Oddometer: 2,215
^^^ Yep
Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #212
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboICE View Post
Isn't the L / XL the crossover between the two different C3 shells? The XL liner would and should be thicker than the L liner in that case and the XL liner wouldn't fit properly in the L shell in any case.

The L liner allows the smaller shell to fit the largest size so it would be the thinnest liner. The XL liner allows the larger shell to fit the smallest size so it would be the thickest liner.
Don't know about the liner, but the Men's XL cheekpads fit just fine in my women's Small C3.

-k
Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #213
Advdave
Toolbox Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
I have had my C-3 for several months and finally got around to installing the pinlock visor. While it does a great job at preventing the visor from fogging up it is also not very clear to see through. Did I get a bad pinlock visor or are all of them kind of cloudy? Thanks.

The pins are concentric. You may need to rotate them so the groove is outboard to make a tighter fit. If there's a gap in the piinlock seal-face shield mating surfaces, that's the issue, most likely.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #214
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 408
I went to the store and answered my own questions. See below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
I would like to hear from anyone that went to the C3 from the C2 about a few specific differences.
1) the C2 hits my shoulder doing a head check. the C3 (without a riding jacket) felt much easier to do the check. Do others feel there is more chinbar/shoulder clearance on the C3? more space - chinbar seems to be smaller (not sure if it has to do with model difference or size difference, but intuition told me it was the model)
2) the C2 velcro dots on the EPS (which hold the liner) kept moving around. I ended up replacing them with new ones. Is the C3 liner attachment system better? yes, the liner is held in by a plastic clip system (between the liner and shell - similar to most other brands)
3) I like the C2 ability to pull out the face shield - one detent on ether side - for venting and defogging. Does the C3 shield have a similar venting option? yes, the shield can be propped open a minor amount with a nub on the lower center of the faceshield that holds the shield open slightly. I don't have any way of knowing when the wind force will overcome the holding power of the nub
4) I had to tape the two side knobs that held the shield on. One had a tendency to pop off. Has anyone had a problem with the shield retaining pieces for the C3? The release mechanism is similar to Shoei, so there is no external piece to pop off
5) I have tucked the old-style HARD C-232 battery unit between the neck roll and bottom of the liner on my C2. Is there a similar space between the neck roll and the liner on the C3? Yes, that same gap still exists

aprilian screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 06:52 PM
aprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #215
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,338
Just bought a C3 last night at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show and rode it home from LB to San Clemente. I tried on a XXL (a sample or "tester" lid I believe...) that seemed way too big so I bought the XL. I have always worn Shoei helmets, and XXL was always the size - I have a big melon...

The first thing I noticed was the strap digging into my throat when I looked down at my gauges. I had to stop and try to readjust the buckle. It was very uncomfortable. I made it a bit better after the adjustment, but it still bothered me on the ride back.

The second thing I noticed was the whistling of the top of the shield at speed. My X-12 (notably the noisiest helmet on the planet) has never whistled unless the shield was not fully closed at the top. On the X-12, one in maybe 100 or so shield closures required me to push down on the top of the shield to cure the slight whistling. I could push down on the top of the C3 shield and the whistling would stop, but as soon as I let go, it would come back. I have to look at the manual today and see if there is an adjustment for how tight the shield sits against the seal around the face opening. This may be just an adjustment issue.

The last issue I had in my ride home last night was the chin vent was directing the air straight into my eyes. This issue may be a helmet sizing issue, as I believe the XL is actually too small for me, and I need to exchange it for the XXL. This would move the chin piece slightly due to the larger size and most likely direct the air elsewhere. I'll have to see about that.

The one thing I have read about these helmets that I am actually worried about is water intrusion during wet weather riding. I commute every day and will be pretty pissed if this $700 helmet leaks.

YMMV...
Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #216
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
Just bought a C3 last night at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show and rode it home from LB to San Clemente. I tried on a XXL (a sample or "tester" lid I believe...) that seemed way too big so I bought the XL. I have always worn Shoei helmets, and XXL was always the size - I have a big melon...

The first thing I noticed was the strap digging into my throat when I looked down at my gauges. I had to stop and try to readjust the buckle. It was very uncomfortable. I made it a bit better after the adjustment, but it still bothered me on the ride back.

The second thing I noticed was the whistling of the top of the shield at speed. My X-12 (notably the noisiest helmet on the planet) has never whistled unless the shield was not fully closed at the top. On the X-12, one in maybe 100 or so shield closures required me to push down on the top of the shield to cure the slight whistling. I could push down on the top of the C3 shield and the whistling would stop, but as soon as I let go, it would come back. I have to look at the manual today and see if there is an adjustment for how tight the shield sits against the seal around the face opening. This may be just an adjustment issue.

The last issue I had in my ride home last night was the chin vent was directing the air straight into my eyes. This issue may be a helmet sizing issue, as I believe the XL is actually too small for me, and I need to exchange it for the XXL. This would move the chin piece slightly due to the larger size and most likely direct the air elsewhere. I'll have to see about that.

The one thing I have read about these helmets that I am actually worried about is water intrusion during wet weather riding. I commute every day and will be pretty pissed if this $700 helmet leaks.

YMMV...

I bought this helmet last year and since them I did over 15000kms with it under rain, snow and all kind of weather conditions. It's save to say that this helmet is not leaking. I also have the SRC system and it's just perfect. When someone is calling me they don't believe that I'm actually rinding on my bike. If one day I'd have to change it, it would be for the same helmet. And if one day I'm rich I'll be going with the C3 Carbon

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #217
bearauto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:

YMMV...
May I ask how much you paid at the show for the helmet? The best deal they offered me was $650 out the door.
bearauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #218
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearauto View Post
May I ask how much you paid at the show for the helmet? The best deal they offered me was $650 out the door.
you can ask, but what they offered you was a better price than I got... and I was happy with what I paid, which was retail with no tax... (fixed) I really should have asked for more since I also bought the SRC bluetooth setup too.

macadamia screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 02:43 PM Reason: fixed statement about what I paid for the helmet...
macadamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #219
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Just bought a C3 last night at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show (snip)
Update... I rode to work this morning with the helmet. The strap is still digging into my throat, so when I get home tonight, I'll see if I can adjust it using the mirror to see where the chin strap is in relation to where it is on my Shoei. I think since the C3 is a modular helmet, the chin sits a bit lower on the face and the chin strap is naturally back a bit further than on the Shoei. I'm still going to head to their shop in Irvine on Monday to see if the next size larger sits better on my throat.

Has anyone else had this issue and had it go away?

Also, has anyone else had the issue with the whistling shield? Is there a way to adjust it? I did not bring the owner's manual to work, but I think there is one on their website. I'll have to check later today...
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #220
red-line
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quite impressed with Schuberth...

You know how when you fill out your warranty card, you very rarely, if ever, expect to hear anything back from a manufacturer? Not so with Schuberth...

In the mail today I received a cardboard mailer from Schuberth. My first thought was, oh wow, some sort of software update for my SRC system... I was quite surprised since I had not heard of any update... anyhow I digress.

Upon opening the mailer, I was quite surprised to read a welcome letter as a charter member of the Schuberth Owners of North America. Along with the letter was a business card-size stainless steel USB data storage unit that serves as my membership card and comes pre-loaded with a bunch of Schuberth/SRC related stuff.

I took pics... lookie here:

I have been nothing but impressed by Schuberth as a company.

Earlier this summer, I had a problem with a speaker that had become intermittent on my SRC system. Since I am in Canada, and the SRC system had been purchased in the USA, my local Schuberth dealer was not willing to help out with warranty issues even after Schuberth had explicitly asked them to in my case... Nonetheless, to help me out, Schuberth proceeded to express-ship a replacement unit to me from California with only a verbal promise from me that I return the defective unit upon receipt.

Truly a remarkable company in terms of customer focus, and a great over-all product.

:)
red-line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #221
AlexFIA
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Painful - Keep or Sell?

I bought my C3 helmet in the winter and wore it three times. It is by far the most expensive torture device I have ever purchased (no that I buy torture devices often). I normally wear a size medium helmet (mainly Shoei but used to use Arai), but everyone to include the Schuberth rep said to get the small since it fit the best around my forehead. Fit great, felt great in the store, even kept it on for a bit as I walked around the store. I was so happy, I wore it home. Unfortunately, I live more than 30 minutes from the dealer, and 30 minutes is about the point that it kicks in. Its like a bone crusher on my forehead. I talked to the dealer and they said they could mold it to my head shape (the ol' spoon trick). Worried about voiding a warranty, I called Schuberth who told me don't it. They recommended I wear it more often and assured me that it would break in. After three painful attempts, I give in. I'm not one for paying $700 (plus the California-no-one-else-pays-their-taxes-so-we had-to-raise-sales-tax-to-ridiculous-almost-NY-like-levels sales tax) for something that crushes my skull in hopes it will break in. It broke me. If I have to take it off when I stop every 2 hours, then why even get a flip-up?

I've read through these posts and seen some who stuck it out (for A LOT of miles) and are happy with the helmet. My issue is that I'm not super happy with all aspects. I like the visor but it does not seem to go low enough. It is definitely quieter in clean air, but it is tough to find the ideal spot behind a windscreen. Like many, the chin strap digs into my neck, and it never feels like I can find a happy medium between rotating it forward to allow some room for my chin, or rotating it back to keep the strap from digging into my neck. I might sound like I have some freakishly shaped head, but it seemed pretty normal until I bought this helmet. Maybe I just don't have a "Schuberth Head".

So now I am at a point where the helmet is practically new and I could sell it someone who will actually use it, or risk wearing it longer in hopes of it breaking in. I would hate to have a $700 helmet sit on my shelf un-used. This is my first flip-up and I chose the Schuberth because of the low noise, reputation, and built in visor, but I'm wishing I had bought the Shoei Qwest as originally planned.

I guess I'm wanting someone to talk me off the ledge by assuring me it will all be ok, or for reality to just hit me on the head (without the helmet on) and sell it.
AlexFIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #222
johnpgs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My first few rides with my C3 found the helmet too tight around the top of my head causing enough pressure to be painful after 30 min or so. My C3 is a medium, after to talking to the good folks at Schuberth, I ended up with a size large top liner ($50.00) in my medium helmet which has made it super comfortable. You did not mention what size your C3 is, but just a thought.
johnpgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #223
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
I wanted to like the helmet, but I finally gave up trying to be comfortable in the C3 and mine is now for sale on fleabay. I am sure that they are comfortable for the right noggin, but mine isn't it. Features and construction are top notch. The most comfortable helmet for me has been the Arai Quantum (round oval) helmet and that is what I have gone back to.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #224
jdc_va_usmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Now that riding season is here, I'm back to getting strange looks for about the first 30 minutes of work each morning.

Does anyone know if Schuberth sells an updated liner that doesn't mar your forehead?

"Long live the United States, and success to the Marines!"

jdc_va_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #225
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
a couple of weeks ago i replaced my old helmet with a new Schuberth C3, size small. it was no quieter then the Shoei Quest it replaced. i spoke to my local dealer where i bought it and they had me try on a side extra small. i immediately noticed how it muted the sounds in the showroom. i was told that once it breaks in it will fit like a small. i honestly couldn't be happier. it is so quiet i don't wear ear plugs for my local riding, but if i had to ride 8-10 hrs on the interstate i would definately want to where ear plugs. at first the helmet was tight but i have to say it is breaking in nicely and gets more comfortable every time i wear it. i still get the red mark on the center of my forehead but even that is slowly diminishing. overall i am very impressed with the helmet. i love the internal sun visor as i do not have to carry an extra face shield with me when i ride to work in the dark in the AM. although not really a big deal but switching to a tinted face shield before the ride home was just one more thing to do before leaving work. and on the odd occassion when i would be in a hurry and forget to bring a tinted face shield the ride home in bright sunlight was a bitch. having had pin locks on a few previous helmets i am completely sold on them. having only had helmets with D rings it took me a little while to get used to the closeure system on the C3, but after using it for a little while i am really liking it. it makes removing the helmet quick and easy. $699 + tax is a lot of money to spend on a helmet but for me i feel it was money well spent.

Quote:
Does anyone know if Schuberth sells an updated liner that doesn't mar your forehead?

nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote