User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Kiwi on Safari

Some time ago the question was raised as to whether there are any Kiwi's riding the Australasian Safari in 2008. Well, there's me . I promised to put a thread together showing the preparation that I have done to get myself and the bike to this point and then update the thread up to and hopefully through the event. I may even share the headache after the celebrations if I make it to the finish .

So here goes. The story will be a little mixed up as it's been quite a trial getting things sorted to this point and I haven't been diligent in recording everything with the camera. But hey ... the story is free right?

The dream machine:
[IMG][/IMG]

The reality of what I could afford:
[IMG][/IMG]

Fast track to how it stands today:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Over the next few nights I'll try and build up the whole picture of the preparation, going through all the modifications I've made to the bike to date, what's still to be done and also give an insight to me and my riding history and preparation, both mental and physical, for the Safari.

In the mean time, seeing as it's getting late and its the Missus' birthday today, I'll just give you a taste of things to come. I moved from Whangarei to Perth in 2001 and starting riding enduro's here in 2003. I've always been pretty involved in motorcycle club's, having been the president of the Whangarei MCC for a couple of years and held the same position with the WA Trail & Enduro Club last year. Although I've competed in the ISDE in NZ (DNF'd day 2) and the A4DE in Coffs Harbour last year (Silver medal) I consider myself a slow expert/veteran. Good results I've had have always been due to perserverance, determination and consistency (traits that should serve me well in the Safari) rather than racing speed or skill.

Anyway, I'll do a bit more tomorrow night.
Cheers
JayBo
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Awesome thread dude. Definatly keen to hear more about this adventure.

Cheers R

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Hope photobucket comes back up soon...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Thread of the month goes to JayBo1.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,728
Looking forward to the rest of this.

cheers

Mark
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
jezzaNZ
Orange Thumper

Oddometer: 156
Go on my son!!!!!!!!! or should that be GO!!!!!!!! on my son?

Good luck mate, might see you there next year!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cheers everyone
Okay, like I said before, this story will be a little "all over the place" but I'll try and sew it together as I go. If you have questions just jump in and I'll answer as I go - if I can.

I'll start with a tour of the bike as it is, and what better place to start than the cockpit?
[IMG][/IMG]

So this is the end that I try and hang onto. I try to keep it pointed forwards in front of me. If this end is behind me, I'm in trouble again!
[IMG][/IMG]
The view consists of, starting from the top:
1) The IMO Rallye computer. This little sucker shows me the total stage distance and the partial distance. (I'll explain more soon). There are some remote buttons on the handlebar that I'll get to soon that allow me to "zero" the partial and "increment" and "decrement" the stage distance in 10m lumps. The IMO is placed high so I don't have to drop my eyes from the track ahead too much and keeping track of your distance is important. From the route sheet you "lock in" your brain the next distance to watch for and then make sure you have slowed down suitably by that distance for whatever the route sheet was advising you of. The IMO also has a speed function and also engine speed, so it replaces the standard tacho that has made way for all this Rallye crap.
2) The scrolling road book. This thing has the route sheet wound on the bottom roller and contains all your instructions for navigation. Once again there is a toggle switch on the handlebar that enables me to scroll up or down. The wheels on the outside of the unit are knurled to allow you to manually scroll if needed. There are also little nylon knobs that enable you to disengage and engage the drive motors.
3) The standard KTM dash IMO. This basically becomes the backup IMO, with it's standard functions of two trip meters, speed, etc. It also has a temperature gauge as standard that the Rallye IMO does not have. I have removed the standard engine coolant electric fan, so the temp gauge is handy just in case.

To the right are two toggle switches. One is the ignition switch because I have removed the standard ignition switch barrel so there's no chance of losing or breaking the key. Removing it has also cleaned up the cockpit a little. Next switch is the grip heaters, with low/off/high positions.

To the left is a bracket that holds my Leatherman multitool in case I need to quickly cut anything, like fencing wire .
[IMG][/IMG]
There's also a few cable ties tucked in there for good measure. In this close-up you can also see the rubber mount foot for the dash bracket. Just above the cable you can see one of the Deutsch electrical connectors that I used to re-wire most plugs. These are waterproof and very robust - as used extensively in the outback mining equipment. Very expensive but very, very good. I've gone one step further and soldered all the lugs instead of using the Deutsch crimp tool.

You can also see that the fibreglass fairing is second hand. I borrowed it from a friend for the photoshoot as mine is still unpainted. I am hoping to make up a few in Carbon Fibre very soon.

Gotta make a cuppa tea for the missus. Back soon.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

On we go ...
[IMG][/IMG]
So the top triple clamp and steering damper are from MSC in Australia and are top gear as far as I'm concerned. I loved the fact the whole ignition switch block is a bolt on item to the clamp so easily removed entirely. I used the mounting bolt hole to mount a cable guide made out of a clothes hanger. This provides a guide for the IMO signal cable. More on that later. The steering damper mounting raises the handlebars by about 25mm which was ideal for me at 6' and suits my normal standing attack riding position. (I rarely sit down when racing). The crash pad is the standard one that came with my 450EXC and fits nicely over the Rallye set clamp. Later on I'll dig out some close-up detail photo's of the Rallye set clamps and damper etc.

The really observant amoung you might have noticed the brake master cylinder is not standard 640Adv affair. It's a KTM EXC unit. I have converted to single disk front end and so can use the smaller EXC master cylinder and also the brake line is EXC. This tidies up the front, allows me to do more with mounting stuff, weighs less and means I can take a spare cylinder and line in the service vehicle on loan from my 450 EXC. Several birds with one stone.

[IMG][/IMG]
Tucked between the fairing and the dash frame is the ballast for the HID headlights - one each side. With some loooong days expected in the Safari and Australia's very fine outback dust, a good set of lights are fairly important. Too many good reports on HIDs to ignore. The kit was real easy to fit and makes a world of difference. I haven't quite finished the instal yet because I want to rewire the ballast power feed direct from the battery with relay switches. I might note here that I have modified the wiring slightly so that the low beam stays on when you switch to high beam so you don't plunge into darkness while the low beam heats up when dropping from Hi to Lo. The park light is wired so it comes on with the ignition switch, mainly because it was easy to wire the dust light to the tail light and the rules say the dust light has to be on any time the engine is on regardless of the headlight switch position.
[IMG][/IMG]
Left hand grip. Working from the outside in. The barkbusters replaced the standard fragile guards. Thick foam grips. I haven't ridden with foam grips before but I was sold after my first ride! A day without blisters . (I "two finger type" in the office for a job so don't get calloussed hands easily). There is a grip heater under there for those cold pre-dawn starts. Outback WA in winter can be -6DegC easy. (Believe it or not, WA's Stirling Ranges in South WA get a dusting of snow in August about every second year!).
Moving on ... The toggle switch under the grip is for scrolling the route sheet forward or backward. The three big buttons are for the Rallye IMO. The middle button "zeroes" the partial distance trip meter while the top and bottom buttons increment and decerment the stage distance. The switch block is a KTM EXC one. Once again this tidies up the cockpit and gives me a spare from my 450EXC to take along for the trip. (Also makes the bike more like Mark Coma's )

[IMG][/IMG]
Right hand side grip. Similar story to the left for the guard, grip and heater. There's also a shiny anodised aluminium throttle tube under there, to make the action nice and smooth, easy to clean and less likely to get "gummed up" with fine dust if it rains too. The actual throttle cable part of the throttle tube is from a KTM EXC again, while the throttle cables themselves are Venhill teflon lined cables custom made to length (ending in a nice 41mm FCR racing carb ). The triple button set this time works the standard KTM IMO to reset the trip meter and scroll through the various standard IMO functions. Once again the button set can be spared from my 450EXC one. (Looks like most of my 450EXC will travel the outback WA in the trailer ). The red button is the start (actually a kill switch from an early RM MX bike).
[IMG][/IMG]
The mirrow is compulsory (according to the rule book) so is a small, light, plastic foldaway type. It tucks nicely in front of the handlebar and over the throttle cables.

More soon.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Moving on around the outside then...
[IMG][/IMG]
The little rubber mounted indicators like the early 80's Honda XRs had. These came from Ballards. They may "fall off" during the first day and "fall on" again if needed by officialdom. I haven't yet done the same at the rear end but intend to.

[IMG][/IMG]
The front guard is a 950SE one and just needed some work on the spacers to fit nicely. Having said that, I have now discovered that the front tyre is wearing into the bottom rear piece at full compression. Maybe the new springs will sort that out or playing some more with the spacer arrangment. The cable guide is actually half a cable guide with another one cut in half to provide a cable guide for the rhs fork leg.

[IMG][/IMG]
DRZ400 fork protectors provide better wrap around protection for the fork tubes than the popular 85SX versions. Nice 1.6" x 21" Excel front rim laced to standard spokes and hub. I stuck with the standard hub because they're not a bad hub and I have the magnet for the IMO sensor on the other side. (More on that soon). The long gold protruberance is the rim lock thread protector but is only there while I wait for my Mousses to arrive. I have just received a set this week so they'll go on this weekend. There's also billet alloy rim locks in there that will become redundant.

[IMG][/IMG]
It's a little difficult to see but the speed sensor is moulded into the fork protector. The protector is made of fibreglass and based on a DRZ400 one. The idea is that the sensor is well protected. The cable is a little exposed running up the fork protector but is well clipped down. I may do further work on this yet. You can also see the magnetic bolt head in one of the disk moutning holes.

Gotta go. More tomorrow.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The movie the missus is watching is crap so time for a bit more here.
[IMG][/IMG]
The bashplate is pretty solid and offers some protection for the fuel tap. (They have a habit of getting broken on 640Adv's apparently). I actually haven't completely decided about whether the fuel tap will stay at all. I may simply tee the fuel line to the vacumm pump directly into the balance tube between the two inner fuel valves. I'll make a final decision when the replacement Hardparts 28litre plastic tank arrives next week. Anyway, the bashplate has a water container on this side and a tool storage locker on the other side.
[IMG][/IMG]
Both can be unbolted separately so if really needed you can hike out with water but without the bike. Can't imagine a reason to do this but there you go.

[IMG][/IMG]
I hate sideways photo's but can't be bothered fixing this one. Live with it - okay! The Renazco seat. Famed all over. I heard of several local people that can do seats but the 640Adv seat needs alot of reshaping and I didn't want to muck around with several renditions to get it right and the Renazco dudes have this well sorted. It was costly but what a great product . I was initially concerned that it still wasn't tall enough in the front and the foam is a bit soft but after a days riding I was convinced they've got it right. The widening really helps with keeping your lower legs in a good place when standing and also makes it comfortable for the short periods I do sit. I think I'll really come to appreciate this on the liaison sections of the Safari if road riding for 50 or 100 km's. The timecard pouch will make life easier with a neckbrace on because you can't see into your bumbag with the brace on. The timecard pouch on the KTM Rallye jacket on the end of the right sleeve is a little too far around the right side of the sleeve to be ideal, but that would be okay if you didn't have a seat pouch.

[IMG][/IMG]
Ah - the side tank. It's a genuine KTM part for a 1999 660 Rallye. It's the first item I've come across that was cheaper to buy here in Aus than from the USA. It went on backorder, and I thought trouble was brewing, but it was here in my hands inside two weeks. It's taken a fair bit of messing around to fit. I've had to modify the airbox with a knife, heat gun and Araldite, cut down an exhaust bracket, relocate the rear brake fluid reservoir and make a sub-frame loop. It took me a while to find out the part numbers for the genuine mounting hardware (rubber spool, etc) so I'm expecting them to arrive next week. In the mean time the tank is just bolted down with big washers. I've also ordered all the taps, caps and stuff. (The cap here is from my 450EXC). Then I'll have to plumb it all in to tee into the vacuum pump feed line.
[IMG][/IMG]
Okay - the dust light is a bit ugly. It's faaar too big and my boot hits hit when swinging my leg over towards the end of the day when I'm getting weary. If I get time I'll change it for a pair of rubber lenses like the 660/690's have, with small LED clusters under them. This one does have storage space inside it so might be handy for the compulsory First Aid kit or at least the compulsory space blanket and/or sun hat. (I'll explain some of the rules further down the track). I mentioned earlier that the rear indicators will be replaced by the small rubber mounted early XR ones soon. The rear guard extension will either be removed or at least cut very short.

[IMG][/IMG]
The rear wheel is another gorgeous Excel rim laced to standard hub but with heavy duty spokes. Rim size is standard 2.5" x 18". Michelin Desert tyres front and rear for the Safari. (Four sets for the 7 day event). You can't see it really but the pipe is a Staintune muffler with the restrictor removed. It's not too friendly but this isn't a commuter bike. I'm very pro-quiet bikes (my 450EXC runs the standard exhaust, even for racing) but the 640 really responds well to the free flow when the 41mm FCR is fitted and the airbox lid carved away. The spring sneaking into the picture is the standard one but my replacement springs from Teknik Motorsport arrived this week so they'll go in this weekend. (0.50 fork springs and 80 250mm rear spring).

Okay, that's about it for an "around the outside" tour. From here on it'll really be some detail looks at things like the side tank mounting details and the wiring, dash frame, etc. I'll get more snaps this weekend as I take it apart again to do the springs and also there's a few things I have to sort out like a weepy ignition cover gasket. I also have some work to do on my 4x4 camper rig that will be my home and the service vehicle for the trip. (Mounting some work lights, sorting out storage bins for clothes, food and parts, etc). Hopefully I'll post some more up on Sunday evening. Till then, keep safe. Ciao. JayBo.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
maccajim
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
looks great

I can't believe the work that has to go into bullet proofing plus the dash/nav stuff great to see as i have the exact same bike so can see the work/hours u have had to put in.
The bash plate looks great net on my list.
good luck with the rest
maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 638
Very nice work!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
Indo2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Hey JayBo

Where did you get that nice bash plate from? And good luck on the rally.

I'll be joining you in Perth soon, maybe we can do some rides together after the safari while I'm training for the gasdash?

Cheers
Indo
Indo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

KTMMatt bashplate & Yilgarn Rallye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo2002
Hey JayBo

Where did you get that nice bash plate from? And good luck on the rally.

I'll be joining you in Perth soon, maybe we can do some rides together after the safari while I'm training for the gasdash?

Cheers
Indo
Hiya Indo,
I bought the bashplate and a fair bit of the gear I've got from a competitor of last years Safari. He moved to Wellington NZ shortly after the 2007 Safari and put his 640A back into standard trim for the shop floor. He sold all the Safari stuff as a "package" to me. The bashplate is a KTMatt (fellow Advrider) custom made unit. He made a bunch of them but I don't know whether he is still doing them or interested in doing more. You could try a PM his way.

I haven't done the GasDash yet but will do it soon. Even better than the GasDash is what SafariBerg and a few others, including me, are working on. It will be called the "Yilgarn Rallye" and is a 2-day navigation style Rallye along the same lines as the Condo 750. We're planning for the first one to be run in mid 2009 based from Southern Cross (about 3 hours East of Perth). Shaping up very well so far. Maybe catch you soon.
KTM 530 EXC-R
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

MSC damper and Rallye set triple clamp

Okay, getting to the details now. I thought I'd spend a few minutes showing you all the MSC steering damper and "Rallye set" triple clamp.

[IMG][/IMG]
So this is what came in the box. Lots of very shiny stuff!

[IMG][/IMG]
The damper unit was one of the items that came with the bunch of stuff I bought from a previous Safari competitor. It also just happened to be identical to the unit I've been running for many years on my 450EXC's so means I have a spare to throw on if needed during the Safari. I changed the oil, greased all the 'O' rings and replaced the lid 'O' ring and it's like new again. These units are very simple in construction and the single adjustment doesn't confuse me .

[IMG][/IMG]
I've heard of people having problems with weld on spigot towers while I've never had a problem with clamp on spigots on either of my 450EXC's over 5 years of enduro racing so I was very keen to use a clamp on spigot. I modified my 450EXC clamp so it would work and then sent the photo's to MSC. They then came up with the clamp for the kit. The modified 450EXC one is now available as a spare for the Safari but also still works on the 450 for the enduro's. I love it when a plan comes together.

[IMG][/IMG]
So this is the top view of the triple clamp. The standard clamp rubber bar mount bushes fit into the round bits sticking up so you retain the rubber mounted bars - critical on a 640Adv! Many people change the offset of 640Adv's from the standard 18mm to 20mm. The MSC triple clamp only changes the top clamp and retains the standard 18mm offset. Interestingly almost everyone racing 450EXC's changes the standard offset from 20mm to 18mm! I tried fitting the 450EXC Hardparts triple clamps in both 18mm and 20mm offset and they work alright, but you lose the rubber mounted bars. It was only after I had already ordered the MSC Rallye kit that I discovered the trick new Hardparts bar dampers as used on the 690 Rallyes. If I was doing this again, I'd be tempted to use Hardparts 18/20 adjustable clamps with those trick rubber mounts.

[IMG][/IMG]
The bottom view clearly shows the bolt on section that mounts the standard ignition barrel. Instead of relocating the ignition barrel though, I replaced it with a dash mounted toggle switch so didn't need the bolt on bit. The holes used for mounting the bolt on piece are now used to mount a cable guide.

[IMG][/IMG]
Finally, the top bar clamp with the risers to clear the underbar mounted damper. I was keen for the underbar mounting because it minimises the length of the spigot from the steering head which maximises it's strength and resistance to bending or stress fracturing. I'm not sure why the MSC people spell Rallye as RALLE - no-one else in the world does. Must be an Aussie thing .

Well that's it for the clamps. Next is maybe the Renazco seat or maybe the spring changeout until I finish the side tank installation next week. I will also let you know a little more of my history and some of the challenges I have faced in getting my body ready for this. I completely smashed my right foot (multiple fractures to each of 7 bones) in the first weekend of September 2006, just 10 weeks before the ISDE in Taupo, and then exactly one year later on the first weekend of September 2007 I virtually tore my left arm out of the shoulder, tearing the entire rotator cuff and fracturing the Humerous head. Lucky for me the Safari in 2008 finishes on the last weekend of August and I won't be even so much as looking at a bike the following weekend!

Till the next installment, keep it safe. Ciao. JayBo.
KTM 530 EXC-R