User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
my_urban_chaos OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Lets talk clothes

What gear do you wear on your ride? Full Suit? Boots? etc. Also, after a long day of riding and you set up camp for the night, do you wear shorts and a Tshirt for comfort? What about a second pair of shoes, say sandles, for walking around. How do you keep comfortable around the camp or in a hotel after a day of riding? I know that space and weight are issues so I'm trying to find the best solution for long term riding.
my_urban_chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Vulfy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
AeroStitch, Teiz, Olympia all make one piece over suit. Wear what you want under, and then have armor and abrasion protection with an easy get in/out of an over-suit. They do not take a lot of space either, when folded.

I usually carry sneakers with me in the summer, so I just change out of my boots when I'm at work.

Might not be as stylish as a pair of nice riding jeans and a nice leather jacket, but its a joy to wear shorts in the summer, with all vents open.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_urban_chaos View Post
What gear do you wear on your ride? Full Suit? Boots? etc. Also, after a long day of riding and you set up camp for the night, do you wear shorts and a Tshirt for comfort? What about a second pair of shoes, say sandles, for walking around. How do you keep comfortable around the camp or in a hotel after a day of riding? I know that space and weight are issues so I'm trying to find the best solution for long term riding.
Full gear on the bike.

Depending on the time of year I pack a pair of Kuhl convertible pants and a UnderArmor shirt for camp. When I ditch the boots I go to a pair of New Balance minimalist running shoes. This set of off the bike gear packs down to next to nothing. Ditch the jeans and T-Shirt...they don't pack worth a darn and really suck if they ever get wet..
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,304
Quote:
what gear do you wear on your ride? Full suit? Boots? Etc.yes also, after a long day of riding and you set up camp for the night, do you wear shorts and a tshirt for comfort?something similar,usually lightweight wicking garments,that pack small and sandals or other lightweight,packable shoes..
What about a second pair of shoes, say sandles, for walking around.yes how do you keep comfortable around the camp or in a hotel after a day of riding? I know that space and weight are issues so i'm trying to find the best solution for long term riding.
jr356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 610
No cotton!
Street clothes under my Motoport gear. Sidi Discos for boots. I'll take along good sandals & hiking boots in the summer, just the hikers in the winter. The sandals are my favorite luxury item.

I use the same clothes for tripping on my bike as backpacking. Mostly nylon, synthetic undies & socks, with a pair of wool socks if cold might happen. The travel/backpacking type clothes have a really wide comfort range, can be washed in a sink, and can be presentable enough for most social situations (or, like me- for avoiding social situations).

Did I say no cotton?

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,641
Totally depends on the ride.
Work gets its own specific set of clothes...
Touring and dirt riding is the same. Different clothes for different rides

But the normal base get up is
Mc jacket, pants, gloves, boots and a full face helmet
Under that

I wear jeans or nylon pants. Hi-tec stuff comes out when I need to extend the comfort range both hot or cold.

squish screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 09:10 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Totally depends on the ride.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I know that space and weight are issues so I'm trying to find the best solution for long term riding.
You'll get more specific responses if you define "long term riding". To some that's over a week while to others it means selling your house and car.

You'll also get different advice if you're riding a WR250 or R1200GSA.

And different advice if you plan to stay on the Divide Trail than if you take the freeway to Daytona.

I can take light pants and a pair of shoes for a weekend, but as trips get longer I get into different climates and different activities. My wardrobe for visiting people in another state is different from just motorcycling.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
When I ride, I wear LD Comfort long underwear pants and long sleeve shirt under Motoport kevlar mesh jacket and pants with Sidi Canyon boots. I bring a pair of nylon hiking shorts and loose fitting synthetic t shirt that I change into when I get to camp or a hotel. If I'm camping, I take a pair of Adidas sandals with me to change into when I get to camp. If I'm hoteling it, I'll bring a pair of sneakers instead.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote