ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #316
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
I think you will find that the helmet does not fit properly. That's why you and your mates had the forehead issue.
You got that right, just need to get a mate to whack a 1/2" concave in the front of your skull with a ball pein hammer.

So many have issues and now there is an updated liner, a design issue for sure.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #317
rhafe123
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 82
I returned mine.

Probably could have made it work with the new liner and thicker cheek pads. But, that would have pushed the price up to $800. Got a Nolan N-104. Fits better., Not as well made as the Schuberth, but not too shabby either, Took it out on a 200 miles test ride today and I'm very satisfied with $350 left over.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #318
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,868
Interesting to hear about this "design flaw" with the liner. The one I bought 16 months ago fits me well. Could this not be simply a case of head shape differences? In my 35 years of riding, I have definitely had helmets whose liners created pressure points until I took my thumbs and pressed in on the liner a bit in those areas. Isn't that just how one fine tunes the fit of any helmet?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug 20% off: http://www.smugmug.com/signup/?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #319
rhafe123
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Interesting to hear about this "design flaw" with the liner. The one I bought 16 months ago fits me well. Could this not be simply a case of head shape differences? In my 35 years of riding, I have definitely had helmets whose liners created pressure points until I took my thumbs and pressed in on the liner a bit in those areas. Isn't that just how one fine tunes the fit of any helmet?
For me, I just didn't want to invest more money in a helmet that already cost $700. If my head was a touch shorter I'm sure it would not have been a problem. It's a great helmet, just didn't fit me.
rhafe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #320
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhafe123 View Post
For me, I just didn't want to invest more money in a helmet that already cost $700. If my head was a touch shorter I'm sure it would not have been a problem. It's a great helmet, just didn't fit me.
I really like the Schuberth both myself and my wife have one with the comms package installed but we both had this issue. In addition I have met many people that have the same problem. Would be interesting to know the %age of users that have the problem but not worth the effort to find out.

I preferred to modify the liner rather than the foam as it has no structural impact and is easier when your on the road. After cutting the offending piece out of mine it became very comfortable. Just need to tidy it up a bit to stop it unraveling, I'll probably use mole skin as suggested somewhere on here.

Hard to believe that such a small piece of material can cause so much pain.

I've never had that issue before, anyway seems to be easily sorted if a bit brutal on an expensive lid.

In terms of breaking it in, I rode about 4000 miles and still had major issues so at that point something had to be done. The simple changes I made worked well, if anyone is still suffering give it a try.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #321
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Florida Panhandle
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post

I preferred to modify the liner rather than the foam as it has no structural impact and is easier when your on the road. After cutting the offending piece out of mine it became very comfortable. Just need to tidy it up a bit to stop it unraveling, I'll probably use mole skin as suggested somewhere on here.

Hard to believe that such a small piece of material can cause so much pain.


In terms of breaking it in, I rode about 4000 miles and still had major issues so at that point something had to be done. The simple changes I made worked well, if anyone is still suffering give it a try.

dave
What part did you cut out, the little flap that covers the vent? I've formed a small indention in the foam on mine but it still hurts after 2 hours or so.
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #322
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer
 
steveWFL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHanson View Post
Some of you people are beyond belief...
Hey - Its the Internetz

I'm picking up a C3 tomorrow (or ordering one if they don't have my size) and this thread has been a great read
__________________
KTM EXC - in 530 flavor
'10 Concours14 with >85,000 miles and ticking'
'99 ZX9R Ninja - rolling retro style
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #323
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer
 
Don Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Southwestern Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I looked into it once, and they will send you a wax mold that you warm up and mold to the shape of your head, then ship it to them. Not expensive at all.
This sounds interesting, but i just looked at the Gentex site- their helmets cost around $1500 and ask for circumference and length measurement. It was probably an unsustainable economic model for reasons that acejones alluded to...
__________________
'06 F650GS Dakar
The biggest lies are concealed by a great number of petty truths.

Don Coyote screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 12:00 PM
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #324
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer
 
Don Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Southwestern Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 1,078
Just picked up a C3. It was shelf model on sale and i didn't get the original box package. They gave me a C3pro manual for one thing. What else comes in the box?

I got a helmet bag, but no Pinlock insert. I'm assuming a helmet like this would come with the insert? Also i thought i read about another piece for the chin curtain or something that it came with but wasn't pre-assembled. Am i thinking of the C3pro or something?
__________________
'06 F650GS Dakar
The biggest lies are concealed by a great number of petty truths.
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #325
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Just picked up a C3. It was shelf model on sale and i didn't get the original box package. They gave me a C3pro manual for one thing. What else comes in the box?

I got a helmet bag, but no Pinlock insert. I'm assuming a helmet like this would come with the insert? Also i thought i read about another piece for the chin curtain or something that it came with but wasn't pre-assembled. Am i thinking of the C3pro or something?
I'd email Phil at Schuberth USA and ask politely, maybe he'd send you an insert. They've been good to me.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #326
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer
 
Don Coyote's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Southwestern Great Lakes Region
Oddometer: 1,078
I talked to the BMW dealer i got it from and they said the other boxes they have didn't include inserts, but they would give me one, as well as exchange manuals. Just wondering if there was something else included in box?
__________________
'06 F650GS Dakar
The biggest lies are concealed by a great number of petty truths.
Don Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #327
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
I talked to the BMW dealer i got it from and they said the other boxes they have didn't include inserts, but they would give me one, as well as exchange manuals. Just wondering if there was something else included in box?
Looks like your dealer is looting the inserts. Those helmets are all supposed to come equipped with them.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #328
Weljo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Norwalk,CA.
Oddometer: 34
Came close to getting the C3 but bumped into a guy on a ride that had one. I asked him if the helmet was worth it because i was about to get one. He said straight out "Save Your Money" Its way over rated. His wife got him his for christmas so he has to wear it for a while...When i carry to much stuff to get my helmet or jacket in the top case i use this...http://www.amazon.com/Lockstraps-901...rds=helmetlock
Weljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #329
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weljo View Post
Came close to getting the C3 but bumped into a guy on a ride that had one. I asked him if the helmet was worth it because i was about to get one. He said straight out "Save Your Money" Its way over rated. His wife got him his for christmas so he has to wear it for a while...When i carry to much stuff to get my helmet or jacket in the top case i use this...http://www.amazon.com/Lockstraps-901...rds=helmetlock
Helmets are very personal things, and what he doesn't like may please others.

Schuberth C3s are better for those with a round head, and if his was oval, he probably wouldn't like it. His big mistake was letting his wife buy it without him trying one on first. I own one, and I think it's the best helmet I've ever owned.

So, why would you condemn one here based on the word of one stranger?
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #330
Luckycharms
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Southeast Pa
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weljo View Post
Came close to getting the C3 but bumped into a guy on a ride that had one. I asked him if the helmet was worth it because i was about to get one. He said straight out "Save Your Money" Its way over rated. His wife got him his for christmas so he has to wear it for a while...When i carry to much stuff to get my helmet or jacket in the top case i use this...http://www.amazon.com/Lockstraps-901...rds=helmetlock
I couldn't disagree more. I've owned 4 helmets in 9 years of riding and my C3 is so much better then my other helmets in every category it's laughable.
Luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014