still make it out to New Mexico but I have no idea how the conditions are out there around the rally site as far as fires and such. We could have it a little later after Edit: Labor day when its cooler in Crane, MO which has a nice town park with a river running through it and with some very nice riding in the area.

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 08:36 PM
Throttlemeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #198
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Contact the Carson NF and ask what the conditions are in the different districts.
They offer many inexpensive group sites, and some not very far from that fancy resort.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #199
Doogle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Did I miss something?Are there fire problems in the area?
Can't we reduce the camp site size for fewer people?How many people have paid up?

If you change the date,I won't be available till mid October.And I doubt you want the rally that late.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #200
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
I've paid up, I can still make NM. I not worried about the burns but for some reason that I haven't read about the Rocky Mountain Adv Rally happpening a few weeks before the Latin deal pulled out of the same area were we are.

Need to find out more about this deposit from Ken
Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #201
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,005
It looks like I'll be driving my daughter out to Tucson in a couple of weeks. School starts for her and I'll be moving her into her new apartment. To get my bike there, I'll probably put it on a small u-haul bike-trailer. Once she's moved-in, hopefully I'll down Mexico-way for a few days. I don't have anywhere specific to go, and the only thing I really, really want (ssh- not that!) is to get a new crown on one of my molars. Is there a decent dentist at the southern tip of Baja?

I'll be getting back to Madison right around when the rallye was supposed to happen. I'm awful sorry that it doesn't look like it's going to work out. I was pretty pissed at the advrider mods a few months ago, and I'll never feel the same about this place, but I've calmed down.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #202
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I don't have anywhere specific to go, and the only thing I really, really want (ssh- not that!) is to get a new crown on one of my molars. Is there a decent dentist at the southern tip of Baja?
Dra. Susana Pedrero Fixed me up in Mazatlan. Friendly, English speaking, hygenic, I think she runs 5K's, Mid 30's and kinda good looking. I think she was hitting on me.... I know that Ken loves Mazatlan. I guess I know where you guys will spend the week

Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #203
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,546
Here's the deal

OK, here's the deal. I reserved a spot that will accommodate 30 people for 3 nights and I'm on the hook for $604 if I don't cancel or make other arrangements. I've pleaded for people to pay up but haven't received nearly enough to cover, or even come close to covering, the $604.

I will call Sipapu this afternoon when I get home from work and see if I can reduce the 30 to 10 or 15. If I can do that, the problem will be pretty much solved. But, from what I remember when I first made the reservations, 30 was the minimum. But, with what little memory I have left, that's probably wrong.

The original dates will not change. I realize a lot of folks have set these days aside.

If I can't change the reservation but have to cancel entirely I think we just need to find a place to meet around noon on the 26th and then head into the Carson NF like Lone Rider suggested and find us a spot to camp. I checked and it's open camping throughout the entire NF so we should be able to find something.

How's that sound?

P.S. From the replies it looks like the following are definitely showing up:

Bananaman
daveg
Doogle
Throttlemeister
Nata Harli
Discojon75

I know there are others that I think are coming but haven't heard from lately. Some have already paid and some haven't. Based on what I know and what I think I know, I'll try and reduce the reserved spots to 15. That means it will be a minimum on $302 split equally amongst those who show up whether it's 8 or 15.

I've got to get to work. When I get home I'll check my Paypal account and see how much I've received so far. I know a couple who have paid now won't be able to make it.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #204
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,005
Ken-

I'm really not coming. It just doesn't fit at all. I've got a few days to tool around Mexico, then I've got to get home. I'm hoping I can get a new crown, but if I can't, I'll just pay US prices, right here in Madison. It's not even a sure-thing that I'll get to ride Mexico. My dad's been in-and-out of the hospital, basically weekly. You can imagine how much of a damper that puts on everything. If he's in the hospital again, and looking sick, I'll either leave the bike in Tucson, or not even take the bike, just drive my daughter down there and then fly back.

-Max
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #205
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Got everything straightened out

Good news. I talked to the folks at Sipapu and they are OK with changing our campsite reservation from 30 down to 15. And, from what I can tell, we have just about 15 "definite" or "definite maybe" riders coming.

Here are the ones I think I know for sure are coming. If I mess this up it's because of brain freeze or old age. I'd bet on both!

Definite:
Nata Harli
daveg
Throttlemeister
doogle
Discojon75

(Makings of a damn good rally)

Definite maybe: (I think you are coming, just haven't heard from you for a while. Or, maybe I have and it's just that damn brain freeze thing. My apologies if that's the case)

Mr. & Mrs. Colomtnbiker
SgtMarty
Flyingavanti (and the redhead?)
pdedse
BobLoblaw
CCjon
ChangoGS

So, the rally's on. I don't know how many of you are suffering through this heat wave, but highs right now in Taos are 90 and lows in the mid 50s. Also, the fires are gone and everything is looking good out that way.

For all you lurkers thinking about coming. It looks like we are near 15 for the reserved campsites. My feeling is there will be more campsites available but you're on your own for securing reservations. You're more than welcome to join us.

The cost for the 15 campsites for 3 nights will be $302 which comes to about $20 each. We'll discuss food/drink options on Friday the 26th. I'm planning on having a nice dinner by the river at the restaurant in the lodge on either Saturday or Sunday night and you are all welcome to join me. It's my birthday and it's the one evening a year I treat myself to a really good meal!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #206
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Ken-

I'm really not coming. It just doesn't fit at all. I've got a few days to tool around Mexico, then I've got to get home. I'm hoping I can get a new crown, but if I can't, I'll just pay US prices, right here in Madison. It's not even a sure-thing that I'll get to ride Mexico. My dad's been in-and-out of the hospital, basically weekly. You can imagine how much of a damper that puts on everything. If he's in the hospital again, and looking sick, I'll either leave the bike in Tucson, or not even take the bike, just drive my daughter down there and then fly back.

-Max
Max,

Sorry about your dad. That's a bummer. I'm probably his age or a little older which is why I don't worry too much about going into debt to take my trips. It could happen to me any day.

If you happen to be in Madison on the 4th of September (Sunday) maybe we could finally meet for a beer. I'll be on my way to the far eastern provinces of Canada and plan on crossing at Sault Ste Marie to get into Canada. I could route my trip through Madison if you're going to be around.

Ken

Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #207
Nata Harli OP
Cunning Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I can still make it out to New Mexico but I have no idea how the conditions are out there around the rally site as far as fires and such. We could have it a little later after Edit: Labor day when its cooler in Crane, MO which has a nice town park with a river running through it and with some very nice riding in the area.
We'll have to check out Crane for next year.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #208
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
I'll be on my way to the far eastern provinces of Canada and plan on crossing at Sault Ste Marie to get into Canada.
Make sure you visit me in New Hampshire!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #209
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I don't know what the goal is for this rally, so I won't make assumptions.

Is this to be a reunion type of thing - buds getting together to toss around tales, lies, and future plans?
Do you want people who aren't heavy/experienced travelers to attend this event?

There are already many, many gatherings/rallies that riders can attend. Some of them are large and diverse.

If - the question I have - you really want to draw new riders, you might consider doing something other than a reunion type of thing in locations where other rallies are already held. Most everybody's schedules are busy.
Where to spend their time?
Consider an adventure riding type of gathering, rather than a social gathering, if you want more people to attend.

Some thoughts...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #210
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
I don't know what the goal is for this rally, so I won't make assumptions.
I dont know the goal either, but I'm pretty sure we're not that organized.

I'm attending the ALARR:
1. Great to see people who I've typed to on the Latin America forum and who's LA RRs I've followed
2. Even better to meet up with the folks who I've already met from the one ALARR I attended
3. Get current info about Latin America: Route ideas, connections, and security situation
4. Meet others who are interested in this kind of travel. Yes, there are other rallies of people who aren't afraid to cross a border, but none that aren't related to Horizons Unlimited (who are a little commercial for my taste AND who canceled their colorado meeting this year).

I like the idea of keeping it small and focused. Like Lonerider said, there are many meetings to go to, but this one IMO is unique. I think the social side of the meeting is the most interesting, but that may be just me as I'm snobby about "Adventure riding" or really good dual sporting as I dont think it can be done much in the USA (Yes, there are exceptions.. but our roads are too nice and help is too near!). There's ton to see in the USA.. it just isn't that adventurous when compared to riding in somewhere like the sierra madres .

Thanks Ken for all the work in organizing and worrying about the meeting!!