ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #61
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Your rear sprocket looks super worn in this pic; or is it an aftermarket sprock?

Mike B
You are very observant, Mike. Indeed, my Primary Drive, rear sprocket is very worn, and I plan to replace it in the near future.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #62
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer
 
michael.brat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You are very observant, Mike. Indeed, my Primary Drive, rear sprocket is very worn, and I plan to replace it in the near future.

Spud
Cool

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #63
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Cool

Mike B
I started replacing both my sprockets and my drive chain this evening, but I ran out of light, Mike. I will finish the job tomorrow with the following parts:

XR650R, 14-tooth, Primary Drive countershaft sprocket
XR650L, 48-tooth, Primary Drive rear sprocket
RK 520EXW drive chain, 110-links



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 02:13 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #64
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Several days ago I installed a new drive chain, and new sprockets. Therefore, I took the opportunity to inspect my chain rollers. Here is a photograph of my chain slipper roller after 10,600 miles of wear.



Here is a view of my mounting hardware, and the port side of my single Spud Roller after 5,700 miles of total wear, and 600 miles of wear as the solo roller in my chain guide.



Here is a top view of my single Spud Roller after 5,700 miles of total wear, and 600 miles of wear as the solo roller in my chain guide.



When I installed my new drive chain, I switched from a 13T/45T sprocket combination to a 14T/48T sprocket combination. Since the larger rear sprocket has lowered the bottom of my drive chain, I am glad I switched to a single Spud Roller. The single, forward roller allows more clearance from the rear sprocket, and facilitates removal of the rear wheel, et cetera.





Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 03:09 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #65
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer
 
michael.brat's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Several days ago I installed a new drive chain, and new sprockets. Therefore, I took the opportunity to inspect my chain rollers. Here is a photograph of my chain slipper roller after 10,600 miles of wear.



Spud
It seems that the location of the chain slipper roller is optimal. I looked down at mine while riding and noticed that the chain doesn't even touch it half the time which probably explains the very minimal wear; yet I haven't seen any chain-to-frame contact in that area so it seems to be about 100x better than the OE slipper

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #66
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
It seems that the location of the chain slipper roller is optimal. I looked down at mine while riding and noticed that the chain doesn't even touch it half the time which probably explains the very minimal wear; yet I haven't seen any chain-to-frame contact in that area so it seems to be about 100x better than the OE slipper

Mike B
I agree, Mike. After riding with this chain slipper roller for over 10,600 miles, I have noticed the drive chain seems to merely, lightly tap this roller. This chain roller only cost me $10, and at the present rate of wear it might outlast most of the motorcycle.

Unlike the stock "chain slipper," which wears quickly, and needs to be removed to be inspected, this chain roller is very easy to inspect for wear, and proper operation. The surface of the roller is easily visible for convenient inspection, and you can quickly spin the roller to ensure its operating properly. The mounting hardware is also very easy to inspect. Just give a tug on the nyloc nut to ensure it's still tight. I have never had this chain roller loosen on me in over 10,600 miles of riding.

As you noted, the drive chain never touches the frame, so the roller is performing its job superbly. The only downside to this chain roller is a slight increase in noise from the drive chain as it intermittently, lightly taps the roller. The stock chain slipper costs about $14, plus shipping, and it wears much faster than this chain roller.

Incidentally, I think all the commercial chain rollers need more grease in the bearings, even when they are brand new. I didn't grease this roller before I installed it, but I wish I had. Here is a photo of the original grease left in the bearing after 5,000 miles of wear.



Therefore, I recommend that XR650L owners grease the bearings before they install this roller, and add new grease to the bearings once a year.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #67
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
I'm pleased to report my single Spud Roller is performing very well in my chain guide. Here is a photograph of the port side of my Spud Roller after 7,200 miles of total wear, and 2,100 miles of solo wear in my chain guide.



Here is a photo of the top view of my Spud Roller after 7,200 miles of total wear, and 2,100 miles of solo wear in my chain guide.



Chain rollers offer several advantages over chain sliders.

1) The open, bottom end of the chain guide collects less dirt and mud with a chain roller, rather than a chain slider.

2) The rotating chain roller induces less friction on the drive chain than a chain slider.

3) My Spud Rollers are less expensive than the OEM chain slider.

4) My Spud Rollers appear to wear longer than the OEM chain slider, especially in dirty, or muddy environments.

5) A chain roller is easier to inspect for wear, and therefore requires less maintenance than the OEM chain slider.

To be fair, a possible disadvantage of chain rollers is they produce more noise than the OEM chain slider. However, as my Spud Roller "breaks in" after 7,200 miles of use, I'm pleased to report it is becoming much quieter. If you are interested in purchasing either a single Spud Roller, or a pair of Spud Rollers, please refer to my thread in the Vendors Forum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694545

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 08:37 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #68
islano
Adventurer
 
islano's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: PH
Oddometer: 37
Rollers

Hello Spud Rider will the rollers fit on the XRR?
islano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #69
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,536
Hey Spudman! How's it going?
I'm finally getting around to replacing the shift shaft in my XRL - what a job!
In looking for further trouble, I've found the swingarm slider and chain slipper about shot. I was thinking of a slipper roller as in your mod here, so I came checking your thread trying to find a specific part to order. I went to find the part as you said for a 2000 XR650R and it shows that bike using the same static slipper as the XRL. The XR400R DOES use a roller there but it doesn't specify what diameter. Is that the part for the front roller to use? (52158-HC0-000 ROLLER, CHAIN $8.76 $7.71 In-Stock) My rear slider looks plenty serviceable yet so I don't plan to mess with that yet.
Thanks!
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #70
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by islano View Post
Hello Spud Rider will the rollers fit on the XRR?
Please excuse my belated response, Islano. I guess my notifications were turned off for this thread.

I only own an XR650L, so I can't verify the chain rollers will fit other Honda XR models.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #71
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey Spudman! How's it going?
I'm finally getting around to replacing the shift shaft in my XRL - what a job!
In looking for further trouble, I've found the swingarm slider and chain slipper about shot. I was thinking of a slipper roller as in your mod here, so I came checking your thread trying to find a specific part to order. I went to find the part as you said for a 2000 XR650R and it shows that bike using the same static slipper as the XRL. The XR400R DOES use a roller there but it doesn't specify what diameter. Is that the part for the front roller to use? (52158-HC0-000 ROLLER, CHAIN $8.76 $7.71 In-Stock) My rear slider looks plenty serviceable yet so I don't plan to mess with that yet.
Thanks!
It's good to hear from you, OnO!

I replaced my "chain slipper" with a Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2000, Honda XR600R. This chain roller is 38 mm in diameter. I purchased the Primary Drive chain roller from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...E+CHAIN+ROLLER

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #72
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
It's good to hear from you, OnO!

I replaced my "chain slipper" with a Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2000, Honda XR600R. This chain roller is 38 mm in diameter. I purchased the Primary Drive chain roller from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...E+CHAIN+ROLLER

Spud
Thanks Spud!

Rocky Mountain must be in error. When I brought up the above link, it says:
1096220001 Primary Drive Chain Roller Large 38 mm Black Fits: Honda XR600R 19902000 $9.99
1096220001 Primary Drive Chain Roller Large 38 mm Black Fits: Honda XR650R 20002007 $9.99

However, when I look at the fische for the 2000, Honda XR600R, I don't see it. I see the static slipper - #7

Which is why I couldn't find a Honda part number. I appreciate you getting back to me Spud-man as now I have a MFG (Primary Drive) and a part no. (1096220001). I was about to order one for an XR400R - problem is (if I can believe what I'm reading in Rocky Mountain), that's a 31mm wheel (instead of 38mm which you have vetted for our XRLs):
096220004 Primary Drive Chain Roller Small 31 mm Black Fits: Honda XR400R 19962004 $9.99

I may have to cross something else to the primary drive number in order to get all my parts from the same vendor. We'll see... (I'll let you know)

Always a pleasure! Best wishes!
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #73
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Thanks Spud!

Rocky Mountain must be in error. When I brought up the above link, it says:
1096220001 Primary Drive Chain Roller Large 38 mm Black Fits: Honda XR600R 19902000 $9.99
1096220001 Primary Drive Chain Roller Large 38 mm Black Fits: Honda XR650R 20002007 $9.99

However, when I look at the fische for the 2000, Honda XR600R, I don't see it. I see the static slipper - #7

Which is why I couldn't find a Honda part number. I appreciate you getting back to me Spud-man as now I have a MFG (Primary Drive) and a part no. (1096220001). I was about to order one for an XR400R - problem is (if I can believe what I'm reading in Rocky Mountain), that's a 31mm wheel (instead of 38mm which you have vetted for our XRLs):
096220004 Primary Drive Chain Roller Small 31 mm Black Fits: Honda XR400R 19962004 $9.99

I may have to cross something else to the primary drive number in order to get all my parts from the same vendor. We'll see... (I'll let you know)

Always a pleasure! Best wishes!
That's interesting. Oh well, just order the Primary Drive chain roller I mentioned. Don't worry about the Honda parts compatibility. That Primary Drive chain roller will work perfectly for you.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #74
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
...Don't worry about the Honda parts compatibility. That Primary Drive chain roller will work perfectly for you. ....
I'm withya Spudman. The reason the "parts compatibility" was important to me is that where I was ordering from, they don't carry Primary Drive, and the ones they do carry aren't specifying the diameters, they are just chosen by bike model, so I needed a bike that uses the 38mm. I ended up with an MSR of 38mm, by specifying for an XR500R.
Should be interesting... Thanks!
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #75
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I'm withya Spudman. The reason the "parts compatibility" was important to me is that where I was ordering from, they don't carry Primary Drive, and the ones they do carry aren't specifying the diameters, they are just chosen by bike model, so I needed a bike that uses the 38mm. I ended up with an MSR of 38mm, by specifying for an XR500R.
Should be interesting... Thanks!
I understand, OnO. Any of the large chain rollers which has a diameter of 38-42mm should work just as well.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014