Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #61
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Yes , i drilled an extra hole in the mechanism in between the highest two hole so that it would hold open just a crack without blowing shut. Works great now.

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #62
Guyonabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I have this helmet as well. It is sitting on the shelf. The adj vents rattle like crazy. Anyone else getting this?
Guyonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #63
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDig View Post
Yes , i drilled an extra hole in the mechanism in between the highest two hole so that it would hold open just a crack without blowing shut. Works great now.
I'm glad to hear that worked. That's what I plan to do, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the reply.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #64
jjstunts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Fly Trekker

I have one and love it. At speed on my HP2 Enduro w/ no windshield, it has the least amount of "lift" from the visor catching the wind of all of my dual sport helmets which are the Arai XD, Shoei DS, & the Icon Variant. I was a bit nervous about the quality because of the price after having to send back the Bell Revolver because it was absolute crap, but the Fly Trekker fits great and the fit and finish is top-notch. I have not been able to find anywhere any tinted shields for it but that's fine because you can actually wear goggles and still operate the flip down shield! I can't do that with any of my other helmets. Below is a photo with goggles. In my opinion, it is the best helmet, cost wise, out there.

jjstunts screwed with this post 12-19-2011 at 07:29 PM
jjstunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #65
livetofly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
On my AFX version there is just enough resistance or friction to the face shield that it will stay cracked if I lift it up a little bit from the fully closed position. Also, I haven't noticed any rattling of the vents on my helmet either. Though I will say they don't seem particularly robust or heavy duty.

I still haven't figured out how to solve my problem of my head turning into an ice cube during winter rides. I think a helmet skirt is what I need, but not sure if any of those fit on the shape of these helmets. If I don't figure out something soon I may just quit riding in the cold until I get another helmet.
Pura Vida !
livetofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #66
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by underkill View Post
Has anyone heard of this?

Fly Trekker... dual sport helmet, has the regular street shield and offroad visor.

Comes in high vis yellow?!

http://www.flyracing.com/moto/race-w...trekker-helmet

Anyway... searched and didn't find anything about it... Anyone have one? like it? Does it work with goggles? Was originally researching the Fly Carbon offroad helmets, but liked my Shoei Hornet enough to consider another one like it...
Bought mine about 4 weeks ago so far so good. A little windy inside on the freeway but I love it otherwise.

An oddity about it that really isnt that much of a big deal when completely down on the freeway look down and to your right or left, like you are looking for traffic in your blind spot my visor falls open a little but shuts again when you look forward. Not a deal breaker - just oddness.

montibank screwed with this post 12-09-2011 at 10:41 PM
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #67
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 283
I had a Caberg Konda Flippylid prior to this......Caberg was way noisier .......I'm surprised at how little the wind tugs at the visor even at 3 digit speeds!
Attached Images

Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #68
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Help me decide pls

Hi y'all. I am into replacing my helmet. Cant decide on whether AFX or FLY? Same factory, same molding but different sizing and side pads. Any other differences? Have just read the precious comments on here as I am too far away to try them on, my head circumference sizing 57cm and that's S for AFX and is that the same sizing for FLY? And what if I bought M, would that be too big for me? I have an M-Airoh.
Comments from same sizings as mine would be appreciated. Thanks for all already.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #69
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Do any of you guys have bad fogging problems with this helmet? I just got one last month, and it fogs up right away. The face shield is pretty much useless for me off-road, because it stays fogged up unless I'm doing more than 35mph or so. Seems like the air flow in this helmet makes my breath go straight up to the face shield, instead of out the bottom.

Mine is stiff enough to crack the shield open about 1/4" at the bottom and stay there, but it still fogs up.

Any tips?
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #70
WeeMcD
V-Strom explorer

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Do any of you guys have bad fogging problems with this helmet? I just got one last month, and it fogs up right away. The face shield is pretty much useless for me off-road, because it stays fogged up unless I'm doing more than 35mph or so. Seems like the air flow in this helmet makes my breath go straight up to the face shield, instead of out the bottom.

Mine is stiff enough to crack the shield open about 1/4" at the bottom and stay there, but it still fogs up.

Any tips?
I drilled a new slot to allow it to better stay open. This has reduced fogging, but I haven't taken it on the trails since the surgery. I did just run a full review of the helmet on my site (see signature). Hope that helps a few people.

"When all else fails get a bigger hammer."
WeeMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #71
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 470
Cool2

I tried both the fly and afx versions. I bought the afx due to cheeks pads will allow the use of glasses more easily. The cheek pads in the fly version seem to be thicker and come up higher on the inside of the helmet. Yes it's cold due to about a 3 mm space between top of shield and helmet. Thinking of a fix for that. Have had no problems with lift at highway speed but I'd be comparing to a standard Mx helmet which can have substantial lift or turbulence at highway speeds.

Overall I'm pleased with my afx purchase. Pretty good quality at a good price.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #72
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMcD View Post
I drilled a new slot to allow it to better stay open. This has reduced fogging, but I haven't taken it on the trails since the surgery. I did just run a full review of the helmet on my site (see signature). Hope that helps a few people.
Yeah, I saw your review. Mine is stiff enough to stay open a little without any mods, but it still fogs up badly offroad, to the point where I just leave the face shield open so I can see. I'm pretty close to sending it back.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #73
bigredcherokee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I originally bought the AFX but after sending it back twice for two diff sizes abandoned it and went with the Fly Trekker. The fit was much better than the AFX and it was in line with my size

I don't have any rattle with the vents and its easy to get glasses on with the Trekker. There is an anti fog spray that you can wipe down on the shield to keep it from fogging up. The only time this happens to me is if its really humid out after a rain or if its raining.

The statements is true the outer shell is just about the same for the AFX but their is a diff on the padding inside.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #74
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
I've got the fly trekker and now have about 3,000 or so miles on it. I can not get the shield to stay shut at highway speed. It will open just barely. It's really pissing me off and at night when I don't have goggles on it lets a little more wind in. I tried tightening the side screws already and it didnt help. Any suggestions?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #75
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I've got the fly trekker and now have about 3,000 or so miles on it. I can not get the shield to stay shut at highway speed. It will open just barely. It's really pissing me off and at night when I don't have goggles on it lets a little more wind in. I tried tightening the side screws already and it didnt help. Any suggestions?
Make sure the fiober washers are in between the helmet and the shield.

If not you can get some rubber ones at Ace and it will cure it.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote