Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #151
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,243
I think mine is around the 2.5 mark, not sure exactly. I set it for best idle then checked the pull from idle which seemed pretty good, a 1/4 turn either way didn't make it any better accelerating off idle for me so that's where it stayed.

It's a bit of a bastard to adjust without the bling screw, I found a screwdriver bit in a 1/4 sq drive bit adapter on a 1/4-3/8 sq drive adapter made a perfectly sized tool. To get a good setting turn the idle down as far as you can without the decomp kicking in, adjust for best idle, turn the idle down again as far as possible then fine tune.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #152
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 2,985
My latest bits finally arrived today.

An assortment of missing nuts and bolts, the little plug to blank off the SAS hole in the head and a new battery.

I haven't had a close look yet, but what keeps the SAS plug in place? Do you need some kind of sealant/locktite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Don't think I have written this all in one place before, so for what it is worth...

Hope all this is helpful for someone. Let me know if there is anything I can add.
Sorry Roger I don't think I replied to your post. Thanks for your info and experience. Very handy.

I can see myself heading down the same route as yourself as time and money allows. I'll probably start with an "Auspuff" and see how things progress from there.

Cheers

kiwipeet screwed with this post 06-13-2011 at 09:22 PM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #153
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
I haven't had a close look yet, but what keeps the SAS plug in place? Do you need some kind of sealant/locktite?
You might need a new copper washer underneath it, and it's held in place by the exhaust manifolds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #154
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
You might need a new copper washer underneath it, and it's held in place by the exhaust manifolds.
Sweet, i got the washer also.

I just thought it might need something to gum it up a bit.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 06:18 PM
Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #155
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

It's been a busy day

I stripped the bike down again and started gremlin hunting.

I adjusted the pilot jet so that it is now 2 turns out. I couldn't really tell how much tension was on the choke so I backed it right off.

I replaced the vacuum line to the petrol pump as it had a join in it, from connecting to the SAS gear as well as when Mike added the scott-oiler. I thought it was air tight but could blow through it gently. I don't know if you should be able to blow through petrol pump normally so maybe the hose had a leak.

I fit the nice little cap to blank off the EPC vent hole in the top of the carb and then thought, well... since I already have the tank off, i might as well have a go at removing the SAS pipe... ye gods.. what a sod of a job. Trying to undo the manifold flanges without removing the radiators...

The problem is that the middle flange bolts are hidden between headers and behind the frame. You can't get a socket or ratchet or spanner directly on to it. I got there in the end after buying an assortment of tools from repco & supercheap that didn't actually help...

I had a mate drop in, so work stopped for a few hours, and I didn't get back out to the shed until 6pm.

Once i finally had the SAS pipe out and blank plug in, I started to reassemble it all, i used allen screws instead of the original hex head bolts because I have allen keys with a ball joint on one end, which allowed me just enough of an angle to get the screws in, and 95% of the way tightened. Much better. It took to 2-3 hours to get the orginal bolts out but only 2-3 minutes to put the new ones in. (including a dab of locktite.)

Last of all I fit my new motobatt battery.. I'm a bit dissappointed with it because it doesn't come with terminals and screws which are a slightly odd size, plus it doesn't have the indent like the original battery and it's about 15mm taller... So the bracket that holds the CDI has to be mangled and no longer lines up with the original bolt holes and isn't secured. So the tight squeeze under the seat for the wiring is now even tighter and the only thing holding the battery in place is the seat.

So after all that, I bolted it back together and took it for a run down the road at about 11pm in freezing soupy fog... And you know what... I reckon I might have fixed it

When you rev the motor it now drops straight back to 1500rpm. and on the road it will continue to cleanly decelerate. She definitely and clearly decelerates below 3000 rpm, although I still don't feel it has a lot of engine braking, it's clearly better than it was.

I'll take it for a bit of a ride tomorrow and see how it behaves, and might do a bit more fine tuning of the pilot jet if needed.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 05:01 AM
Old 06-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #156
warewolf
Tyre critic

Good news Peet!

Yes the SAS bore is a PITA. I removed mine while the head was off, after eye-balling it often in the frame and thinking hmmm... But I installed it after I re-fitted the head and yeah

I'd pick the vacuum hose as the likely culprit for an air leak, if not in the length of hose then maybe at the end fitting.

Sounds like now it's time to enjoy the beastie... stop posting, get out there and ride
Quote:
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #157
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Good news Peet!

...Sounds like now it's time to enjoy the beastie... stop posting, get out there and ride
Yep, hoping to do some more of that, next weekend in fact...

I took the bike for short ride today. It feels good, but not sure if its 100%... but that's quite possibly just paranoia on my part. I think it takes a while till get used to a bike, and i'm still learning about this one. It's quite a different beastie to the 950's... all the rattles, grumbles and groans are in different places.

This week I'll sort out the carrier and handguard properly.

kiwipeet screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 06:40 PM
Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #158
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
I took the bike for short ride today. It feels good, but not sure if its 100%... but that's quite possibly just paranoia on my part. I think it takes a while till get used to a bike, and i'm still learning about this one. It's quite a different beastie to the 950's... all the rattles, grumbles and groans are in different places.
I'll give you a useful tip: they don't like to be nanna'd or ridden on motorways. Twisting the throttle makes them handle.
Quote:
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #159
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Bluhduh MMMmm well that didn't go as planned...

I had really been looking forward to the MMM ride this weekend... and even made it to the start line... but sadly couldn't join the ride.

On the way from Gisborne down to the start line in Rangitaiki, I noticed the gear changes were getting stiffer... by the time I had got to Wairoa, I had no clutch at all.

I stopped at a garage and found the clutch reservoir empty, so we topped it up and bled the clutch. All good and so I carry on...

By the time I got to Napier... same problem... but this time the reservoir isn't empty

I topped up and got a small bottle of oil to top up again if needed. (it takes mineral oil not typical brake/clutch fluid.) 90k's later I grind to a crunchy halt at Rangitaiki... no clutch.... nothing, nada...

Clint had a lookie and confirmed, it "Yep, there's no clutch". We think the piston seal on the slave cylinder is shot and each time I pull the lever it pumps air into the line instead of oil.

We decided to try the trick of cable-tie-ing the lever back so that hopefully it would let the air bubbles out overnight... and then retired to the bar... to do important... beer... stuff...

This morning as we all geared up, I topped up the reservoir again and tried it out, and... I only had half a clutch...

After the riders brief we all set off down the road, but within the first kilometre or so off the tar i was back to having zero clutch again.

As I couldn't stop the bike or get it started again without a running start I didn't like the idea of the upcoming creek crossing and greasy steep bits.. through the forest. Then I thought... hmm no clutch, little or no engine braking, tall gearing and tight windy roads around the lake with crunchy downshifts... not a good idea... So I decided to pull out of the ride, turn around and head back to the road and head home..

I took it pretty easy, trying to be gentle of the gearbox and minimise the number of changes. And so about 4 hours later after 300 k's of riding with no clutch in patchy rain, I was back home in Gizboring...

Other than the clutch packing up, and the bike developing a miss at at about 5000rpm, it's also getting crappy fuel economy. It used 32.8 litre's in 490k's, that's 6.6 litres/100k's instead of the expected 5 litres/100k's.

That doesn't sound like much, but if you look at another way, I should be getting about 500k's from a 25 litre tank... but with my current fuel consumption I'll be empty in less than 380k's. About 120k's (25%) short of normal... (which is very long way if you're walking or pushing a motorbike..)

kiwipeet screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 06:31 PM
Old 07-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #160
warewolf
Tyre critic

Sorry to hear of your dramas. Sounds like you must have been a VERY bad boy, in this life or the last, to deserve all this!

Can I just say one thing: don't ride the fcuker until you sort that clutch! When the slave leaks it usually puts the clutch's mineral oil into the crankcase and the bottom end does not like it. Read up on here, lots of info.
Quote:
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #161
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your dramas. Sounds like you must have been a VERY bad boy, in this life or the last, to deserve all this!

Can I just say one thing: don't ride the fcuker until you sort that clutch! When the slave leaks it usually puts the clutch's mineral oil into the crankcase and the bottom end does not like it. Read up on here, lots of info.
Yep, well fingies x'd it's the master rather than the slave... because i've already done about 500 k's with it leaking...
Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #162
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,243
I'm a bit unconvinced that 25ml of clutch oil would cause a bottom end to grenade. I think it may have been coincidence that a couple of people have had bad clutches & worn out motors at the same time.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #163
warewolf
Tyre critic

I think you're right Clint. Could've been a few top-ups though, and/or if there is a leak, what about water ingress?
Quote:
Old 07-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #164
rogerh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I would still be pretty nervous about riding it. That mineral oil is not a lubricant. Feels pretty weird, almost sticky. And if it is anything like hydraulic oil (and it feels like it to me) it does not mix well with lubricating oil. If a plug of it went through the oil ways it would certainly cause some wear but probably not a grenade I would imagine.

I would still be pretty cautious if you can avoid riding it. But maybe I am just paranoid. Dunno.
rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #165
kiwipeet OP
Uber Cyber Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
I would still be pretty nervous about riding it. That mineral oil is not a lubricant. Feels pretty weird, almost sticky. And if it is anything like hydraulic oil (and it feels like it to me) it does not mix well with lubricating oil. If a plug of it went through the oil ways it would certainly cause some wear but probably not a grenade I would imagine.

I would still be pretty cautious if you can avoid riding it. But maybe I am just paranoid. Dunno.
Well it's a bit late now. I've done 500 k's on it.

Well, sounds like I definitely need to flush the whole clutch at least. I was about to top it up with brake fluid when I saw the mineral oil label.

I just assumed it took normal mineral oil. So I guess I'll have to clean it out, fix the seals, refill it with the correct clutch fluid, and do an oil change.

I am hopeful that it's only the master cylinder. as the clutch completely faded yet the reservoir was still pretty full. If it was pumping it out the slave end, I would have expected the reservoir to be empty within a few pulls of the clutch. (unless somehow it's pumping fluid out of the slave and sucking air back in somewhere.)

kiwipeet screwed with this post 07-05-2011 at 06:35 PM