Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
Road Rash OP
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post
Cool man, Gotta love kickin' back like that!
I missed that side of Honduras, I'm gonna have to go back to check it out!
I can't wait to go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Very timely. Going back to Honduras in 3 weeks. Utila first (have not been), then Anthony's Key on Roatan (been 4 or 5 times).

I do love the funky West End of Roatan.

If you see Cap'n Vern http://www.aboututila.com/TravelInfo...tila/index.htm punch him in the arm for me

We stayed at the Coconut Tree in West Bay, Cannibal Café was our favorite place for eating in West End.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Ride View Post
Cool report Tom. Hope to see you this summer sometime.
Thanks..........and yeah, if you don't make it down here, I am sure I will be up your way this year.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #17
SpeShel
Mrs Freeflow

Oddometer: 149
Thanks for the ride report - it brings back many good memories! Roatan is a beautiful, interesting and unique place to visit, as is Utila.

Now I'm wondering why we didn't plan a warm weather getaway while sitting here with the remains of the last snowstorm glaring in through the window...
SpeShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #18
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,230
For such and old guy (I can only joke because I'm right behind you).......
You look like a 35 year old here, with a tan on your skin and a bigass smile on your face

Looks like it was a great vacation in a relaxing place, with a little moto adventure thrown in.
WTH ?? Passing a police car on a bike with no plates ..????
and those helmets don't look DOT certified

AND, I'm betting you were riding around with a beer or two in yer bellies ta boot
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,571
Awesome Tom! Looks like a fantastic place.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,397
Hello Tom. Nothing like a tropical holiday to break up those winter doldrums. Looks like you had a great time. I also did a recent trip on a rented bike...no report though. Just a few pics. #41447
cheers!
Wayne
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Visited Honduras about 10 years ago, maybe 15 now that i think about it, anyways it is a beautiful country. We went up in the mountains to the area around Copan not the islands however. I remember how really nice all the people were, very friendly and open. Didn't ride any bikes, but did take some horses up into the coffee bean plantations. Also visited the ruins which are tremendous! Different world than here in the states, but I enjoyed it and would love to go back someday. Great report, thanks for posting it. .
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
Hoologan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
That's awesome. I was in Roatan in 2000 and would LOVE to go back. We drove ALL OVER that island in a shitty little Nissan pickup.

I recently found out my Aunt and Uncle bought a rental place there called the pink orchid. It's supposed to be really nice so look it up if anyone gets over there.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
If you see Cap'n Vern http://www.aboututila.com/TravelInfo/Roatan-to-Utila/index.htm punch him in the arm for me
Might be more fun to ride the cat with Vern from Utila to Roatan than to take the flight. Hmmmm......
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Nice Tom,
what does your friend do for a living?

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
Road Rash OP
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeShel View Post
Thanks for the ride report - it brings back many good memories! Roatan is a beautiful, interesting and unique place to visit, as is Utila.

Now I'm wondering why we didn't plan a warm weather getaway while sitting here with the remains of the last snowstorm glaring in through the window...
It would have been great to have some more Gringo's to hang out with.

I let Jeff know when we would be leaving.................next time I'll just go directly to you

And yes, I need to go to Utila next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
For such and old guy (I can only joke because I'm right behind you).......
You look like a 35 year old here, with a tan on your skin and a bigass smile on your face

AND, I'm betting you were riding around with a beer or two in yer bellies ta boot
Thanks...................it was a lot of fun...........and I was careful with the drinking and riding/driving thing...........$20 dollar fine if you get caught

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post
Nice Tom,
what does your friend do for a living?
He has this really tough job

http://www.aboututila.com/TravelInfo...tila/index.htm

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #26
Senor Siesta
Accipere Via Longa

Oddometer: 165
What a damned nice way to spend time off...Thanks Road Rash. You have planted some seeds for future getaways. Great pictures.
Senor Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #27
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Nice!

Looks like a fun way to check out a cool island!
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #28
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Just got back couple days ago. Got a lot of water time in and loved it. Weather is just right for water sports. We rented scooters from Capt Van looks like the same place you picked up your bike. Price is right and Wife and I ran the wheels off it for couple days. Also found The Hole In The Wall for the Sunday BBQ. When we arrived I told Bob, we were going to be cash short and I would be back to pay him tomorrow, he said forget it and eat!! We did and really enjoyed the people and conversation. Can't do Roatan and miss Hole In The Wall. So someone going there please pick up my tab and tell him thanks again.
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #29
john vanderheyden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
what the ?

This is just too weird -have to share -recently booked a trip with my wife to Roatan -leaving between Christmas and New Years for a week- so i do a search for riding motorcycles in Roatan and find this report from Road Rash -he spends the ride with a friend of his -Vern -who runs a sailboat, catamaran cruise /ferry between Roatan and Utila. after researching motorcycle rides i start looking "goggling" side trips -figure a trip to Utila for a day would be nice. with the goggle search this newspaper article pops up-see below. "this just happened last week"

Captain Vern Murdered at Sea, Skipper of the Daily Utila to Roatan Honduras Catamaran Ferry Service
Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on emailShare on printShare on gmailShare on stumbleuponMore Sharing Services
At approximately 5:00 pm, Friday (based on new information, the actual time was closer to 2:00 pm), November 16, 2012, Captain Vern Fine was murdered at sea, just off the coast of Utila, by two passengers who he was transporting from Roatan to Utila during his regularly scheduled daily round trip. Captain Vern was found dead on his Catamaran from multiple stab wounds.

Update 6:30 AM November 18th: Assailants caught this morning trying to escape on the Utila Princess!

A teenager this morning tried to buy two tickets on the Utila Princess this morning. The police have arrested him and his family who were hiding the assasins. They are currently at the Utila FUSEP Jail ad we will try to get some pictures for you soon.

Update: 3:00 PM November 17th, 2012

The Catamaran could be seen around 3:30 to 3:45 pm, up against the rocks at Paradise Cove by the resident who first boarded and found Captain Vern slain. Our HondurasNews.com reporter was with this resident of Utila early this morning at the Utila Municipal Dock and assisted in translations with the Honduran Police. We apologize for the discrepancy in times, and some of the inconsistencies in the original account, and can only offer that exhaustion, and the shock many were experiencing who were closely involved in the gathering of information, have played key roles since this tragic incident occurred. The resident who discovered Captain Vern’s body is may be issuing a statement at a later date; we will continue with updates as facts are provided.

According to Captain Vern’s long time companion, referred to later in this report as his “usual First Mate”, she and Captain Vern had been suspicious of the the two passengers from the beginning, and so she had been phoning Captain Vern every 30 to 45 minutes, to check that all was okay. When she phoned at 2:00 pm, however, there was no answer. Based on this, the time of the incident is now estimated to have happened sometime around 2:00 pm.

Update 6:30 AM November 17th, 2012

Following an interview with the First Mate this morning, who was accompanied to the Utila Municipal Dock by police to review passengers leaving the island on the Utila Princess ferry headed to La Ceiba, the account of events has been clarified as follows:

The First Mate was driving the boat, while the two passengers and Captain Vern went below deck. The First Mate reported that he heard a heated argument, followed by things breaking. As he approached to see what was going on, one of the assailants pulled a gun on the First Mate, who then jumped over board fearing for his own life. He was adrift at sea for approximately 40 minutes before being rescued by the Honduran Marines.

The Catamaran was found, by a resident who lives directly in front of the cove in the Trade Winds area, at full throttle up against the cliff in the small cove. The resident, who was first on the scene, was assisted by two others, and managed to get up onto the Catamaran while in neck high water. He proceeded below deck, and found Captain Vern lifeless, with multiple stab wounds.

Honduran Police are transporting the First Mate back to Roatan this morning. According to the Honduras Cobra police officer at the ferry this morning, descriptions and drawings of the assailants have been given to the law enforcement officials on Utila in order to assist in identifying the assailants. Members of the National Police, and one Cobra officer were present while the Utila Princess was boarded this morning, prior to leaving for La Ceiba.

Captain Vern’s Catamaran anchored in Utila the morning after he was killed

Honduran Police Check for suspected assassins of Captain Vern at Utila Municipal dock

Police Inspect the Utila Princess prior to leaving for La Ceiba after Captain Verns death

Utila Municipal Dock as Honduran Police inspect passengers of the Utila Princess in search of the Captain Vern murder suspects
This is the original report, which has been corrected above: The first mate, who was accompanying Captain Vern at the time, but below deck, the two passengers from the mainland of Honduras overpowered Captain Vern. The first mate felt the catamaran shift in an unusual way as they approached Red Cliff and the area known as “the Point”, near the Trade Winds community. The crew member began to step up on the deck, but saw Captain Vern had been stabbed by the passengers, and fearing for his life, jumped overboard. The incident was seen on land by a security guard at one of the residents of the Red cliff / Trade Winds area, and the Honduran Coast Guard was alerted immediately.

Captain Vern murdered at sea off the coast of Utila Honduras
The coast guard was able to rescue the crew member, who is being kept under guard at this point, as he is able to identify the assassins who had steered the Catamaran into the Red Cliff harbor, and jumped off, fleeing into a heavily wooded area. There is currently a large presence of Law Enforcement on the Island of Utila, as the Honduras Primary elections are scheduled this coming Sunday, the 18th of November. Law enforcement from just about every division of the Honduran police force are investigating this matter, but due to the current heavy rains, the search is somewhat hampered.

At this point the motive is unconfirmed the only thing identified missing so far is his Laptop which is believed to have been thrown over board by the assailants. Captain Vern logged all Identification of his passengers on his laptop computer.

Captain Vern is extremely well known in Roatan and Utila, as well as around the world, and for those who would ask about his “usual first mate”, she was at home. She and Captain Vern had purchased a residence in Roatan just last week. Captain Vern’s body is currently at the Utila Clinic, and arrangements are being made to transport his body to La Ceiba, as required by law.

No further information is available, other than the matter was quickly escalated to the Top Honduras Police Chief, “Tigre Bonilla”, and the police spokesman for the National Police of Honduras said simply, “We are going to catch them.”

This story will be updated as more details become available.

Utila is a popular destination in Honduras, known for its pristine clear waters and reef. It is a world class scuba diving attraction, visited by tourists who enjoy a tranquil “barefoot” environment.

Follow this story and more on our Facebook Page

Sorry to post this info on your thread Road Rash-i don't mean to offend-not sure if you kept in close contact with Vern but on the chance you don't i figured you would want this news -take care.
john vanderheyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
wow.

thats insane. no reason...ever.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote