Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #211
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
I don't know what the goal is for this rally, so I won't make assumptions.

Is this to be a reunion type of thing - buds getting together to toss around tales, lies, and future plans?
Do you want people who aren't heavy/experienced travelers to attend this event?

There are already many, many gatherings/rallies that riders can attend. Some of them are large and diverse.

If - the question I have - you really want to draw new riders, you might consider doing something other than a reunion type of thing in locations where other rallies are already held. Most everybody's schedules are busy.
Where to spend their time?
Consider an adventure riding type of gathering, rather than a social gathering, if you want more people to attend.

Some thoughts...
Thanks, LR, for your input. I think we would like to keep this rally under 30 each year. We will always, I hope, have a "core" of riders who have attended all or most of the previous rallies. They won't always be the same each year. Then, we'd like to have a few more riders who have experienced Latin America and a few more who think they would like to experience it. And, if a few locals want to show up and just have a good time, that's fine, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
I dont know the goal either, but I'm pretty sure we're not that organized.

I'm attending the ALARR:
1. Great to see people who I've typed to on the Latin America forum and who's LA RRs I've followed
2. Even better to meet up with the folks who I've already met from the one ALARR I attended
3. Get current info about Latin America: Route ideas, connections, and security situation
4. Meet others who are interested in this kind of travel. Yes, there are other rallies of people who aren't afraid to cross a border, but none that aren't related to Horizons Unlimited (who are a little commercial for my taste AND who canceled their colorado meeting this year).

I like the idea of keeping it small and focused. Like Lonerider said, there are many meetings to go to, but this one IMO is unique. I think the social side of the meeting is the most interesting, but that may be just me as I'm snobby about "Adventure riding" or really good dual sporting as I dont think it can be done much in the USA (Yes, there are exceptions.. but our roads are too nice and help is too near!). There's ton to see in the USA.. it just isn't that adventurous when compared to riding in somewhere like the sierra madres .

Thanks Ken for all the work in organizing and worrying about the meeting!!
Dave, I think you have summed it up quite well.

I get plenty of opportunities for riding and I'm not as experienced an off-road rider as most who attend this event like Dave and Max. I like seeing old friends, meeting new friends, finally meeting people I've talked to online via the RRs, swapping war stories both true and untrue, and the ride out and back to wherever we happen to be having this year's current rally.

I also like keeping it small. Prior to attending last year's ALARR in Minnesota I was at the BMW MOA rally with about 8000 of my "friends". The only reason I attended that rally was to take the RawHyde off-road riding course. Coincidentally I both discovered I wasn't very good at riding off road and I didn't like hanging out with 8000 of my friends.

As for specific "goals" I don't think we really have one. Probably one of our goals for this year should be coming up with an "ALARR Mission Statement". I'll let someone else handle that though.

I'm glad it all came together and that I will be able to see old friends and meet some new friends. See all of you soon.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #212
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
It looks like I'll be driving my daughter out to Tucson in a couple of weeks. School starts for her and I'll be moving her into her new apartment. To get my bike there, I'll probably put it on a small u-haul bike-trailer. Once she's moved-in, hopefully I'll down Mexico-way for a few days. I don't have anywhere specific to go, and the only thing I really, really want (ssh- not that!) is to get a new crown on one of my molars. Is there a decent dentist at the southern tip of Baja?

I'll be getting back to Madison right around when the rallye was supposed to happen. I'm awful sorry that it doesn't look like it's going to work out. I was pretty pissed at the advrider mods a few months ago, and I'll never feel the same about this place, but I've calmed down.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Algadones,Mexico is 15 miles west of Yuma.Nice touristy town right at the border.They have more dentist per capita than anywhere in the world.We spend our winters an hour west of there.Many,many retirees go there for there dental work.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #213
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Nata Harli
I do appreciate your time and effort putting this together.And I know it's tough when people don't commit-leaving you hanging.I plan to be there even if it is only 5 of us.

Doug
Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #214
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 521
Nata Harli, you rock. Keep on keeping on.

Sending you my $$ via paypal tonight.

Work projects have me unsure of August schedules but.. don't want to see this group fade away. So I'll pay in just to make sure it happens. If I can't make it, so be it, have a cold one on me.

Shoot, I have a condo in Angel Fire near Sipapu, that I haven't been to in over a year. Work sucks, and the economy with it.

CCjon

Ride Report: Texas to Deadhorse to Key West in September
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post14695553
CCjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #215
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,176
Ken- the big difference was the 2-3 packs per day from 1958-2010. He had x-rays and a cat scan in 2009 that showed lung cancer starting, but instead of dealing with it early, he went to Panama for 6 months. Even dumber was that he could've gotten treatment in panama. Last summer the shit hit the fan. Half a lung got sucked out, along with a dozen lymph nodes. Add chemo and radiation mixed with asthma and you have a very sick man.

I'll be here on Sept 4. You can stay as long as you like. I'll even take you horseback riding.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #216
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post

Definite maybe: (I think you are coming, just haven't heard from you for a while. Or, maybe I have and it's just that damn brain freeze thing. My apologies if that's the case)

Mr. & Mrs. Colomtnbiker
SgtMarty
Flyingavanti (and the redhead?)
pdedse
BobLoblaw
CCjon
ChangoGS
Ken, you can add me to the definite maybe category. Like I said back channel, just waiting for the work situation to clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
I dont know the goal either, but I'm pretty sure we're not that organized.

I'm attending the ALARR:
1. Great to see people who I've typed to on the Latin America forum and who's LA RRs I've followed
2. Even better to meet up with the folks who I've already met from the one ALARR I attended
3. Get current info about Latin America: Route ideas, connections, and security situation
4. Meet others who are interested in this kind of travel. Yes, there are other rallies of people who aren't afraid to cross a border, but none that aren't related to Horizons Unlimited (who are a little commercial for my taste AND who canceled their colorado meeting this year).

I like the idea of keeping it small and focused. Like Lonerider said, there are many meetings to go to, but this one IMO is unique. I think the social side of the meeting is the most interesting, but that may be just me as I'm snobby about "Adventure riding" or really good dual sporting as I dont think it can be done much in the USA (Yes, there are exceptions.. but our roads are too nice and help is too near!). There's ton to see in the USA.. it just isn't that adventurous when compared to riding in somewhere like the sierra madres .

Thanks Ken for all the work in organizing and worrying about the meeting!!
Yeah what he said...

Suerte,

Martín
Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #217
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Algadones,Mexico is 15 miles west of Yuma.Nice touristy town right at the border.They have more dentist per capita than anywhere in the world.We spend our winters an hour west of there.Many,many retirees go there for there dental work.
This sounds like an option closer than Mazatlan. Thanks!
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #218
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
Copper Canyon is one day south of the border, and heaven for adventure riding.
I suggest this location for next year's rally.
Spring or Fall.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #219
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Three weeks to go.Not much chatter out there.Hope I'm not going to be there all alone.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #220
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
This sounds like an option closer than Mazatlan. Thanks!
He gave you very good info.
This is where I would go.

Bob
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #221
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Three weeks to go.Not much chatter out there.Hope I'm not going to be there all alone.
We have 15 campsites reserved. I'm hoping to fill them up.

I'll be leaving Lyons, CO, on Monday and will arrive at Sipapu on Wednesday. I'll try and get the choice 15 spots reserved for ALARR.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #222
Nata Harli OP
The Accidental Tourista

The final word

Yeah, sure!

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Winona, one of the owners of the resort. We originally had 15 campsites spoken for which would have accommodated 30 campers. She has people who want some of those campsites if we are not going to use them. Because of the number of riders who originally said they were coming who are now not coming, and because I did not want those of us who are showing up getting stuck with paying for campsites we were not using I have now got 7 campsites (2 tents per site) reserved for 4 nights - August 25th through the 28th.

Here's a breakdown of what I've received so far via PayPal:

Date Name Gross
7/30/2011 Jan Daub (Ccjon) 25
7/23/2011 gayle m lear (Doogle) 30
7/19/2011 John Martin (Throttlemeister) 40
6/29/2011 Jonathan Songer (Discojon75) 25
5/26/2011 Martin Deffenbaugh (Sgt Marty) 80
5/4/2011 Martin Maier (ElReyDelSofa) 25

8-5-11 daveg $25
8-13-11 catfishingguide $25

(I might have the 2 "Martin"s mixed up. Please let me know if I have.)

So, that means 7 8 of us definitely have a campsite reserved. That leaves room for 7 6 more. I know of some more that are definitely planning on attending but I have not received any $$$$$ from them yet.

Winona said there was a possibility of a few more campsites being available if you want to come and take a chance. Also, you might be able to swing a room in the lodge.

6 of the campsites (12 campers) are down by the river and the other site is "around the corner" from those 6. I'm assuming the river campsites are the better ones.

Like Doogle said in a previous post, there hasn't been much activity on this site lately which has left me kind of in the dark. Those of you out there (and you know who you are ) who are planning on attending please send me some $$$$ via PayPal to firm up your spot.

Those of you attending, you can start showing up on Thursday and we will have to vacate on Monday.

Winona told me the fires are a thing of the past and the forest roads offer many opportunities for some great riding. The average temps right now are running 90 for highs and 50 for lows in Taos. We're only 15 miles south so it shouldn't be to much different. As I write this it's 84 in Taos with 23% humidity. Sounds like heaven to me!

Nata Harli screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 04:04 PM
Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #223
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 786
PAID via paypal. woo!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #224
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,484
Shocks sent to ohlins and should be there by this Monday to fix this mess:

and some new seals on the front shock.

Repatch the ole fuel tank once more and head West under cover of the darkness. You got it right Ken- John Martin @ $40

Looking forward to getting back on a bike, haven't road since May at THC

Ken I would not get any more camp sites, the fewer we have to pay for the better, I'm sure most of us can camp in smaller area putting multiple tents to a site

See you guys around NM
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #225
Doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

How did you break that shock?How much weight did you put on down south?

I'm guessing that shock hasn't been broken for a year.And your date stamp on the picture is is just set wrong.

See you soon