User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
Guitar1327 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Moto camping tent suggestions?

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a new tent and hoping for se advice... There seem to be a ton of very good 2-3 person options from big Agnes, marmot, rei, etc... However they're all designed for backpacking and from what Ive seen of them at rei they appear to make some serious compromises in durability to get very low weights. On the opposite side are hilleberg and redverz but they look like they'd be hotter than hell during the summer, not to mention they're very expensive. What's the best option? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Guitar1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
I like my Apex 2. http://store.eurekatent.com/apex-series-tents

If you hit many motorcycle rallies you'll see a bunch of these.
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,126
No best option... Bigger, heavier, smaller, lighter. It's what your personal thresold will take. 2,3,4 man, garage, 2 doors, 2 vestibules. etc

One thing I will note... Even though the lightweight tents that you saw may appear to compromise durability, they really don't.

Quality tents from BA, MSR, etc are well made, and many stories here of how their product was backed by the company many years later.

good luck

There are a few really good tent threads around here somewhere.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
i ended up with several tents and have to choose based on the ride/weather/bike. I dont think there's just one that would meet all of my needs.

I started by buying a cheapie from Walmart...that allowed me to get out and camp. Nothing quite like doing something to figure out what you want/need in your gear.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Troy_V
Ace

Oddometer: 64
My vote goes to any of the Big Agnes Ultralight (UL) tents. Very lightweight, very compact. They are pricey, though.
'02 Tuono R (#169/200)
'02 KLR650
'02 VFR800
'99 CBR600 Track whore
Troy_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #6
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_V View Post
My vote goes to any of the Big Agnes Ultralight (UL) tents. Very lightweight, very compact. They are pricey, though.
+1 on BA stuff. I had their Seedhouse II and loved it (loved it so much I lost it...grrr). One of it's best features, apart from pack size, was the ability to erect only the mesh inner - perfect for those hot nights. By far the best tent I've ever had and, when I've got some spare dosh, I'll buy another one.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I love my 2011 MSR Hubba Hubba.

Above all I love that it is ultralite and packs so small and is so damn quick to put up thanks largely to the all-in-one 'hub-and-swivel' pole design, which is also very strong. I really appreciate the ventilation of the mesh inner, perfect for hot nights and star gazing when the rainfly isn’t on. It's technically a 2 person tent but I use it solo and there’s lots of room inside just for me. The interior is maximized with the pole configuration so you can also sit up in inside. If you want to go 2-up the mutha hubba would be better.

It has two vestibules with plenty of space to store gear and easily get in/out. I do prefer the green to the yellow rainfly but I admit I would prefer a slightly darker green if only to better suit my stealth/wild camping needs. It’s freestanding so it’s easy to move if needed and is pitchable even on hard ground. It comes ready to go but I also got some of the neat extras; gear loft, footprint, (base is very thin), vestibule footprint and some stronger MSR pegs. Needless to say its very waterproof.

They can be quite expensive but I got a bargain and have gad lots of use out if it and it's still going strong. I do prefer the green to the yellow but I admit I would prefer it slightly darker green if only to better suit my stealth camping needs. Guylines have to be purchased separately although they’re not needed even when its windy.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,769
Are you flexible or stiff? Can you dress while lying down or sitting? Or do you need to get on your knees or even partially stand? Do you camp in the heat and humidity of summer or more often in spring and fall? Do you camp even if it's raining or would you prefer to check into a room instead?

I'm flexible enough to dress while lying down although I want good sitting room in my tent. I can get into nearly any low tent by crouching with no need to crawl. While most of my camping is spring or fall, I still want excellent cross-ventilation -- I can cover up for a cool night, but a hot night can be uncomfortable. And I want a tent that I can get into and out of without letting rain fall on the tent floor.

So I have a REI Camp Dome. I had the 1989 REI Half Dome when it had a similar fly arrangement, but I don't deal well with the current "full cap" fly. I actually had 3 new tents in 2011 and early 2012 and the Camp Dome is the one that I kept.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Exped Gemini

I really like my Exped Gemini II. Good quality, packs fairly small, and I really like the overall design. I looked at a lot of tents and this one just kept calling my name...

One thing I noticed is that the price correlates quite well with pole length. Cheap tents often have 22" poles. Mid-priced have ~20" poles, and the more expensive tents have ~18" poles. I wanted the 18" poles so my tent wouldn't stick out the sides more than my gear bags. My tent is in the blue dry bag:

But decide for yourself what criteria is important to you, and then pick something that meets your needs.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1327 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a new tent and hoping for se advice... There seem to be a ton of very good 2-3 person options from big Agnes, marmot, rei, etc... However they're all designed for backpacking and from what Ive seen of them at rei they appear to make some serious compromises in durability to get very low weights. On the opposite side are hilleberg and redverz but they look like they'd be hotter than hell during the summer, not to mention they're very expensive. What's the best option? Thanks in advance for the advice.
What kind of bike/where are you riding? (How important is weight?)

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
sceep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I'm new to the camping off a bike scene but my dad uses one of these. http://shop.redverz.com/categories/MotorcycleTents/

he's been very happy with it to date. we will be camping out of it on the COBDR this summer.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,276
My bikes are light, so my bias is that of a backpacker. Within that world, there are the "perseverate over every gram super ultralight" who cut titanium toothbrushes in half and sleep under Cuben fiber tarps. That seems silly even for a guy who camps off a coverted dirt bike.

I use a Mountain Hardwear one man ultralight, but it's now 8 years old. I'm 8 years older too, and I want a bit more headroom. What I also require is quality AND durability and EASE of setup.

I am going with a Sierra Designs Flash inthe non ultralight option. It adds about 7 ounces but the fabric is more durable. Best for me, it is a double wall tent that integrates the fly and tent body ... putting up the tent us also putting up the fly.

I decided specifically against the Big Agnes, especially their UL offerings. They ARE quality gear, but their pursuit of light weight is achieved largely through the use of delicate fabrics. JMO
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,310
Eureka's Apex 2XT and 3XT tents are nice and fairly inexpensive for a good tent at a reasonable price. I'm currently using a MSR Hubba Hubba NX tent due to size, durability, and easiness to set up; a lot more expensive, but caught mine on sale and with a big coupon for well under two Franklins.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post
I'm new to the camping off a bike scene but my dad uses one of these. http://shop.redverz.com/categories/MotorcycleTents/

he's been very happy with it to date. we will be camping out of it on the COBDR this summer.

I'm glad you like it, but I won't lug around all that mass just so my scooter can sleep inside. That is definitely not for the minimalist.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
What kind of bike/where are you riding? (How important is weight?)

Look at compactness of packed size. Perhaps more important than a one piund difference in weight.