User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
biminyrd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hein Gericke Dakar Missing Button

I have a Hein Gericke Dakar Leather Jacket, one of the buttons has pulled apart and 1/2 of it is off the jacket, while the cap is missing, however the leather is still good in that location.
any suggestions or ideas for a repair?
thanks
aaron
biminyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
AZriderTST
TST1

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by biminyrd View Post
I have a Hein Gericke Dakar Leather Jacket, one of the buttons has pulled apart and 1/2 of it is off the jacket, while the cap is missing, however the leather is still good in that location.
any suggestions or ideas for a repair?
thanks
aaron
had a Hein Gericke Dakar leather jacket took it into the location for them in Irving CA. and they replaced my zipper for free repaired an elbow I fell for free and made the collar all leather inside and out. that they charged $80. call them and ask they stand behind their product
AZriderTST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZriderTST View Post
had a Hein Gericke Dakar leather jacket took it into the location for them in Irving CA. and they replaced my zipper for free repaired an elbow I fell for free and made the collar all leather inside and out. that they charged $80. call them and ask they stand behind their product
Sadly those days of Intersports fashion west, have long been gone.
As is Hein Gericke.

The OP's best bet is to take the jacket to a decent local cobbler, where they can pull off the old button and put a new one on. It won't match the other, but at least it will snap.

Also I'd suggest using some sort of lube on the ring on the inside of the female part of the snap.
I have used olive oil, or graphite, and you don't need very much at all.

It transforms snaps especially stubborn ones, I just dip a cotton swab into a little and run it around the inside of the snap.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
What color is your jacket? Does it use black, silver or brass buttons?

I'll have to check but I kept the spare buttons from some of my old Dakar jackets that I had. I've owned about a dozen different era and styles of the classic Dakar jacket.

If I find one I'll send it to you, but if I recall it uses a fairly standard button, any local tailor that does snaps should have one that matches.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
biminyrd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hey, thanks so much for your replies. Looks like I'm off to a cobler and I'll probably use some neats foot oil on the buttons or the vanson jacket oil I use when I recondition this one. Thanks for the tip

HaChayalBoded, My jacket is black and I believe they are brass buttons with a black colored cap. I'll take you up on your offer if you find an extra button like this

thanks!
biminyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,175
same jacket, same problem.

fast fix, local craft store (Micheal's), or sewing emporium (JoAnns). Might not have the correct color, which, for me , was no biggie on a 25 year old jacket . . . . lil dirt on the bike kinda thing.

Slightly longer fix, and the correct color snap? Tandy.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,359
Gericke, you bet they are brass. Let the cobbler know you want brass and not "brass plated". I have all sorts here, sometimes I use the magnet to tell.

I am out of brass, will have to talk to my cobbler friend about that next summer when I visit.