Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Traveling Man OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Tugeaux View Post
Thanks for the review. Does the inner sun visor stay put? I read a review somewhere that the visor would drop down when hitting a bump - any issue with this?

Here's another take-it-with-you bag alternative: http://www.gibson-barnes.com/index.p...39&prod_id=181

I don't see a shoulder strap - you'd probably have to improvise one. I'm not affiliated, but have bought jackets, flight suits, gloves, skull caps, etc. from them and it's quality stuff.

Tim
Tim,

I have had the helmet about 2 weeks now and I have had no issue with the visor dropping down. One of my pleasant surprises has been the tinted visor and it's usability due to being able to set it to any position I need. As I work the visor now it does not feel sloppy or the least bit loose. I was told that the slide on the side of the helmet is connected with a rod to the visor. There feels like there is plenty of friction right now, not even close to being loose.

2011 R1200GSA
2006 Harley Road Glide
Traveling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #17
Traveling Man OP
Adventurer

Warm weather and Schuberth C3

I am thinking this helmet is going to be warmer than most. There isn't any airflow inside the helmet except through the venting. When cracking open the visor it helps considerably but you could only due this if you were behind a decent windshield. The venting is excellent but what makes this helmet so quiet is probably going to make it a little warmer during hot weather.

So far I have only used it in 82 degree Florida sunshine. No problem when riding, once stopped or slow speeds I have to at least partially open the visor to be comfortable.

2011 R1200GSA
2006 Harley Road Glide
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #18
Miles Tugeaux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
Tim,

I have had the helmet about 2 weeks now and I have had no issue with the visor dropping down. One of my pleasant surprises has been the tinted visor and it's usability due to being able to set it to any position I need. As I work the visor now it does not feel sloppy or the least bit loose. I was told that the slide on the side of the helmet is connected with a rod to the visor. There feels like there is plenty of friction right now, not even close to being loose.
Thanks Steve. The visor is one of the big attractions for me. It's good to know it works well.

Tim
Miles Tugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
We bought a couple of these(GF's womens model just arrived) and like them. Had my Scala installed as I just couldn't handle the pain of buying the integrated one when I own a couple already. My guess is that having the Scala mounted to the outside causes some wind noise which will push me to getting the built in model. As others have said the tinted visor is sweet, there are times when going slow I lift the shield and just run the visor.
Eastview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
anyone with a 'round' arai profile head own a schuberth c3?

how does it fit?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #21
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post

how does it fit?
I went from an Arai QuantumII , not sure if that was the "round" profile.
2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore(sold)Replaced with 2002 Foggy Monster
Eastview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #22
ridesdirt
Ya, it's a bimmer

Oddometer: 147
How are the C3's with wearing glasses? Any feedback on long rides with glasses?

Thanks..

ridesdirt screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 05:55 PM
ridesdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
No issues with glasses. One of the reasons for getting a modular. Depending on the snugness of your frame temples and how they round the ears you may find them pulled slightly downward when putting the helmet on but that's easy to adjust afterward. Regarding the bluetooth, if you have no current system you really should consider the built-in SRC which further eliminates buffeting and noise -- another reason you bought the Schuberth originally.

Schuberth Sale for ADVriders
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 68
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post

how does it fit?
I ordered the 2XL HiViz today...I sized off the Arai Quantum II, which took the place of the Arai Astral...head shape for these helmets is between round and oval, stated by arai as "round oval" . If I remember from watching Revzilla video they stated this intermediate head shape yielded the best fit with the Schuberth but don't quote me on this.
But I will know for sure in a couple of days. You can bet I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will fit well. My anxiety comes from the fact one of the reasons I am ordering the Schuberth is I did not "try before I buy/bought" the last helmet and I ended up with an Arai which, (totally my fault) was on the edge of to small and after a year of making due I decided to take the plunge for the Schuberth.
Not really wild about going down the highway with a big yellow ball on my head (I'll look like a damn sunflower) but I am totally convinced the HiViz is one of the best things a rider can do to increase his/her visibility.
I currently have a HiViz jacket and have been amazed watching the reactions of people coming at me or pulling up from intersecting roads on the left or right. The HiViz "makes" them see you. After 27 years of riding with flashing lights, alternating tail lights, honking as I pass, brights on all the time and on and on HiViz has had a more dramatic impact on making me visible than anything I have tried. So bumblebee or not I'm in and will remain in.
Sorry I got off the subject.
dave
P.S.will post my impression of the helmet when it arrives...keeping my fingers crossed
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #25
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesdirt View Post
How are the C3's with wearing glasses? Any feedback on long rides with glasses?

Thanks..
I did a 600 mile day with mine and no problems with wearing glasses. A great helmet, except for the pressure on my forehead, that made me sell the helmet, but glasses, no problem.
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #26
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStar View Post
I just bought a C3 from Long Beach BMW roughly 12 days ago and have logged about 1000 miles in it going back and forth from Vegas to LA and also Vegas to Death Valley.

My previous / other helmet is a Shoei Hornet DS. I plan to use the Hornet still for primary off-road trips and the C3 for slabbing it type trips.

I definitely like the Hornet but in the last eight months I've developed some inner ear problems not related to helmet noise (I always wear plugs) but at this point I'm trying everything I can to minimize any aggravation to my left ear.

The C3 is clearly quieter hands down compared to the Hornet but you'd expect it to be. When I stand in the wind at even 80 mph it's just a light wisp as the airstream moves around the helmet. Seated on my GSA I still get some buffeting noise but again nothing like the Hornet.

The included Pinlock anti-fog shield and one pin on mine was loose from the beginning but an email to Schuberth US got a quick response and a immediate replacement. The loose Pinlock would vibrate down as I rode. The new one stays in place perfectly. Living in Las Vegas we are so dry that fogging is never an issue but I do travel so I'll store it and use it as needed.

One note on the Pinlock is that at night it causes fairly significant double glare imaging of oncoming headlights but that was in LA rush hour traffic. Still it was bad enough that I deemed it not safe at night unless of course fogging would be worse.

The sun visor system absolutely ROCKS! While I have dark and clear visors for my Hornet I was constantly riding home at night with a dark visor. Now I just flip it up on the C3. The tint and optics are great. It is easily removed for cleaning as is the regular visor.

Like the previous poster I got headaches the first week which I didn't really attribute to the helmet until a few days passed. It eased up on my trip to LA this week and there were no headaches but after three hours or so I was ready to take it off and welcomed a pee break for both reasons.

The ventilation is very good but I've only ridden in temps up to 90 degs F in the last week. I do have my reservations how it will be in our 105+ deg summer temps here in the desert Southwest.

I also am just getting used to physically handling a non-beak / visored helmet with a totally exposed front visor. The sun beak or whatever it is called on my Hornet offered some protection of the clear visor from accidental helmet tips.

This is my first modular helmet and I have to say being able to lift the face to talk, drink out of a water bottle, snack or spit is great. Still learning to get it reseated and locked one-handed.

My next project this week with it is to get my Autocom system mounted inside. Since I already have Autocom in my Hornet I ordered a second headset / mic / speaker kit so I didn't have to swap them from helmet to helmet.

Yes it was expensive but a helmet not only provides an essential safety function, it provides comfort, visual and communication functions. My added motivation was a quieter ride and it has delivered on all accounts.

Again, my only concern is how it will be in 105+ deg temps not that much of anything feels "cool" at that point but that is summer riding here.

RobStar
I too have a DS Hornet (going on 4 years) and like it a lot but am really looking at making a change. I tried on the C3 at the IMS and am pleased with the fit, my chin is fairly "Lenoesque" and my hornet fits me perfectly, but the C3 seems like it would work, do you mind me asking what size DS you wear?
1981 CB900C
I'm not a glass half empty or full guy, I am just happy to have the damn glass!
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #27
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
I am thinking this helmet is going to be warmer than most. There isn't any airflow inside the helmet except through the venting. When cracking open the visor it helps considerably but you could only due this if you were behind a decent windshield. The venting is excellent but what makes this helmet so quiet is probably going to make it a little warmer during hot weather.

So far I have only used it in 82 degree Florida sunshine. No problem when riding, once stopped or slow speeds I have to at least partially open the visor to be comfortable.
March MCN tested the C3. Came out a hands-down winner. They noted it had very good airflow -- so it should be cool in hot climes.

I've had good luck securing helmets and protective gear to my bike w/retractable cable locks. Here's one:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDMQ8wIwAA#

There just so happens to be a test on cable locks, specifically to secure helmets in the March MCN as well.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #28
Traveling Man OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognosticator View Post
I did a 600 mile day with mine and no problems with wearing glasses. A great helmet, except for the pressure on my forehead, that made me sell the helmet, but glasses, no problem.
Just curious how long you used the helmet before selling it? I had the pressure point problem but it did go away after using the helmet for a few weeks and 1500 miles.

2011 R1200GSA
2006 Harley Road Glide
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #29
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognosticator View Post
Appreciate you sold the helmet rather than taking advantage of some 30-day return policy.

Schuberth Sale for ADVriders
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #30
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,824
I like this helmet a lot but I too am having the pressure point at the top of my forehead. Really gives me a headache too. I took a spoon to put a little dip in the foam but that is not working. The liner in the helmet has a seam and bulge right there and leave a big ole mark on my forehead when I take it off. I hope I can get this worked out and not have to sell the thing.

It is quiet. I stood up on some dirt last weekend and got out from behind the shield and it was totally quiet and I didn't feel the wind like with my Scorpion 900.