Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #46
Heipaal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch DeBeer View Post
I ripped off Tails' idea he posted a while back, and put a PMB Rack-It on and thru-bolted the pelican case. Works great, even taken a few decent diggers with it and it has stayed put.

What size and make is that?
Heipaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #47
alexk243
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Mounted a Pelican 1550 case to the back of my 1992 Yamaha TDM 850. Have used it all summer as I commute to work on this bike and the Pelican case allows you to lock it with a padlock or similar. Worked amazing and held real tight with the “door sealer strips” that I used on it.

Not sure of total cost for the parts, but was really inexpensive. Case was about $60-$70 (got an amazing deal on them)
Here is my bike with the finished project:

All the parts I used to mount it (minus the spray paint):

Metal piece I cut for brackets (used saw-zaw to cut)

Kinda approximated on length:

Drilled holes for the bolts and then filed all the edges down (iron file):

Lined it up and drilled holes in the Pelican 1550 case:

Now I originally tried it with just two metal brackets, but as I tightened down on the bold inside the case I noticed that the case was bending over the mount so I decided I needed to have a bracket on top of and below the TDM mount. That way I could tightened it down enough to make sure it would not move.

Painted them with a primer to keep them from rusting:

Put on the weather-stripping strips to keep them from sliding around and providing more grip:

Bolted them back on:

Used fender washers and wing nuts to hold the bolts on the inside of the case. The wing nuts allow the box to be removed without tools and the bolts I used have no nut on the outside so hopefully that will prevent the casual thief from removing the box.

Finished product:

After I completed this last summer I may have tightened it one, but it has stayed in its place really well and worked amazing for commuting on the TDM.
alexk243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #48
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
F800GS with a Pelican 1500 mounted on an Adventure-Spec rear rack. Also installed a Caribou case lock set and footman loops (not pictured). Debating if I should mount my 1 Gallon Rotopax on top of it or leave it strapped to the rear seat. Worried about the extra weight mounted higher up..

Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #49
ua99003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Pelican 1530 on my 06 tiger
ua99003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #50
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua99003 View Post
Pelican 1530 on my 06 tiger
I like the coat hooks. Are they for helmets?

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #51
ua99003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJon View Post
I like the coat hooks. Are they for helmets?
Yep ... Helmet and jacket .... they work great. Got them from Lowes
ua99003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #52
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
A little question for all the Pelican users. I've been using a Pelican 1500 as a topcase on my S10 for an year or so.
I love it, except for the rattle of the outer/smaller part of the latches. I do a 30mile daily commute on very rough roads and the constant noise is driving me crazy.

They used to be silent when new, but I guess repetitive vibrations are making them looser.

Any help with this?
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #53
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
A little question for all the Pelican users. I've been using a Pelican 1500 as a topcase on my S10 for an year or so.
I love it, except for the rattle of the outer/smaller part of the latches. I do a 30mile daily commute on very rough roads and the constant noise is driving me crazy.

They used to be silent when new, but I guess repetitive vibrations are making them looser.

Any help with this?
Get some Black Liquid Electrical Tape at your Local Hardware Store. WIth the outer smaller part that's making noise open, goop some the Liquid Tape around the latch hinge and on the part closer to where your thumb would be. Let it dry, ( you may have to tape it to keep it open). The idea is to spooge the gap between the two pieces. It should dry to be useable in 20 min and should tighten up your latches.

J
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #54
cuonawv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Honker of a box

I ordered the 1600 and mounted it straight to my SW Moto rack. I had to put 1/4" spacers between the box and the rack in order to raise the box up and off the top of the side case lids. I now have just enough room to unlatch and remove the side case lids or unlatch one side and swing the lids front or back

I also added stainless grab rails (drawer pulls) which come in super handy when packing stuff on top or on the sides (resting on the side case lids)

I do feel the box looks too big for the bike (looks like a pizza delivery scooter), but REALLY appreciate the capacity - 4 six packs AND a bag of chips and salsa.. (without crushing the chips - Winner )

2012 F800GS

cuonawv screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 09:46 PM
cuonawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #55
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

I got rid of my larger JC Whitney box when I forgot to take my key out of the lock before riding off a while back. So I got a Wolfman Large Rollie. That was great but only held my tools, knife, pump, spare tube and firstaid kit. Looked great but I needed more space.

I have tent poles measuring 17" so the I picked up a Storm IM2450 which was just humongous. FInally settled on a Pellican 1500. I had already mounted my Black Dog Cycle Works KTM 950/990ADV rear rack on my Funduro so I finally settled on Caribou Cases QFS mounting system.

Used some spare 1/8"x1" Aluminum bar I had laying around and carefully drilled and laid out my mount. I wanted to still be able to use the Tail bag without the Top Case, so I ran the rails on the sides instead of across the front and back.

You may notice in the above pic the center receiver for the quarter turn fasteners are protruding a bit. Actually about 1mm compared to how they are shipped. I had to push them up in order to get the fasteners to engage with the rubber weather seal on the fastener side. Not sure if my older 1500 case had thicker "feet" but some trial and error produced acceptable and secure attachment.

The Quarter turn fasteners are great and are more than strong enough for anything I can put in there and are low profile. I think they are rated at 500psi shear strength and 700psi tensile strength. THe receivers are spring loaded so there is always positive tension between the two eliminating slop and wear.

Now that it's mounted I needed a way to lock it. I'd read a thread here about using a trailer hitch latch pin lock. There are many types and styles but most were bulky.
I found one of these at my LHS:

I found if you remove the blue tip and nestle it in the corner opposite the lock hole in the lid, the "L" can't be pulled through the hole by determined folks.

Works great, no banging around offroad and is low profile.
I have a spare lock shaft I'm going to cut down to reduce the extra length if I get motivated.

J
Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #56
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
SeaHorse box with an OnGuard lock, and part of a plastic cutting board. I welded sub frame mounts to the "U" and the lock bar is bolted to the back of the box. Used the cutting board to make a lip that fits the front of the "U". Got the idea from the farkel thread.

fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #57
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,374
Thanks for bumpin' this thread up. Forgot how clever you guys are.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #58
ilbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Any pics of the completed setup mounted on your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentaco View Post
I got rid of my larger JC Whitney box when I forgot to take my key out of the lock before riding off a while back. So I got a Wolfman Large Rollie. That was great but only held my tools, knife, pump, spare tube and firstaid kit. Looked great but I needed more space.

I have tent poles measuring 17" so the I picked up a Storm IM2450 which was just humongous. FInally settled on a Pellican 1500. I had already mounted my Black Dog Cycle Works KTM 950/990ADV rear rack on my Funduro so I finally settled on Caribou Cases QFS mounting system.

Used some spare 1/8"x1" Aluminum bar I had laying around and carefully drilled and laid out my mount. I wanted to still be able to use the Tail bag without the Top Case, so I ran the rails on the sides instead of across the front and back.

You may notice in the above pic the center receiver for the quarter turn fasteners are protruding a bit. Actually about 1mm compared to how they are shipped. I had to push them up in order to get the fasteners to engage with the rubber weather seal on the fastener side. Not sure if my older 1500 case had thicker "feet" but some trial and error produced acceptable and secure attachment.

The Quarter turn fasteners are great and are more than strong enough for anything I can put in there and are low profile. I think they are rated at 500psi shear strength and 700psi tensile strength. THe receivers are spring loaded so there is always positive tension between the two eliminating slop and wear.

Now that it's mounted I needed a way to lock it. I'd read a thread here about using a trailer hitch latch pin lock. There are many types and styles but most were bulky.
I found one of these at my LHS:

I found if you remove the blue tip and nestle it in the corner opposite the lock hole in the lid, the "L" can't be pulled through the hole by determined folks.

Works great, no banging around offroad and is low profile.
I have a spare lock shaft I'm going to cut down to reduce the extra length if I get motivated.

J
ilbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #59
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbiker View Post
Any pics of the completed setup mounted on your bike?
Yeah but it didn't come out well. The picture that is.
I'm gonna ride this Sat I'll take one or a few then.

J
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #60
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
My recent Caribou install:

More pics here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2133
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote