Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #16
AndyRew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim2kill View Post
i wear glasses, so thats important information to me! My current helmet also pinches some, but i may revert to contacts to combat this. i can wear them, im just super lazy, and like the 'grab and go' go glasses. -as annoying as they are...
My Spada Sting Helmet (exact same helmet as AF FX-39 and Fly Trekker) has just been delivered, and it is impossible to put my glasses on whilst wearing the helmet, so it's going back to the shop.

It's a real shame, as I love the helmet, and it's very well made for the price
AndyRew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
Tony K
going somewhere

Oddometer: 129
www.webbikeworld.com did a pretty through review on the AFX-39
and had a lot of good things to say about it.
Tony K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
CRSpeedy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I debated long and hard between the Fly vs. AFX. I tried on the AFX-39 at a dealership and it didn't fit me well. My nose rubbed against the nose piece that sits above the chin guard and felt a bit awkward in general (and it's not like I have a giant nose--I don't think so, anyway!)

At another dealership, I tried on the Fly Trekker and was immediately sold. They look like very similar helmets when you check out photos of them online, but the Fly felt much, much better on my head. No more nose rubbing, the padding was more comfortable, and it was just a better fit in general. I also liked the vents and the overall style of the Fly more than the AFX.

Having bought and ridden with the Fly, I must say I'm impressed. For such an inexpensive helmet, this feels every bit as comfortable as my Troy Lee Designs SE3 dirt helmet.

If anyone is debating between the AFX and the Fly, go track them down at a dealer and try them both on. Perhaps the AFX will fit you better, but if your experience is anything like mine, the Fly is well worth the extra $10.
CRSpeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSpeedy View Post
I debated long and hard between the Fly vs. AFX. I tried on the AFX-39 at a dealership and it didn't fit me well. My nose rubbed against the nose piece that sits above the chin guard and felt a bit awkward in general (and it's not like I have a giant nose--I don't think so, anyway!)

At another dealership, I tried on the Fly Trekker and was immediately sold. They look like very similar helmets when you check out photos of them online, but the Fly felt much, much better on my head. No more nose rubbing, the padding was more comfortable, and it was just a better fit in general. I also liked the vents and the overall style of the Fly more than the AFX.

Having bought and ridden with the Fly, I must say I'm impressed. For such an inexpensive helmet, this feels every bit as comfortable as my Troy Lee Designs SE3 dirt helmet.

If anyone is debating between the AFX and the Fly, go track them down at a dealer and try them both on. Perhaps the AFX will fit you better, but if your experience is anything like mine, the Fly is well worth the extra $10.
Where'd you try the AFX on? I'm in Longmont and want to try that one on before I buy. I tried on the Fly and the sizing wasn't right for me. Fine helmet, but AFAIK the padding on the two is pretty different.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRew View Post
My Spada Sting Helmet (exact same helmet as AF FX-39 and Fly Trekker) has just been delivered, and it is impossible to put my glasses on whilst wearing the helmet, so it's going back to the shop.

It's a real shame, as I love the helmet, and it's very well made for the price

As a glasses wearer, this concerns me.....

details please

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
aim2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
I wear glasses and about a week ago got a FX39. Have just a little trouble getting the glasses on with the helmet on but I am coming from a HJC flip to this helmet. With just a week of wearing the helmet, I find it easier and easier to get my glasses on. I love this helmet btw. For me, no hotspots even when new. Helmet fits properly and I am looking forward to when I get it broke in as I don't care for having my cheeks pressed in so much (not painful, just tight). I bought the AFX over the Fly due to the strap connection on the AFX. It is a tab that goes into a ratcheting thingie. I can hook it up and take it off with my gloves on. Beats the crap out of the double D ring system the Fly uses.

I would buy this helmet again.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #22
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,694
Interesting. I was under the impression these are the exact same helmets, made by another company but branded for AFX and Fly, except for the ratchet versus d-rings.

I purchased the AFX helmet and like it a lot. It’s loud though, at least I think so, and especially if there is much cross wind. I don’t wear glasses. It seems to flow a LOT of air and in fact I get a lot of air across my eyes, even with the vents closed. Not enough they dry out, but still seems like a lot across my face and eyes. I think it’s to keep the lens from fogging, which it seems to do well. I bought a large and it’s pretty close to 3.5+ lbs (I weighed it).

It fits well and the cheek pads were annoying at first, but seem to fit perfectly after a couple weeks or so.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
aim2kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Yes, I was also under the impression they were made by the same company...

Either way, I still think it's what I am after. I am pretty used to getting glasses on under a helmet, as I currently have a full face Fulmer. I simply pop the visor open and wiggle them on in! It is probably quite the riot to watch...

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown
aim2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
takman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I got the AFX 39 version.

I usually fit well into the XXL size HJC and Shoei helmets as I guess I have a rounder head.
This was not as round a fit, but it's still comfy in size XL.
The neck strap is totally used up/ cinched as far as the strap allows.
If you have a small jaw/neck, this may be a concern as the strap may not tighten enough.

I don't wear glasses but I can barely fit Habervision goggles into the opening so I would think glasses won't be too big a problem.

Only been able to do one slow speed ride so no real feedback on the visor buffeting yet.
Visor is clear as the reviews say, not distortion to my eyes.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
All,

They are made by the same factory, using the same shell. I am really, really not sure, just seat of the pants, not certain, please don't quote me because I may be wrong, etc. but I think the Fly version has a different, more round shape to the EPS liner. Important to be really careful with statements like this because so frequently one person describes a helmet shape as oval, while another may say the same helmet is round.

The AFX definitely fits bigger, 100% sure of this. It also seems more oval. I hope to eventually compare them back to back with several testers.

CRSpeedy, were you a Medium in the AFX and a Large in the Fly? Your descrip sounds like this is the case, because that is the shell break.

BP

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #26
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,008
I tried on the Fly hemet at Iron Pony. It fit me extremely well for the brief time I had it on. I also tried on a Shoei, but the shape is all wrong for me. I ended up buying a Joe Rocket Hybrid, because of the rounder more standard shape and the fact that it is an HJC, which has historically fit me very well - and it did. I would have gone with the Fly, but the angular shape just wasn't doing it for me. But I think it's pretty darn good in general.

I was checking the shield distortion at the point, for reference. Seems they all have the visors a bit low when flipped and also have some distortion at the point where it contacts the chin bar, but so what. That is where I glance at the speedo and tach so it isn't some major disturbance at this point.

As for glasses, I do make sure the frames fit in helmets before buying the frames. But that won't do jack for glasses you already own. I have read where people are disassembling the cheek pads, trimming foam, and reassembling them with good results both for fit and for glasses.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
CRSpeedy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Where'd you try the AFX on? I'm in Longmont and want to try that one on before I buy. I tried on the Fly and the sizing wasn't right for me. Fine helmet, but AFAIK the padding on the two is pretty different.
I tried the AFX on at Fay Myers, which is a bit of a drive for you. I believe Sun carried the AFX-37 (previous model) in the past, so they may have the AFX-39 in stock now. That would certainly make for a shorter drive for you.

BP, you're right. I was a medium on the AFX and a large on the Fly. For what it's worth, I've always worn a medium in all of my other helmets (Troy Lee Designs, SixSixOne, Shoei). I could have squeezed into a medium Fly, but it was a little too tight for comfort. I didn't have any nose rubbing issues on the medium Fly, though--only the medium AFX.
CRSpeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #28
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I accidentally picked up the fly on Saturday (the guy earned my business, and I needed a new lid anyway).

one quick little jaunt was awesome, this is an awesome around town helmet. breathes good, comfy, great visibility.

one commute told me what I needed to know about highway speeds...hey, it has a visor--wind-wise, it's a good compromise between a street helmet and a dirt helmet, but it catches and pulls with the wind once you turn your head to check blind spots.

I wear glasses when I'm not going to be riding, and contacts when I'm going to be riding, and I was able to get my glasses on right in the store, but I couldn't on the quick little ride? I dunno. it's tricky, and I'll be attempting it again, I'm sure :)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #29
fierstf
girl power

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
All,

They are made by the same factory, using the same shell. I am really, really not sure, just seat of the pants, not certain, please don't quote me because I may be wrong, etc. but I think the Fly version has a different, more round shape to the EPS liner. Important to be really careful with statements like this because so frequently one person describes a helmet shape as oval, while another may say the same helmet is round.

BP

Hope that helps.

BP
I also own the AFX 39 and for the price I like it. I ordered it online and I was told that sizes run a bit large so I decided to stay with a medium helmet. I can't compare it to the Fly since I have never tried one on. However, compared to my street helmet (Shoei RF1000), I found the AFX to be more round. I found that I got a hot spot on my forehead, so it took some tweaking to get it comfortable. I eventually shaved down the foam in the front to make it work for me. I had no issues wearing sunglasses with the helmet.

It is quick and easy to remove the shield if you want to wear goggles. My only complaint is that I found a bit of distortion with the shield. It is much more curved than the shield on my other helmets and it felt like my vision was slightly distorted when the shield was down. Has anyone else had this issue?
fierstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #30
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSpeedy View Post
I tried the AFX on at Fay Myers, which is a bit of a drive for you. I believe Sun carried the AFX-37 (previous model) in the past, so they may have the AFX-39 in stock now. That would certainly make for a shorter drive for you.

BP, you're right. I was a medium on the AFX and a large on the Fly. For what it's worth, I've always worn a medium in all of my other helmets (Troy Lee Designs, SixSixOne, Shoei). I could have squeezed into a medium Fly, but it was a little too tight for comfort. I didn't have any nose rubbing issues on the medium Fly, though--only the medium AFX.
I ordered the 39 from Atomic last week, I'll chime in here when it gets in. FWIW, anyone local can try on the Fly at Rocky Mountain Kawi on 119 in Longmont, they had most of the sizes when I went in.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote