User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
XR650L: Chain Roller Installation Guide

I have never liked the chain guide slider on my XR650L. Therefore, I decided to replace the chain guide slider with two chain rollers. I wish to thank forum member Natey at Thumpertalk; the information he posted inspired me to perform this modification.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=915107

Based upon my research, I discovered motorcycle chain rollers basically come in three sizes: large, small, and smallest. Most motorcycles use either the large, or the small chain rollers. A lesser number of motorcycles employ the smallest chain rollers.

Both the large and the small chain rollers come equipped with ball bearings, bolts, and nuts. Large chain rollers typically have a diameter of 40mm, plus or minus 2 mm. Small chain rollers typically have a diameter of 32mm, plus or minus 2 mm.

The smallest chain rollers typically have a diameter of 25 mm, plus or minus 1 mm. With a diameter this small, the smallest chain rollers do not come equipped with ball bearings. Also, the smallest chain rollers do not come equipped with either bolts, or nuts.

I recommend you select a chain roller that is 24.0-25.5 mm wide. A chain roller wider than 26.0 mm might not fit inside the XR650L's chain guide.

Based upon the advice of Natey, I decided to place a small chain roller at the front of the XR650L’s chain guide. Most small chain rollers should work, so I looked for the best deal, and decided to buy a Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2004, Honda, XR400R. This chain roller is 31mm in diameter. I bought this Primary Drive chain roller from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...dFamilyId=9522

Also based upon the advice of Natey, I decided to place a smallest chain roller at the rear of the XR650L’s chain guide. To avoid shipping charges, I ordered a chain roller in the Parts Unlimited catalog from my local Honda dealer. I ordered a Moose Racing, upper chain roller designed for the 2009, Honda, CRF230F, having part #1231-0041. This chain roller has a diameter of 24 mm. Since this smallest chain roller did not come equipped with a bolt, I went to the local Ace Hardware store and bought a 5/16 x 2-inch bolt, with 24 threads per inch. I also bought a nyloc nut to fit this bolt, and 4, ¼-inch washers.

After removing the worn out, chain guard slider, I drilled the bolt holes in the chain guide to enlarge them to 5/16-inch. Using a ¼-inch washer on each side of the chain guide, I installed the small chain roller in the front hole. Using the 5/16 x 2-inch bolt and two washers, I installed the smallest chain roller in the rear hole. I was careful not to tighten either bolt so much that the chain rollers could not rotate.

After riding about ten miles, I checked both chain rollers to ensure they were rotating. Both appeared to be working well.

The chain rollers do not make any appreciable noise I can hear. So far, I am very pleased with the results of this modification. I will keep you updated as the miles roll by.

I also installed a large chain roller to replace the chain slipper just behind the countershaft sprocket. I finished this job at twilight, so I didn’t have time to take any photographs. I will take photos, and post the details of this installation tomorrow.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-12-2011 at 01:59 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Thanks for doing the leg work on this. I have been toying with the idea of doing this mod for a bout a year but have yet to pull the trigger. I have stood in the local Cycle Gear with rollers in hand wondering if they would fit or not. Curious to see the pictures of the chain slipper replacement roller.
Thanks Spud!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,548
Excellent post, thanks.

I also replaced the frame slider on my XRL with a roller and had no issues.

Also, a piece of advice. You can periodically pull the rollers and pop the seal off and clean them and replace the grease, then put the seals back on. It is easy to do and there is a surprising amount of crap that gets by those seals.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Cool, I've considered doing this mod once my slider finally wears down to the mark.

One thing I want to ask you:
Did you consider using a sleeve for the roller to slide on, instead of directly on top of the bolt?

I would think that a properly sized sleeve would allow several advantages (particularly for the smallest roller):
-using a sleeve slightly wider than the roller would allow a tighter installation without stopping the roller from turning.
-a sleeve with thin/fender washers on the ends would prevent side wear to your chain guide plastic as the rollers turn.
-perhaps there is a sleeve and smaller bolt combination so that you wouldn't have to drill out the guide plastic?

Does anybody know if the bikes that use these rollers from the factory also have the sleeves I'm describing?

Two more questions, is the guide slightly pinched in your installation? Is there room for a sleeve like I'm describing with the roller widths you used?
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Thanks for doing the leg work on this. I have been toying with the idea of doing this mod for a bout a year but have yet to pull the trigger. I have stood in the local Cycle Gear with rollers in hand wondering if they would fit or not. Curious to see the pictures of the chain slipper replacement roller.
Thanks Spud!
You're welcome, Red.

I have installed extra-large foot pegs on my XR650L. Therefore, after removing the stock chain slipper, I found it easiest to remove the left foot peg before I drilled the mounting hole to enlarge it to 5/16-inch. I also discovered I had much more room to install the front chain roller after I removed both the sprocket cover, and the shift lever.

Based upon the advice of Natey, I decided to employ a large chain roller to replace the chain slipper. Once again, most large chain rollers should work, so I looked for the best bargain, and decided to buy a Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2000, Honda XR600R. This chain roller is 38 mm in diameter.

I placed a ¼-inch washer on the supplied bolt, and shoved the bolt through the chain roller from the engine side of the frame. I then added 4, ¼-inch washers to space the roller evenly under the chain. Adding another ¼-inch washer on the outside of the frame, I attached the supplied, nyloc nut.

Unlike the chain guide rollers, the slipper chain roller makes a little noise at low speeds. However, I don’t find this noise objectionable.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Excellent post, thanks.

I also replaced the frame slider on my XRL with a roller and had no issues.

Also, a piece of advice. You can periodically pull the rollers and pop the seal off and clean them and replace the grease, then put the seals back on. It is easy to do and there is a surprising amount of crap that gets by those seals.
You're welcome, and thanks for the tip, Kawidad.

Spud
Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
...One thing I want to ask you:
Did you consider using a sleeve for the roller to slide on, instead of directly on top of the bolt?

I would think that a properly sized sleeve would allow several advantages (particularly for the smallest roller):
-using a sleeve slightly wider than the roller would allow a tighter installation without stopping the roller from turning.
-a sleeve with thin/fender washers on the ends would prevent side wear to your chain guide plastic as the rollers turn.
-perhaps there is a sleeve and smaller bolt combination so that you wouldn't have to drill out the guide plastic?...
Since the small chain roller is supplied with a bearing, I did not consider using an additional bushing. I did consider using a bushing for the smallest chain roller, but the 5/16-inch bolt fit so well, I discarded the idea. I originally intended to install 1/4-inch washers between the chain rollers and the inside walls of the chain guide. However, I did not have sufficient space to install the extra washers. The chain rollers seem to work well, so I am going to ride for a few hundred miles before I consider modifying my installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
...Two more questions, is the guide slightly pinched in your installation? Is there room for a sleeve like I'm describing with the roller widths you used?
No, the chain guide was not pinched in this installation. However, using the chain rollers I selected, there is no additional room for washers or sleeves inside the chain guide.

Spud
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,868
thanks
Bbasso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
thanks
You're welcome. I went for a ride this afternoon, and the chain rollers performed well.

The chain slack looks good, so I think I chose the proper dimensions for the different chain rollers.

I got the bike (and the chain rollers) muddy on a snowy gravel road.

I rode about 90 miles today. The chain rollers are still tight, and the wear on them is minimal. So far, everything appears well with my chain roller conversion.

Spud
Old 03-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 721

Nice, thanks for sharing! I'll put this on the list for when my sliders are worn out.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post

Nice, thanks for sharing! I'll put this on the list for when my sliders are worn out.
+1

I need to list out the parts and get them on hand.
1) Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2004, Honda, XR400R.
2) Moose Racing, upper chain roller designed for the 2009, Honda, CRF230F, having part #1231-0041.
3) 5/16 x 2-inch bolt, nylock nut, and washers.
4) Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2000, Honda XR600R.

Another fantastic mod Spud! You are a true craftsman

I really appreciate you bringing me up to speed on the background info., too!

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post

You're welcome, Wombat.

Spud
Old 03-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
+1

I need to list out the parts and get them on hand.
1) Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2004, Honda, XR400R.
2) Moose Racing, upper chain roller designed for the 2009, Honda, CRF230F, having part #1231-0041.
3) 5/16 x 2-inch bolt, nylock nut, and washers.
4) Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2000, Honda XR600R.

Another fantastic mod Spud! You are a true craftsman

I really appreciate you bringing me up to speed on the background info., too!

Thank you, Ono. I used a total of ten, 1/4-inch washers to complete the job.

Today I did some chain maintenance before I went for a ride. Therefore, I seized the opportunity to remove my chain guide, and inspect the rollers.

After about 100 miles of wear, the chain guide rollers look very good. Both rollers were still securely fastened to the chain guide; I believe this is a robust modification.

Even though the fit is tight, the small, front chain roller turns easily.

The smallest, rear chain roller doesn't turn easily; however, it still functions very well. The smallest roller seems to function much as a tougher version of the chain guide slider. This smallest chain roller turns enough to evenly distribute the wear, while producing less friction than the stock slider.

After re-installing the chain guide, I went for a nice ride. I eagerly await the official arrival of spring.

Spud
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The large chain roller is doing a superb job replacing the chain slipper. After 100 miles of wear, this chain roller appears almost brand new.

Spud
Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
This is what I am using.

I like the front ball bearing roller. For the rear I am using the primary drive chain guide. Its made for a 2000 xr600. One is not offered for the L. It has worked very well for over 10,ooo miles. Spud, I hope you don't mind other suggestions. Her is a link http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ve...hicleTypeId=2&
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote