Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #256
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
It's darker.

I regularly ride with a dark smoke visor and sunglasses.

I find that individually, a dark smoke shield or a pair of sunglasses aren't dark enough. In combination, they're perfect for my sensitive eyes.
+1
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #257
jdc_va_usmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Sun Visor Failure while riding

I had a fun little sun visor failure this morning with my C3.

While riding on I-495, I put my internal sun visor down and felt a small object hit me in the cheek. I also noticed that the sun visor was loose on one side, flopping around inside the helmet, and couldn't be retracted. When I got off at the next exit to see what was going on, I noticed a piece of the clip that holds the sun visor in place broke off, and the visor came loose (pic below). I have never removed or replaced the internal visor, so there is no reason for it to have been damaged or overstressed in any way.

This comes shortly after Schuberth provided a warranty replacement for my liner after it started coming apart at the seams. Helmet is almost exactly 1 year old. Needless to say, my disappointment with this helmet continues to grow. Schuberth customer support was very helpful with the liner issue, so we'll see what they say about this one.

Keep an eye on your visor clips, and while the internal sun visor replacement seems like it would be pretty straightforward, I'd recommend handling them very carefully.

JDC

"Long live the United States, and success to the Marines!"

jdc_va_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #258
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,293
Neotec, Neotec, NEotec, NEOtec, NEOTec, NEOTEc, NEOTEC

Ok, that was tacky. I am feeling less depressed at having my ill fiting (Mark of Schuberth Forehead Dent), throat strangling ratchet buckled, mediocre integrated bluetooth, hideously overpriced helmet stolen before it could start to fall apart....replaced with new Shoei Neotec with Sena BT which is so far working pretty well. Time will tell.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #259
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 12:05 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #260
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Last year I had some issues with my C3/SRC leaking in torrential rain, and with the visor not remaining open a hair at speeds above 25mph. Schuberth said that was "as designed." IMO that sucked, as it made the helmet insufferably hot in muggy conditions.

This year, after resolving the leakage issue and implementing the felt disk workaround so the visor stays open till about 50mph, I wore it on my 4k ride to and from the MOA Rally in Missouri. Yeah, the Bluetooth still sucks but since I don't listen to music while riding it was good enough for turn by turn Zumo directions. But overall, with the visor "fix," it was the most comfortable long distance helmet I've ever worn. I know the sun visor isn't dark enough for many, but for me the ability to ride without sunglasses wearing raw spots on the bridge of my nose and the top of my ears was a godsend!

Lovin' this helmet now.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #261
tkb
Mr. Britten's bike

Oddometer: 177
Fixes for C3 Visor slamming shut and hard to click fully closed

1. Fixes for wind blowing visor closed: 8mm O-ring, 1 inch felt chair slider--2 in a stack, DVD white foam ring, all work to add friction to the visor so that the wind does not so easily push the visor closed. Position all of these fixes as shown in the post on this thread showing the installation of a white DVD foam ring. Someone on the BMWMOA forum claims the the felt chair slider works great, and I personally use a 8mm O-ring on each side of the visor, adds just enough friction for me..

2. Difficult to snap visor closed--takes two hands. Try pulling down on the front top on the visor in the middle. I have found that I can snap the visor fully closed this way with one hand and a bit of a jerk.

Caution: When you start compressing or cutting away the EPS foam in the C3 trying for a better fit, you are degrading the impact protection of the helmet, how much is the critical question.
tkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #262
TimeTo Ride
ALLAN

Oddometer: 17
I'm having a change of heart on this helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTo Ride View Post
Bought my C3 in May, sent it away for warranty work in June (sun visor was stuck), put a few miles on it and could not live with the visor always coming down. It would flip down completely or half way without notice due to the buffeting behind a stock windscreen on a 1200 GS. Went on a 5000km trip in June/July and left it at home, I want the visor up unless it is raining.
I've put a 1" O-ring between the visor and the attachment point and it all seems good, on the GS anyway, not sure about speed on a naked bike. The o-ring is just a little large for the circle and goes around the two detent tabs on the visor which keeps it in place while you put the visor on.
Like the helmet, feels good, large size, no mark of Shuberth, sun shade is nice (vibes a bit but have tuned that out), some electric tape on the bottom of the visor works like a ball cap when up and will by another for my wife along with the radios.
Al
Helmet is broken again! It is the same problem as the fist time when it was away for a month for warranty. This one has me pissed, it's been put together twice with a flaw of some sort and I don't want to lose another month of a six month riding season.
After showing it to the dealer he contacted Shubert to get a replacement helmet. They talked to several people before getting through to a warranty person who seems to think the problem is on my end, guess hitting it with a hammer was not the thing to do. It's happened twice and I would think they would want to see the helmet.
So now they want the thing for another month, I've given away my other (good? ) helmet. And will now always wait for it to go the third time, still under warranty. If I'm a little llucky.
There I've said it. Feeling better now!
TimeTo Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #263
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post

Darth Xeraux Very nice helmet.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #264
BMWORBUST
Banned

Oddometer: 499
After going through many helmets over the years for race cars, ATV's and our motorcycles, we decided to get a C3 and C3W. These are by far the best helmets we've owned. They are quiet and extremely comfortable, the light weight is a huge bonus for our extended use. I visually examined many helmets and the Schuberth has fit and fit that is second to none.

We are extremely please with our choice, so far.
BMWORBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #265
bkniegge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Schuberth C3

Ditto on the good points.... My ears love it too...
bkniegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #266
Xeraux
Archvillain

After recovering from a broken left hand enough to finally ride the bike yesterday, I took the C3 out for a spin.

I liked it.

I guess I have a "Schuby" head because it was very comfortable. No pressure points and the chinstrap didn't choke me.

The tinted shield in combination with the retractable visor was nice. Got plenty dark without having to mess with sunglasses and when we got into very shady parts of the road, all I had to do was retract the sun visor and I could see very well!

It wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be, though. I don't think it's a whole lot quieter than my XD3.

All in all, it's a comfortable helmet.

YMMV

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #267
BMWORBUST
Banned

Oddometer: 499
Now after riding with the C3's for quite some time they are broken in. Fit us perfectly, my wife will not consider another helmet unless it's as good as this one she says.

So comfortable it's amazing. We love this choice of gear.
BMWORBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #268
zigyphoto
Pay attention

Oddometer: 903
strap ratchet pain solution

i had a terrible time with the metal ratchet piece digging into my larynx and finally got a solution from the Loveland CO
BMW dealer (thanks!):

the location of the buckle can be adjusted by from one side only, and that allowed me to move it about 1/2 - 3/4 inch to the side, thus saving my throat. i also was reassured that i did not have to make the strap as tight as i had been used to because this model (and i've been wearing the BMW (= Schuberth made helmets exclusively for at least the last 15 years) has been designed to not come off easily in an accident even with the strap not as tight as i had been used to.
zigyphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #269
Xeraux
Archvillain

Put about 1,000 miles on my C3 this weekend.

Again, no problem in the forehead area. In that respect, it's about as comfortable of a helmet as I've worn.

The cheek pads, on the otherhand, are going to take a little more time to break in. After about 500 miles, my cheeks ached.

I really like the combination of dark shield with the drop-drop down visor. It's plenty dark without having to wear sunglasses.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #270
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I just had to post this review from helmetsunblocker.com.......

I saw you guys last year at the BMW Ga Mountain Rally. You installed one of your Helmet Sunblockers on my Schuberth helmet which has the internal drop down sun visor. I really wasted my money...not on the Sunblocker, but on the Schubert helmet! I never use the drop down visor anymore. The sunblocker works better and I don't have to look through it or fumble to find the lever. I just got to tell you its a great product where I can just put on my helmet and go. Anybody want to buy an almost new Schuberth?
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote