Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #166
ridesdirt
Ya, it's a bimmer

Oddometer: 143
For those that the helmet fits fine. What is your build date? Could there be a correlation between
early build dates and the mark of Schuberth?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #167
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 662
C3 sizes running small = secret to quietness ?

From reading some of this I'm getting the impression the Schuberth's secret to quietness might be fitting tighter than other helmets at the same nominal size.
I wear a 61-62 (cm) Justissimo, which exactly corresponds to my measured head size. The C3 of the same size barely fit, it felt very constricting (especially temples, forehead) and my chin touched the front bar. The next size up (62-63 cm, I think) fits a lot better, but still very tight. The weird thing is that is already XXL. Anyways, I know I could not wear a Schuberth just by going with my nominal head size.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #168
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
After 3 months I still get the Mark of Schuberth. Which is embarrashing because it vaguely looks like someone's been resting their dick on my forehead...........I hate to look like I was teabagged.......I have to figure something out other than immediatly putting a hat on after I remove this helmet.

Just come out of the closet and embrace the fact that somebody has been resting his junk on your head. It's 2011, you can even do that in the military today.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #169
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
After 3 months I still get the Mark of Schuberth. Which is embarrashing because it vaguely looks like someone's been resting their dick on my forehead...........I hate to look like I was teabagged.......I have to figure something out other than immediatly putting a hat on after I remove this helmet.
That is seriously the funniest thing I've ever read on this thread. Thank you!
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #170
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Glad we could be here for you as you wrestle with this identity crisis. Hope you work it out, no matter which team you play for.
P.S. I'm pretty sure that Schuberth is German for Tea-bagged Dickhead Mark.
Unfortunetly my mark of Schuberth now resembles Ihendrik's wife and mother which is that sheep that he has as his avatar.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #171
turdpolisher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
$700 head

So I just went through all these post and now I'm more doubtful than ever. Was going to pull the trigger this weekend on a C3. Do I have the perfect shaped head? I'm pretty sure my head is worth the investment. Saying that is it cheaper and less painful in the long run to just get scrotal sack marks tattooed on my forehead? Equal numbers of people seem to love it versus be tortured by it.

So many questions........

Guess I will wear it for as long as I can in the dealership, then buy a size larger than needed and wear a balaclava.

Will post a review if and when I take the plunge.
turdpolisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #172
dulinor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Mine did eventually break in. It's a quiet and comfortable helmet once that's resolved. Distractingly painful for after an hour or so on the head for the first few weeks. (Never had a visible mark, which sounds like something I should be happy about.)

I did have an unrelated issue, which Schuberth stood behind 110% so they're replacing the helmet. Love the customer service but somewhat dreading going through yet another break in period!
dulinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #173
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 662
dulinor, what size is your head, and what size did you buy?
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #174
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
All my Snell SA and Snell M helmets have been large, some DOT but non-snell I have tried in stores but not bought would have needed to be XL. I have had HJC, Bell, Shoei and now Schuberth. My C3 is a large. The C3 is my first non-snell helmet purchase.

I always buy my helmets tight, they always wear into a comfortable though still snug fit. I think I wear helmets more snug than most do.

The L to the XL in the C3 is actually a large jump probably due to being the shell changeover point. I found the XL fit like it was already worn in but the L I bought was tighter than my typical tight. The chin curtain is the thing I was most unprepared for as it was pretty tight even removing the weather pad.

I wore it for 20 minutes in the store and thought I had gotten used to it enough to know the L would be OK. I rode for an hour and half after that and half way through did find I had a vague head ache on either side of my forehead but not quite to the temples. No marks, no specific pressure points that I could detect. Which was the strange part for me to have a head ache after not feeling any areas of specific discomfort. The next ride was 3 hours and the vague head ache started at about 2 hours.

Not intentionally but since that time I have ridden an hour or less with it. It is wearing in and I am getting used to the neck and chin curtain.

It is so quiet that for me it would have to be much more uncomfortable for me to not want to wear it. I was much more uncomfortable with the noise in my previous modular. I got matte black because it was the only color in stock I liked and hi-vis was not available and I am an impulse buyer :( so...

if anyone has a hi-vis they are not happy with and is lightly worn I might be interested.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #175
cdf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesdirt View Post
For those that the helmet fits fine. What is your build date? Could there be a correlation between
early build dates and the mark of Schuberth?
I bought mine from Max NH in April, build date 10 / 2010. I have been wearing it all season and no problems with fit or marks on the forehead… I bought a size large and previously had a C1, Arai Quantum and Shoei in larges. Most of my riding this season has been commuting and this is the best helmet I have owned. It does everything well. I am very happy with the fit, it is a lot lighter the than the C1, it vents better than Arai or Shoei, the flip is easier to use than the C1 and I don’t think I will own another helmet without the pinlock. My only complaint is in heavy rain the top of the face shield is leaking, but I think I might be able to adjust that out.
cdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #176
dulinor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruesome View Post
dulinor, what size is your head, and what size did you buy?
I wear about a 7 1/2 on fitted caps (although that can vary) - my first helmet was a Shoei I bought in XL, which fit great at first then felt loose after a few years. I switched to Large for an Arai XD3 which has been the most comfortable helmet ever. I debated in the shop between the XL and L - wanted to keep it light and went for the L for the Schuberth. Seemed fine in the store, nicely snug and quiet.

When I put the helmet on at home, the chin thing freaked me out for a bit, till I removed the "winter" piece. I also found the space around the month much more constrained than other helmets. The freakishly large microphone on the SRC system just didn't work at all for me, but better once you take the wind sock off.

Was getting distracting pain after about an hour of continuous wear. Suddenly one day I realized it was late in the day and I hadn't had any problems. Never happened again after that.
dulinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #177
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
One thing to consider is that you can purchase a different liner and put it in the shell. I had an XL that was tight as can be and caused bad headache and eye pain from pressing on the brow. I called Schuberth and they suggested I buy an XXL liner and put it in the shell to get a few inches of forehead space. I declined the offer and sold it.
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #178
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
One thing to consider is that you can purchase a different liner and put it in the shell. I had an XL that was tight as can be and caused bad headache and eye pain from pressing on the brow. I called Schuberth and they suggested I buy an XXL liner and put it in the shell to get a few inches of forehead space. I declined the offer and sold it.

So you have absolutely no idea if that would have helped?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #179
Bobonli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post

So you have absolutely no idea if that would have helped?
Correct-a-mundo. Byt the time I got to that potential remedy, I was convinced my head shape did not match the design. For $700, you shouldn't have to carve the liner with a spoon, pre-wash the cushions and flatten them, or have to shell out extra for a different liner. It either fits or it doesn't.

The Schuberth rep seemed pretty certain a different liner would have helped but I had had enough by then.

My Shoei, on the other hand, fit better right from the start because the design is different. Most people would not walk out of a shoe store with ill-fitting shoes, but it seems that many (me included) are willing to take a chance that a helmet will "break in" and we set ourselves up for disappointment when it doesn't fit properly.
Bobonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #180
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Since the shell is identical for XL and XXL the only thing he was telling you - you should have bought an XXL...

I agree with the sentiment that if it is the right size only buy (or in this case keep it if it fits right) - $700 or not the helmet just isn't going to fit everyone unless they offer different shaped liners in each size - XL A, XL B, XL C. Absolutely at any price you shouldn't have to make permanent modifications to anything solid but helping the liner itself wear in with minor effort wouldn't have bugged me too much. I was fortunate that mine appears to be wearing in fine but haven't rode as long since the last headache, just because I haven't had the opportunity.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote