User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
PDsgt OP
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
Anybody Use this?

Looking on the Ram Mount website today? And I came across this. Anybody ever use it or try it? Looks convenient.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 43
Don't have that one, butt....

I have used multiple different RAM mounts and have been totally satisfied with all of them. Good stuff!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
That's interesting. I use RAM mounts, but never that. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it though. RAM makes quality stuff.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
frozenpoet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
It would be nice if you want to use it on multiple bikes. I've never had a problem with my ram mount stuff before so I would trust this as well.
frozenpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 AM   #5
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,286
You really can't go wrong with RAM equipment.

With that said, if you want to move from bike to bike that would work. Though I prefer to just get the permanent ball mount that is bolted to the bar. Just me.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
I have the first gen of that. Works a treat, as does all of my RAM stuff.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #7
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Looks like that would be an awesome setup if you wanted to do something like mount a gopro all over the place for all kinds of different POVs. For most of my stuff, I'd rather do permanent installs of the ram ball.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 296
I have something similar, I replaced the twisting part with a locking one. It isn't small, but it will stop someone from removing it easily.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Animaltrax
~ 5150 ~

Oddometer: 15
RAP-B-400U (1" ball)

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-tou...ap-b-400u.html
Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
That looks great. I built something similar out of a ram arm that can swing in the center. I dremeled and U shape out of the lower arm so it could clamp onto handlebars.

Worked great, but the above looks even better.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
I have used ram mounts in a few configurations. And for the most part they preformed as expected. On the latest installation, I've been dissapointed. I have a ball mounted to a acessory shelf. To it I have a short ( 3")arm to which an nuvi550 is attached. The arm is horizontal, and no matter how tite iclamp the ball connection. It droops as the miles/road bumps add up. Maybe a larger ball/arm hardware will take care of this. I you intend to have the hardware stacked up, then I would think this would not be much of an issue. I the case of that peice of hardware in the op, I would think the handlebar clamp would loose grip long before the ballconnection
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
I have used ram mounts in a few configurations. And for the most part they preformed as expected. On the latest installation, I've been dissapointed. I have a ball mounted to a acessory shelf. To it I have a short ( 3")arm to which an nuvi550 is attached. The arm is horizontal, and no matter how tite iclamp the ball connection. It droops as the miles/road bumps add up. Maybe a larger ball/arm hardware will take care of this. I you intend to have the hardware stacked up, then I would think this would not be much of an issue. I the case of that peice of hardware in the op, I would think the handlebar clamp would loose grip long before the ballconnection
Something is wrong. I have the same exact setup, amps ball on a dash shelf, short arm horizontal coming towards me, Nuvi 550 ram mount or sometimes Touratech mount off the edge of the shelf.

It's on a vibracious concours and I ride on the worst roads on the planet, NYC. It stays put, the gps bounces around along with the rest of the shelf and fairing, but the mount itself stays put.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
I have about 10k on a honda st1100 ( not off-road use, 90% on freeway,)with this set up. I estimate that the ball is 'bout .5>.7" dia...probably the same as the ball in the o.p. .. It's annoying to have to re adjust it while on the move. And I'm sure that if mine performs poorly, the one in the o.p. Will be worse, given the same situation. By my judgment, the clamping mech. Is at it's limit. So yes, you could well say that something's wrong! Any more titening ,and I'm sure it'll either strip the s.s.bolt, or break the plastic of the arm. A bigger ball ( next size up 1"? ), and approiate arm socket will be the fix. And I will be changing to the larger hardware, this year. Nothing intrinsically wrong about ram products,ya just have to be carefully with the garage engineering .

the_gr8t_waldo screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 09:05 AM
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
I have about 10k on an honda st1100 ( not off-road use, 90% on freeway,)with this set up. I estimate that the ball is 'bout .5>.7" dia...probably the same as the ball in the o.p. .. It's annoying to have to re adjust it while on the move. And I'm sure that if mine performs poorly, the one in the o.p. Will be worse, in the same situation. By my judgment, the clamping mech. Is at it's limit. So you could well, say that something wrong! Any more titening ,and I'm sure it'll either strip the s.s.bolt, or break the plastic of the arm. A bigger ball ( next size up 1"? ), and approiate arm socket will be the fix. And I will be changing to the larger hardware, this year.
Are you using the tiny half inch plastic ball stuff? Those things don't hold, the standard is the B size, which use 1" rubber balls. Bigger balls are better.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
nightingale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Too bad it hasn't been released yet. Says it is expected on March 31. Who's going to be first?