Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #91
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,261
I'm comfortable in all Arai long oval shaped helmets like the Profile, Signet, etc, but as reported above, I feel the C3 helmet pressing in on my forehead.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #92
Luckycharms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
rob I also own an Arai Quantum 2 which was my everyday helmet until the C3. The C3 fits my head better then the Quantum which leads me to believe I have a slightly round to round headshape. I think the C3 would be a good fit for you. Find a dealer and see if you can go try one on.

I don't know of ANY manufacturer that makes the same exact helmet in different headshapes. Anyone else know?
Luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #93
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
I've got a long oval head, and the Schuberth C3 doesn't fit me.

Fortunately there is a solution. The BMW System 6 is basically a C3, with a few design tweaks. One of these is that it's a much narrower fit than the Schuberth.

It also comes in a tasteful Aaargh My Eyes yellow.

I don't know what differences have been made in comparison to the C3, but it scored four stars out of five, to the Schuberth's three.

The only downside is that it's not available in carbon...
Graemsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #94
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,438
Has anyone compared the weight of the C3 to the C3 Carbon? Any idea when (or if) we'll see the Carbon available in the U.S.?

The weight of my last two Schuberth helmets (original Concept and S1) has me hesitant to order a C3.

How's the overall shell size on a C3, say compared to a Shoei X11/X12? I put on my S1 for the first time in a few years and it was like wearing a space helmet compared to the X11.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #95
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Up to size large (58-59cm) the C3 shell is nice and compact, the use a larger shell fo XL and up. There is another thread in the vendor section that discusses carbon availability...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #96
Phactory Phil
n00b

Oddometer: 5
In my defense...

All,

Please understand that we at Schuberth are very concerned about the perception of our product in the market, and would love to be able to make every helmet fit every head, but as we all know that just isn't possible.

Remember the days when you either had an "Arai Head" or a "Shoei Head"? Well, apparently there is a "Schuberth Head". As a motorcycle rider first, I think it's important to relay honest information to my "brothers" on the road. Yes, the helmet contacts my forehead. No, it does not cause me discomfort. Could I see how it could cause others discomfort? Absolutely. Again, this is why the in-store fitting is so critical. I have more than once told people that the helmet just isn't right for them.

And on that subject, I brought it up on purpose, because of the very real possibility that the helmet was purchased from an online retailer. I would be very curious to know who the selling dealer was.

Regarding break-in time, there is probably a pretty significant difference in the EPS in the more affordable examples. Poke your fingernail into another helmet and then ours. If the same concerns existed in a different helmet, the EPS would likely yield more quickly, shaping to your head faster. The multi-density EPS we use is much more advanced, and will take longer to adjust. Is 1.5 hours enough? 3? 8? It's hard to say. Miles and time combined will make it change, though.

I respet the fact that the price of the helmet is on the high side. I just don't really know what to offer in terms of fit adjustments. We are reporting failures and market concerns back to the factory on a regular basis, but any redesign of the helmet is a very time consuming process, and then we run the risk of making it a poor fit for another group of riders.

I want to thank all of you for your comments and insights. As I mentioned, we are listening, and passing the information on to the designers and engineers, and I can assure you that we will let everyone know if and when there is a change.

Our brand is strong, our product is a good one and in demand. The C3 is a new product that is making its place in the market, and It's unfortunate that it can't be the one answer for everyone.

Please keep in touch, and we'll continue to share your voice with the team across the pond.

Phil
Phactory Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #97
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
Thanks for the narrative, I'm currently having the same exact issue with a C3 I bought about 2 weeks ago. Most everyone has suggested depressing the 'styrofoam' (behind the liner) more around the offending area to relieve pressure, but I believe the issue is the helmet liner itself and more specifically the 'rough seam' as you have pointed out. I've never had a helmet fitment issue which made itself known only after extended wearing, if the initial fit was right the helmet has always continued to be a bit snug as it broke in but no 'hot spots'. Love the C3 helmet, but for $700 the liner should not have an obvious irritation area particularly in the forehead area. Anyway, sent off a message to Schuberth.de and USA to see if they are aware and have a solution in place.
I totally agree with your statement. As you can see by "kool-aid" Phil's post we obviously do not have a Shuberth head. I have never seen such a seam as the C3 has right at a pressure point. I truly believe if the liner was constructed differently it would work for me. But, God forbid he admits it's a flaw. Like I said in my previous post, I did try the helmet on at my local BMW dealer and wore it for about 10 minutes. In those 10 minutes the helmet felt fine to me so according to Phil the only real way to test it is wear it for an extended period of time. Under that premise I suppose I should have asked the dealer if it was OK if I took the helmet for 4 hours or so and took a little test ride to see if it would work. Do you think they would go for that? Maybe since this helmet has such a premium price they should consider some sort of extended test fit program.

I am happy for the few who have said it fits great with no issues. I know I am not alone with the seam issue, I have seen many complaints on this and other forums. Oh well lesson learned, I spent $700.00 on what I thought was a premium product. I ended up losing $100.00 when I sold it. I thought for that price I would get better customer service instead of basically being blamed for buying their product and that I should contact the dealer who sold me the helmet for a refund.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #98
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

I ordered a spare liner from Revzilla and will customize it to my needs. No need for Schuberth to get involved for me, I don't expect them to know my head shape and bumps.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #99
Thorvald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Can anyone comment on the SRC and be able to leave the chin guard / cover in place?

I'm currently using a G4 stuck on the side, boom fits reasonablly well inside but is a little close to the mouth. Just have to open it up and push it tight against the chin guard and it's fine.

I'd like to try the SRC but the last thing I want is to make this helmet "less" quiet and all the posts/reviews I've seen on the SRC indicates they have had to remove the chin curtain.

Thanks
Tim
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #100
Phactory Phil
n00b

Kool Aid

Scott,

I am in no way placing blame on anyone. My questions and concerns are based on what little information I was initially provided, basically, "my head hurts, what should I do?".

I think it's fair to say that there is a difference between a defect and a design that doesn't appeal to everyone, and no, of course you're not the only one who has raised this point. This again, is why we report to the team that actually both designs and builds the product so that they can decide what to do next.

As the distributor we support our dealers and retail customers both, but in different ways, and one point you brought up is something that we're trying to work out. The dealer demo idea is a great one, and something we're doing in a limited capacity, but we would like to expand it if possibe. I couldn't have given you a refund directly because I didn't take your money. That's why I suggested you go backto the dealer. I could certainly have worked with them to come up with a solution, but we never got that chance.

Like I said, I'm a rider first, and I do really wish that this could be the best product for everyone, but that just isn't possible. I am more than willing to help resolve issues when they come up, but there has to be a dialogue fo that to happen.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #101
Phactory Phil
n00b

Progress...?

We're going to be approaching the forehead issues in terms of short- to long-term solutions:

1) We're looking into the different headliner thicknesses and interchangeability to see if a different liner will fit and help reduce pressure

2) Revise the liner so that the sewn seam isn't so thick, or that the pressure is distributed over a wider area

3) Revise the interior shape of the EPS

Now don't go getting all excited, this is OUR plan to try and help more people enjoy the C3. Making significant changes in this kind of thing can be like steering a battleship. Nothing happens real fast, but we'll keep you posted.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #102
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Now, that sounds better.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #103
Omer
Brrrr

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Can anyone comment on the SRC and be able to leave the chin guard / cover in place?

I'm currently using a G4 stuck on the side, boom fits reasonablly well inside but is a little close to the mouth. Just have to open it up and push it tight against the chin guard and it's fine.

I'd like to try the SRC but the last thing I want is to make this helmet "less" quiet and all the posts/reviews I've seen on the SRC indicates they have had to remove the chin curtain.
There is absolutely no need to remove the chin curtain when using the SRC system - the curtain does not interfere with the microphone in any way.

Incidentally, I own the Euro version of the C3 and had the same issue with the forehead dent.
It also only came out on longer (4+ hour rides), and sorted itself out after a few of those.

Someone also asked about the battery life of the SRC system. It's quite good, lasts me around ~14 hours of almost non-stop use (80% of the time streaming Bluetooth music, accepting phone calls - the other 20% with it simply being on but not actively in use).
Omer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #104
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phactory Phil View Post
We're going to be approaching the forehead issues in terms of short- to long-term solutions:

1) We're looking into the different headliner thicknesses and interchangeability to see if a different liner will fit and help reduce pressure

2) Revise the liner so that the sewn seam isn't so thick, or that the pressure is distributed over a wider area

3) Revise the interior shape of the EPS

Now don't go getting all excited, this is OUR plan to try and help more people enjoy the C3. Making significant changes in this kind of thing can be like steering a battleship. Nothing happens real fast, but we'll keep you posted.
Keep us posted.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #105
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
I tried one on locally for 30 minutes and it fit well, with a snug and even pressure all around. I ended up ordering one from Revzilla who offers a free exchange or refund and just received mine on Wednesday. I wore it at home while watching TV and noticed some forehead pressure at 45 minutes to an hour of wear. Nothing serious, so I took it off for a while and put it back on later. Better, but again felt slight forehead discomfort. Last night at home, put the helmet back on for an hour and almost no discomfort, so I decided to keep it and in fact wore it on a short ride and then again to work today. All I can say is Wow! Noticably quieter, in fact the quietest helmet I have owned (had mostly Arai and a Shoei X-11). Extremely stable, no buffeting at speed, and no strain on my neck when turning my head for a traffic check. The airflow is significant and the best I have had. It is a very well made helmet. I have yet to go on a long ride, but I am confident the helmet will break in over time and be even more wonderful. Also got the SRC and plan to install over the weekend. A very pricey helmet indeed and I was hesitant to spend $700 beans on a helmet, but so far glad I did. On another note, I also got one for my wife (C3W) and it gave her a significant hot spot and pressure on her forehead at about 15 minutes of wear. Like me, she tried it a few times, with the same result and the pain and discomfort was too much, so we sent it back for a refund. Unfortunately for her the Shuby did not work.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote